Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Captain is getting a new TV - Opinions Wanted

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
The Captain is getting a new TV - Opinions Wanted
« on: August 18, 2009, 03:40:13 PM »
Captain Carl is getting a new tv for his birthday because I am just that kind of wife - gentle, kind and totally understanding about how much better football looks in high def...

So he asked me to solicit opinions from you degenerates about what he should get.  Trying to stay under $2k.  High def or plasma?  he is thinking around 51". 

Specific experiences one way or another would be appreciated. 

Thanks - I'll hang up and listen...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: The Captain is getting a new TV - Opinions Wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 03:41:36 PM »
The only thing I would suggest is staying away from plasma.  You still have to worry about screen burn with plasmas.  LCD's do not have that issue.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 03:42:39 PM »
I love my Vizio.  Great picture at a reasonable price.  As far as the Plasmas, I have always heard that they do not last near as long a standard high def.  I believe that is why they have come so far down in price.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 03:43:10 PM by AUTailgatingRules »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »
Captain Carl is getting a new tv for his birthday because I am just that kind of wife - gentle, kind and totally understanding about how much better football looks in high def...

So he asked me to solicit opinions from you degenerates about what he should get.  Trying to stay under $2k.  High def or plasma?  he is thinking around 51".  

Hi-Def and Plasma are two completely different things. I think that was just a typo though. Both LCD and Plasma's are both high definition if you have something 720p or above.

The arguments are between LCD and Plasma. If it is going to be in a bright room with lots of windows, I would choose LCD. If it will be in a darker "home theater" room, I would go plasma. Plasma's can have a problem with glare in bright rooms whereas that is not an issue with LCD. Plasma's do have deeper blacks that tend to make movies look more crisp, but again, only if you are in a darker room. I prefer watching sports on an LCD.

As far as the burn-in issue...that has mostly been corrected with the newer TV's. I haven't seen it happen with anything bought in the last 2 years. It would only be an issue if you have static image on a TV for 75-100 hours a week. (Like a network logo or video game paused)

Go 1080P
I would suggest going 120hz refresh rate...but that isn't a deal breaker if you find a cheap 60hz.

As far as brands...I would rank them like this.
LCD: 1. Sony 2. Samsung 3. Sharp
Plasma: 1. Panasonic 2. Toshiba

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 03:49:58 PM by Aubie16 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 03:48:06 PM »

So he asked me to solicit opinions from you degenerates about what he should get.  Trying to stay under $2k.  High def or plasma?  he is thinking around 51".  

Samsung has a 52" LCD (1080, 120Hz) for $1799 at Sam's Club and Best Buy.

If you find a better deal anywhere, then my name ain't Nathan Arizona.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 03:48:19 PM »
The 52" Panasonic with the surround sound was the ticket for me.  Right around $2k maybe more with install.  And LCD is the way to go.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

wesfau2

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 03:48:46 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 03:49:27 PM »
If it is going in a room with a lot of light, go with an LCD...but ,make sure you at least get the 120Hz refresh rate on it, and splurge for the 1080p as well. 
If it will be in a darker room, don't listen to these fucks...go with the Plasma.  Make sure you get the 600Hz in the Plasma screen though.

I have been watching them close lately, and you can get a 50" Plasma 1080p, 600Hz in the neighborhood of $1,200 now.

Also, no matter which way you decide, go with the Samsung.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 04:08:28 PM »
double poon

Never figured you for a censor-man.

Pussy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 12:25:10 AM »
I love my 1080p Samsung Lcd.
A few nice choices.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9293481&type=product&id=1218076126907
Samsung 55' 1080p 120 hertz $1899

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9293524&type=product&id=1218076082131
Samsung 52' 1080p 60 hertz Lcd $1599

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 03:45:59 PM »
I've had my Samsung 1080P 40" for a year and a half now.  I have had no issues and the picture is phenomenal.  We have a smaller, medium lit room, so that was about as big as I needed to go.  When you hook it up with a surround sound system and a Blu-Ray and crank that mothafucka up, it will blow your mind, eardrums, and inner thighs all at the same time.

But that's if your looking for that kind of thing.

I gots a smaller Vizio in the bedroom.  720P, so not as fancy.  Still, a decent picture for the price.  You can get more for your money with Vizio, for sure.  Which may leave you room to spend on said surround sound system and Blu-Ray.  With as many HD programs that offer Dolby Digital 5.1 nowadays...having surround sound is a must, in my opinion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 05:08:50 PM »
We already have a surround sound system, so that is not an issue. 

Guys, I really appreciate the input, and will accept any more you care to offer about this!  Hopefully he will make a decision by the weekend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 06:38:39 AM »
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8869147&type=product&id=1210290068342

Pioneer is the best looking Tv I have ever seen, I cant afford it but I can dream!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 07:26:58 AM »
We already have a surround sound system, so that is not an issue. 

Guys, I really appreciate the input, and will accept any more you care to offer about this!  Hopefully he will make a decision by the weekend.

The only other thing I can think of concerning plasma is that if there will be any gaming done on this TV do not get a plasma.  Many games have things that will stay in the corner of the tv known as a hud.  Many times the information or graphic in the hud will not change very much thus also burning the image into the screen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 08:42:24 AM »
The only other thing I can think of concerning plasma is that if there will be any gaming done on this TV do not get a plasma.  Many games have things that will stay in the corner of the tv known as a hud.  Many times the information or graphic in the hud will not change very much thus also burning the image into the screen.

So do graphic heavy television channels like ESPN (and all other ESPN networks), TWC, News channels, etc...

LCD's have come a long ways and would probably be your best bet.

Also remember to get the right cable connections.  Spend the extra on HDMI and at least decent cables.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BZ770

• BZ770 Is The Most Interesting Person On The X
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 11:32:50 PM »
I got bashed for owning a Vizio LCD on another forum the other day by Bamagrad. He was on some kick about DLP and I told him it sucked and was on the way out.  I bought my 47" Vizio LCD this year for 898.  I Got it at Sams Club.  They had the best deal and I went everywhere.  My second choice was a Samsung.  They had the best picture quality in my opinion of any that I saw in the stores.  Whatever you purchase buy the extended warranty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 07:56:12 AM »
I got bashed for owning a Vizio LCD on another forum the other day by Bamagrad. He was on some kick about DLP and I told him it sucked and was on the way out.  I bought my 47" Vizio LCD this year for 898.  I Got it at Sams Club.  They had the best deal and I went everywhere.  My second choice was a Samsung.  They had the best picture quality in my opinion of any that I saw in the stores.  Whatever you purchase buy the extended warranty.

I have a smaller Vizio in the bedroom and the picture is very good on it.

Also Vizio is an American company if that means anything to you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 09:06:44 AM »
I can definitely believe that the Vizio is high quality, but I have never owned one.
We do have a 32" Olevia in the bedroom, and another in little man's room.  The picture quality is great, and they are both just the 720p.  However, their speakers are teh suck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Jumbo

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 09:19:39 AM »
I can definitely believe that the Vizio is high quality, but I have never owned one.
We do have a 32" Olevia in the bedroom, and another in little man's room.  The picture quality is great, and they are both just the 720p.  However, their speakers are teh suck.
Corch Yox could get some sound out of them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions