Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Article On Pat White - Includes Saban Dig

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Article On Pat White - Includes Saban Dig
« on: August 11, 2009, 01:20:43 PM »
http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/08/from_daphne_high_school_to_dol.html

From Daphne High School to Dolphins, Pat White proves the doubters wrong
Posted by Dave Hyde, Orlando Sentinel August 10, 2009 2:30 PM

DAVIE, Fla. -- The rookie's arm has been moved higher overhead, his stride shortened and his shoulder closed some to smooth a first-summer flaw in the throwing motion.

"To keep the ball from sailing," Pat White says.

But that mind. No one is tinkering too much with that.

There's no need.

"I only needed one team to believe," White said.

You can go to distant history of his junior high and early high school years, too, when he competed against the coach's son at quarterback. He was the backup each season. He never gave up. His junior year he was named the starter.

"The coach came to our house then and said some things had been said and done through the years and wanted to apologize," said White's father, James. "I just said, 'Don't mistreat my child.' Which he never did."

But the quintessential Pat White story, the one that covers the whole file of quarterback questions and smart decisions came during his college recruitment. He initially chose Louisiana State. It was close to his home of Daphne, Ala. It was the team he followed as a kid. His mom was pushing it.

LSU recruited White as an, "athlete," and he knew what that meant. Quarterback wasn't promised. It probably wasn't even on the radar. But when West Virginia began recruiting White only as a quarterback and had a spread offense to custom-fit his skills, LSU changed its tune.

Its coach told White he could play quarterback.

"I didn't think they were being honest," White says.

Its coach also said the previous year's top quarterback recruit, JaMarcus Russell, might not have the brains to play quarterback. Like White, Russell was from the Mobile, Ala., area. He knew Russell.

"I thought, 'If they were going to say that about him to me, what were they going to say about me to a [recruit] a year from now?' " White says. "I just didn't trust what I was being told."

So White went to West Virginia, started four years, won four bowl games and set records as a passer and a runner.

But here's the kicker to that story: The LSU coach was Nick Saban, the guy who took lying to a new level a few years later as Dolphins coach.

So give White points for figuring in a few weeks what it took everyone in South Florida a few years to understand. But then White has always been a quick read, as well as hard of hearing to detractors.

"Everywhere he goes people have said he couldn't do this and couldn't do that," says James White. "Couldn't beat out his competition in high school. Wasn't a big-time college player. It's the same in the NFL. But I love it when people tell him what he can't do."

It required a bit of unconventional thinking to draft White in the second round at quarterback.

White isn't the NFL prototype: a 6-foot left-hander who played entirely from the shotgun formation in college. At the Senior Bowl in January, he had trouble handling snaps from center early in the practice week. But on game day, he was the Most Valuable Player.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Article On Pat White - Includes Saban Dig
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 01:26:52 PM »
Ouch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:53:51 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 09:08:58 PM »
Pow, pow!

It's the fucking Catalina Wine Mixer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 01:56:43 AM »
It's the fucking Catalina Wine Mixer.
Pow
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 09:37:57 PM »
However did he mention what the barn had to say. I can tell you what Tubbs said "son you will play DB you just don't have the arm to play QB, now let's pray."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 10:47:15 PM »
However did he mention what the barn had to say. I can tell you what Tubbs said "son you will play DB you just don't have the arm to play QB, now let's pray."

wat
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 06:24:13 PM »
And?  Coach Tuberville was telling him the truth, of course he could've turned back around and said that they want him at QB.  How's Star Jackson going to look at Safety?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 08:47:30 PM »
And?  Coach Tuberville was telling him the truth, of course he could've turned back around and said that they want him at QB.  How's Star Jackson going to look at Safety?

Well played sir well played.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban