Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Rumor Mill: Croom to the Ravens?

Ogre

Rumor Mill: Croom to the Ravens?
« on: January 09, 2008, 10:03:07 AM »
Ravens rumors
ESPN's Chris Mortensen mentioned a couple new names for the Ravens' head coaching vacancy this morning on NFL Sunday Countdown.

Mississippi State coach Sylvester Croom and Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer are possible candidates, according to Mortensen.

Croom led the Bulldogs to a 7-5 record last season and their first bowl berth since 2000. He was named SEC Coach of the Year by his peers and by the Associated Press. Croom took over at Mississippi State in 2004, becoming the first African-American head coach in the history of the SEC. In four years, he has a 17-30 record.

Croom played at Alabama with Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome. In fact, Newsome is quoted in Croom's bio on the Mississippi State Web site:

"In my career, I’ve been around a lot of great leaders," Ozzie Newsome, Hall of Fame tight end, current general manager of the Baltimore Ravens and former teammate of Croom’s at Alabama, said. "And he led that huddle, trust me. He was impressive at a lot of things, but mostly a leader."

Croom is 51-years-old.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/blog/2008/01/quick_ravens_rumors.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: Rumor Mill: Croom to the Ravens?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 10:55:11 AM »
This would shock me. Not from the stand point of him getting a HC job in the pros because that is where he has spent most of his career, but becasue I think he took the job at Miss. St. to turn that program around and prove to everyone that he could do it. He is well on his way to turning the program around but I don't think he is done yet. He has got a good young QB and his defense has been paying really well and they have an opportunity to make a big splas in the SEC in a couple of years.

With that being said though, if you get a shot to be a HC in the pro's, I would think you would have to seriously think about the opportunity. Should be interesting...thanks for the update!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Rumor Mill: Croom to the Ravens?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 11:08:33 AM »
Ravens rumors
ESPN's Chris Mortensen mentioned a couple new names for the Ravens' head coaching vacancy this morning on NFL Sunday Countdown.

Mississippi State coach Sylvester Croom and Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer are possible candidates, according to Mortensen.

Croom led the Bulldogs to a 7-5 record last season and their first bowl berth since 2000. He was named SEC Coach of the Year by his peers and by the Associated Press. Croom took over at Mississippi State in 2004, becoming the first African-American head coach in the history of the SEC. In four years, he has a 17-30 record.

Croom played at Alabama with Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome. In fact, Newsome is quoted in Croom's bio on the Mississippi State Web site:

"In my career, I’ve been around a lot of great leaders," Ozzie Newsome, Hall of Fame tight end, current general manager of the Baltimore Ravens and former teammate of Croom’s at Alabama, said. "And he led that huddle, trust me. He was impressive at a lot of things, but mostly a leader."

Croom is 51-years-old.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/blog/2008/01/quick_ravens_rumors.html

Two words: Rooney rule
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

War Eagle!!!