Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Sacrilege

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Sacrilege
« on: July 27, 2009, 09:47:47 AM »
http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/07/is_urban_meyer_the_secs_next_b.html

Is Urban Meyer the SEC's next 'Bear'? Orlando writer says that may be so
Posted by Mike Bianchi, The Orlando Sentinel July 26, 2009 12:56 PM

HOOVER, Ala. -- Controversial Press-Register sports columnist Paul Finebaum created a stir throughout the Southeastern Conference recently when he wrote a column suggesting that Urban Meyer's departure for Notre Dame is inevitable.

Unfortunately for Alabama fans, the column wasn't based on fact. It was based on hope.

You see, Alabama football, with its legions of fanatical fans and its horde of frenetic media, is scared.

Very scared.

The slow-talking, whiskey-sipping fans up here are downright spooked because all these years they've been waiting impatiently for the second coming of Bear Bryant. And now, finally and frighteningly, they are seeing it happen. Except the resurrection of the Bear is not taking place in Tuscaloosa; it's happening in Gainesville, where Meyer is the closest thing the SEC has ever seen to cloning arguably the greatest coach in college football history.

Meyer has the demeanor. He has the domination. He has everything the Bear had except the houndstooth hat.

You should have seen the look of horror on the face of an Alabama fan Thursday here in Bearmingham, er, Birmingham when I suggested that Meyer might be the SEC's new Bear.

"Are you kidding?" said Sean Shoemaker, who drove in from nearby Hueytown to stand in a hotel lobby and catch a glimpse of Alabama coach Nick Saban arriving for SEC Media Days. "There will never, ever be another Bear. If Urban Meyer ever wins seven national championships -- one more than the Bear -- then I might be willing to discuss it."

Meyer has already won two of the last three national championships and might win another this year. Bryant won six national titles during 25 years at Alabama. If -- and that's a big if -- Meyer keeps up his current championship pace and stays at Florida for 25 years, he would double the Bear's championship total.

The Bear himself once called Florida the SEC's "sleeping giant" because it is the biggest, richest university in the middle of one of the most talent-rich states in the nation. Who knew it would be the Baby Bear -- Meyer himself -- who shook awake this slumbering giant and turned him into a savage beast?

This is why the Crimson masses want Meyer at Notre Dame -- because they realize he has the innovation, work ethic and recruiting prowess to minimize Alabama and further solidify Florida as the SEC's dominant program. That process started with Steve Spurrier in the 1990s, but Meyer has taken it to another level.

Spurrier, for all his genius, could never be compared to the Bear in style or personality. Let's face it, Spurrier has never been maniacal in his dedication and drive. When he was at UF, he liked to spend his offseason playing golf.

But Meyer has no real hobbies. He's like the old Bear himself, who once groaned, "I ain't never had much fun. I ain't never been two inches away from football. Some coaches go fishing or hunting or golfing. Not me. All I want to do is be alone, studying how not to lose."

Funny, but everybody thinks of Meyer as a new-age coach, but at his core he is old school. He idolized Woody Hayes when he was growing up. He preaches toughness and fundamentals. In his first practices at Florida, Meyer introduced his new team to "The Pit" -- where players would lug boulders up and down stadium steps while heavy steel chains covered their shoulders and chests. It was like a scene from The Junction Boys -- the movie that chronicled the Bear's brutal first 10 days of practice when he took over at Texas A&M.

"I felt like I was in hell," former Florida receiver Dallas Baker once said of Meyer's first season at UF.

Says quarterback Tim Tebow now: "When you're around him (Meyer), it's all about old-school toughness and dedication and a 'go hit 'em in the mouth' type of attitude."

True story: In Meyer's first year at Florida, the Gators played Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Before the game, the Jumbotron on the stadium scoreboard showed old video clips and sound bites of the Bear.

"I'm standing near the goalpost and they flip that scoreboard on," Meyer remembers with a smile. "Next thing I know, Bear Bryant is right there talking to me. I'll never forget thinking, 'That guy's not supposed to be here anymore.'"

That's the thing, the Bear is not here anymore.

Not in Alabama anyway.

And this is why Tide Nation feels so conflicted. This is why the Birmingham News ran a fan poll earlier this week, and Meyer actually beat out Saban as the best coach in the SEC.

This is Alabama's worst nightmare.

The Bear has finally risen again.

But he's coaching at Florida under the alias of Urban Meyer.

I expect bombings and riots to ensue after this one...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Sacrilege
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 10:03:17 AM »
"Are you kidding?" said Sean Shoemaker, who drove in from nearby Hueytown to stand in a hotel lobby and catch a glimpse of Alabama coach Nick Saban arriving for SEC Media Days. "

:rofl:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 10:06:11 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:09:02 AM »
Doesn't this fucker know that the Bahr is back...and his name is Nick?
What a Moran.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 10:16:53 AM »
Whaaaaaaaat???  Sumbody needs to give at boy a reel ass whoopin'.  

In all seriousness, while that article was written with all the same bias and slant as any Finebaum article.  Just reverse the names Meyer/Saban....UF/UA and it would come out the same.  I have a question.  Has football changed enough over the last 25-30 years that 3-4 MNC's would be equal to the dominance of Bear Bryant and others from that era?

In my opinion, college football is simply not the same game in that the playing field has been leveled so much that it's much harder for a team to dominate for any length of time.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 10:34:18 AM »
Has football changed enough over the last 25-30 years that 3-4 MNC's would be equal to the dominance of Bear Bryant and others from that era?

In my opinion, college football is simply not the same game in that the playing field has been leveled so much that it's much harder for a team to dominate for any length of time.  

I would agree with you.  In the days of scholarship reductions, instantaneous information retrieval, and most school's boosters being under control it is not the same as it was then.  
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 10:35:03 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

number1bammer

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 10:39:02 AM »
Doesn't this fucker know that the Bahr is back...and his name is Nick?
What a Moran.

I agree, Nick is more like the da Bahr than anyone.  :vn: btw, Is that really how bear is spelled? Fuck I have been spelling it wrong for years. :sad:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 10:39:08 AM »
Whaaaaaaaat???  Sumbody needs to give at boy a reel ass whoopin'.  

In all seriousness, while that article was written with all the same bias and slant as any Finebaum article.  Just reverse the names Meyer/Saban....UF/UA and it would come out the same.  I have a question.  Has football changed enough over the last 25-30 years that 3-4 MNC's would be equal to the dominance of Bear Bryant and others from that era?

That's exactly why I think that so far Meyer is lightyears ahead of ol Bahr.

First of all, Meyer has to deal with the BCS which actually requires you to win your last game. We've all seen what a joke half of bammer's championships were during that era. On top of that, you have tighter rules on paying players, etc. Let alone limited scholarships which prevent Urban from signing 200 players just to keep them away from other SEC teams.

Compare Bear & Urban's first 4 years. Meyer had won two NC's and two SEC Championships. Bear had one of each and didn't get his second until his seventh season at uat. And UF's the strongest favorite to win it all again this year, which could make it 3 out of 5 years to win the NC and SECC under Urban's rule. Bahr won 6 national titles and 13 SEC titles in 25 seasons; a quarter century.

Bammers are quick to say "Just wait til Tebow gets outta there. He's the only reason Urban's winnin right now."

Tebow wasn't even the starter for their first NC in '06, and Florida has way more all-around talent now than they did then. And isn't that a credit to Urban as a Head Coach as well? Get the talent in there that can win games for you? A retarded monkey could have won with the players Bryant had, and he couldn't have done that with 25 scholarships a year.

Oh, and Urban's never had a losing season as head coach...ever...

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:28:43 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 11:20:16 AM »
That's exactly why I think that so far Meyer is lightyears ahead of ol Bahr.

First of all, Meyer has to deal with the BCS which actually requires you to win your last game. We've all seen what a joke half of bammer's championships were during that era. On top of that, you have tighter rules on paying players, etc. Let alone limited scholarships which prevent Urban from signing 200 players just to keep them away from other SEC teams.

Compare Bear & Urban's first 4 years. Meyer had won two NC's and two SEC Championships. Bear had one of each and didn't get his second until his seventh season at uat. And UF's the strongest favorite to win it all again this year, which could make it 3 out of 5 years to win the NC and SECC under Urban's rule. Bahr won 6 national titles and 13 SEC titles with a 232-46-9 record in 25 seasons; a quarter century.

Bammers are quick to say "Just wait til Tebow gets outta there. He's the only reason Urban's winnin right now."

Tebow wasn't even the starter for their first NC in '06, and Florida has way more all-around talent now than they did then. And isn't that a credit to Urban as a Head Coach as well? Get the talent in there that can win games for you? A retarded monkey could have won with the players Bryant had, and he couldn't have done that with 25 scholarships a year.

Oh, and Urban's never had a losing season as head coach...ever...

It really depends on the criteria for becoming a "Bahr".  Paul "Bear" Bryant is a legend because he sustained a dominant program at one school for so long.  6 national titles (and let's be honest, he should have had 1 or 2 more with Notre Dame getting spoonfed a few) is a tremendous feat.  Look at Joe Paterno or Bobby Bowden.  Both have been at the same school for years and each only have two-three NCs each. 

Saying "wait until Tebow leaves" is entirely correct.  Wait until Percy Harvin is gone.  Wait until some real attrition happens.  If Meyer can keep it up, then yeah, he'll be a "Bahr".  But until then, I think he's just having an incredible dynasty run. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 11:44:37 AM »
I'm standing near the goalpost and they flip that scoreboard on," Meyer remembers with a smile. "Next thing I know, Bear Bryant is right there talking to me. I'll never forget thinking, 'That guy's not supposed to be here anymore.'"

I hate Urban Meyer.  He is an asshole, never more so than the two kick game.  But after the statement above... the hate ratcheted down just a whit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 10:54:40 AM »
Slimebomb jumps to Bahr's defense, (of course).

But the funniest part is, this is how he teased the article...

Might it be possible, Alabama fans? Could Paul Finebaum rise up and defend you? Might you actually say "right on" to one of his columns? Weigh in with your thoughts Tuesday when Finebaum comments on what he believes was the most idiotic moment of last week's SEC Media Days.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Give me a fuckin' break...

http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/07/finebaum_urban_meyer_bear_bryant.html

Urban legend': You're all wet if you think Meyer comes close to Bear Bryant
Posted by Paul Finebaum, Sports Columnist July 28, 2009 3:57 AM

Orlando Sentinel columnist Mike Bianchi is all wet if he thinks Meyer is the second coming of Paul "Bear" Bryant Jr., says sports columnist Paul Finebaum.

Trying to pick the most insane, inane and idiotic moment from the dearly departed SEC Media Days is difficult -- kind of like to trying to choose your favorite offensive lineman from the Super Bowl Halftime Lingerie Bowl.
Columnist Paul Finebaum: Urban Meyer deserves respect, but he hasn't gone nearly far enough in his career to deserve comparison to Paul "Bear" Bryant.

The choices are well known and have been beaten to death on these pages and others. However, the most ridiculous came outside the press conferences and interview rooms where the coaches put people to sleep. It occurred on the famed "Radio Row," where legions of sportswriters turned talk show hosts interview each other about the ludicrousness of the SEC event.

I was chatting with Orlando Sentinel columnist Mike Bianchi one day about the Urban Meyer to Notre Dame furor and he turned to me and said I was pushing the rumor because Alabama fans were scared of Meyer.

"The Bear has finally risen again," Bianchi said, "but he's coaching at Florida under the alias of Urban Meyer."

The reaction was predictably radioactive.

Bianchi followed his Molotov cocktail later in his column under the heading: "Alabama fans can't get over Urban Meyer rising as the second coming of Bear Bryant."

He wrote: "You see, Alabama football, with its legions of fanatical fans and its horde of frenetic media is scared. Very scared. The slow-talking, whiskey-sipping fans up here are downright spooked because all these years they've been waiting impatiently for the second coming of Bear Bryant. And now, finally, and frighteningly, they are seeing it happen. Except the resurrection of the Bear is not taking place in Tuscaloosa. It's happening in Gainesville, where Meyer is the closest thing the SEC has ever seen to cloning arguably the greatest coach in college football history."
The real deal: Paul "Bear" Bryant, whose genius was his ability to maintain his career over decades.

First of all, to declare Urban Meyer "the greatest" anything after a couple of seasons is patently preposterous. Sports Illustrated once featured Pat Dye leaning against a goal post, saying he was the next Bear. His career was over in a year.

Steve Spurrier had the closest assault in the post-Bryant era. In his 12 years at Florida, Spurrier won a national title, six SEC crowns and had the incredible winning percentage in league play of 87-14 (.861). Spurrier's record against other SEC programs is staggering. Included in the totals are 11-1 marks against Georgia and LSU and a 10-3 mark against Auburn (with all losses coming by three points). His three worst marks in the league were against Alabama (6-3), Wait, isn't that 3 points? Why make it sound like it was a more significant defeat than the three Auburn ones?Tennessee (8-4) and Mississippi State (4-2) and he ran off a streak of 24 consecutive SEC wins. He was also battling in-state rivals Florida State and Miami while they were collecting national titles (unlike the Seminoles and Hurricanes Meyer faces).

Had Spurrier remained in Gainesville, we wouldn't be having this ridiculous Meyer discussion.

You possibly could make the same claim about Nick Saban if he had stayed in Baton Rouge. Saban won two SEC crowns and a national title in five years. His successor added a national title as well. Saban would have probably won three national titles by now on the Bayou.

Meyer is a good coach. His record of 45-9 and two national titles speak for themselves. He won at Utah as well.

However, let's see how he responds to adversity. This is the same coach that took a 31-3 beating from Mike Shula in 2005 and was 0-2 against Tommy Tuberville. There aren't many blemishes on his brief resume, and he is coaching a once in a lifetime player in Tim Tebow.

However, Bryant's genius was his ability to maintain his career over decades. He won national titles in 1961, '64, '65, '73, '78 and '79. He won his first SEC title in 1950 at Kentucky and his last outright at Alabama in 1980.

Today, more than a quarter century has passed since his death and he is still a relevant part of the discussion of college football. Who knows about Meyer? He won two national titles. He's favored to win another this year. Pete Carroll came within inches of winning three straight a couple of years ago and hasn't won another since. Tom Osborne retired from football in the '90s after winning three out of four titles.

That's where this discussion ought to be. Not whether Meyer is the next Bear Bryant.

Keith Dunnavant, the respected journalist, author and historian, read the Bianchi column the other day and yawned.

"We've seen this movie before," said Dunnavant, whose many books include "Coach, The Life of Paul 'Bear' Bryant."

"He (Meyer) deserves nothing but respect. But it strikes me as a little silly to compare him to Bryant at this stage in his career ... sort of like comparing the latest American Idol to Elvis."

What's even more absurd is Bianchi saying that Alabama fans are scared of Meyer. Alabama fans aren't afraid of anyone. If the New England Patriots were suddenly added to the schedule this fall in the opener in place of Virginia Tech, Tide fans would be talking trash about Belichick and Brady.  :rofl:

They are as passionate about Saban as Florida fans are toward Meyer. I don't know one Alabama fan who would trade Saban for Meyer. In fact, I think it's debatable whether Meyer is even a better coach than Saban (everyone knows which of these two coaches inherited more talent). I think what might be a more realistic goal for Florida fans and Florida scribes: Be convinced you have the best coach in the SEC before you started growling you have the man to stand side by side with the greatest who ever lived.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 11:02:42 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 11:02:42 AM »
It really depends on the criteria for becoming a "Bahr".  Paul "Bear" Bryant is a legend because he sustained a dominant program at one school for so long.  6 national titles (and let's be honest, he should have had 1 or 2 more with Notre Dame getting spoonfed a few) is a tremendous feat.  Look at Joe Paterno or Bobby Bowden.  Both have been at the same school for years and each only have two-three NCs each. 

Saying "wait until Tebow leaves" is entirely correct.  Wait until Percy Harvin is gone.  Wait until some real attrition happens.  If Meyer can keep it up, then yeah, he'll be a "Bahr".  But until then, I think he's just having an incredible dynasty run. 
Bingo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 11:53:19 AM »
Out of the six that they claim under Bear, is '73 the only one that's a joke?  I can't remember how it breaks down anymore.  They should've had '66 so it all comes out in the wash, but is that the only one out of those six that doesn't stand up to scrutiny?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 12:16:19 PM »
Out of the six that they claim under Bear, is '73 the only one that's a joke?  I can't remember how it breaks down anymore.  They should've had '66 so it all comes out in the wash, but is that the only one out of those six that doesn't stand up to scrutiny?

I think all of them are a joke. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 01:44:28 PM »
There are only 3 that don't have some kind of scrutiny 61', 79' and 92'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 11:03:14 AM »
Slimebomb won't drop this issue. Guess he's having writer's block with his pot stirring bullshit du'jour.

http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/08/for_impact_and_accomplishment.html

SEC's best since Bryant? For impact and accomplishment, it's Steve Spurrier
Posted by Paul Finebaum, Sports Columnist August 11, 2009 7:30 AM
(The Birmingham News/Michelle Williams)South Carolina's Steve Spurrier answers questions for members of the media during SEC Media Days 2009 at the Wynfrey Hotel in Birmingham, Ala., on Friday, July 24, 2009.

A few weeks ago, we settled the claim by some in Florida that Urban Meyer should be considered on the same pedestal with the legendary Paul "Bear" Bryant. Today, the question begging for an answer: "Who really is the best coach in the SEC since Bryant?"

Since Bryant left the game following the 1982 season, there have been many who have ascended to the throne -- from Vince Dooley to John Majors and Pat Dye. More recently, Steve Spurrier, Phillip Fulmer and Nick Saban have taken a swing.

It's never easy to go back and rank coaches. If you were measuring it simply on national titles, we could end the debate and give it to Meyer. You would also include Les Miles in the conversation.

The following is a careful analysis based on importance, impact and influence of the men who followed Bryant. If there is any weighting done in this ranking, it was given to accomplishments occurring after Bryant died.

1. Steve Spurrier (Florida, South Carolina): Easily the most significant figure in the game since Bryant. He changed the culture of Florida -- which has become the benchmark of the post-Bryant era. I'm always reminded of the great Dan Jenkins' line about the Gators in the old days: "Florida has the arrogance of Note Dame and the tradition of Wake Forest." Spurrier won a national title, six SEC crowns (he won seven on the field but one occurred while UF was on NCAA probation), and had an incredible winning percentage in league play of 87-14 (.861). He was feared by all, helped in part by his attitude and his record. He once ran off a streak of 24 consecutive SEC games.

2. Nick Saban (LSU, Alabama): Saban would deserve to be on this list even before his latest reclamation project at Alabama. His five years at LSU were spectacular, with two SEC crowns and a national title. His imprint from recruiting was astonishing as well, evidenced by LSU's three-year mark of 34-6 after he left, including another national title. At Alabama, he picked up a shattered program and, in his second season, took an unranked team to the No. 1 position in the nation for five weeks and within a hair of his third SEC title and another shot at the national crown. His team starts the current season ranked No. 5.

Finebaum: Spurrier changed the culture of Florida and made the SEC tremble.

3. Urban Meyer (Florida): Although he's been in the league for only four years, his record of 44-9 and two national titles make him impossible to ignore. Another title this year (his Gators are the favorite) will undoubtedly move him up the list -- probably to the top.

4. Phillip Fulmer (Tennessee): The bottom falling out of his career at Tennessee is hard to overlook. However, winning the national title, two SEC crowns and appearing in the league title game five times is worthy. Until the Vols began to implode in 2005, Fulmer's winning percentage hovered around .800 and at one time he had Tennessee ranked in the national polls 138 out of 154 weeks. Fulmer's teams ranked in the final top 10 six times in his first 13 seasons. He also ran off a seven-game winning streak against Alabama.

5. Gene Stallings (Alabama): In 1992, Stallings did what many thought was impossible -- win a national title in the post-Bryant era at Alabama. For that, he remains beloved today by Tide fans. It didn't hurt that he won 70 games in seven years and got Alabama to the SEC title game four times. It is often forgotten how good Alabama was under Stallings, winning 28 straight games during one stretch.

6. Pat Dye (Auburn): It is easy to overlook his accomplishments since he's been out of the game for 16 years. However, in 12 years at Auburn, he won four SEC titles, got robbed of a national title in 1983 and completely changed the direction of Auburn football by ending a nine-game losing streak to Alabama. He had a stretch of beating Alabama six of eight (and easily could have won eight straight). His influence remains strong today.

7. Vince Dooley (Georgia): Most of Dooley's career at Georgia overlapped Bryant (he retired in 1988), so there may be some slight weighting here. Still, he won six titles and a national crown in 1980. Perhaps what makes his career so remarkable is that his best years were in Bryant's era. From 1980 to 1982, which were Bryant's last three years at Alabama, Dooley won or tied for the SEC all three years and finished higher than the Tide in the final AP poll as well, at No. 1, No. 6 and No. 4, respectively. Of course, having Herschel Walker didn't hurt (see Urban Meyer/Tim Tebow).

8. John Majors (Tennessee): Some of the glitter of Majors' astral career has been dimmed, in part by his bitterness at Tennessee in the wake of his firing and failed return to Pittsburgh (where he had won the national title in 1976). However, the runner-up in the 1956 Heisman race had a heady run in Knoxville, winning three SEC titles and running off a string of four straight over Alabama.

9. Mark Richt (Georgia): While the debate rages on whether he can ever win a national championship, there is no disputing Richt's success -- two SEC crowns, a .788 winning percentage and five top-10 finishes in eight seasons.

10. (tie) Tommy Tuberville (Ole Miss, Auburn): He resurrected the Ole Miss program to respectability and brought Auburn back from the brink, winning the SEC title in 2004 with a 13-0 record. His mark of beating Alabama six straight times remains a remarkable achievement. He was also 2-0 against Urban Meyer and was 4-3 against Nick Saban.

Houston Nutt (Arkansas, Ole Miss): Perhaps longevity has been Nutt's greatest strength, being in the league continuously since 1998. He has made it to the SEC title game twice and currently has Ole Miss primed for possibly an historic season.

What a fucking joke this guy is...

Oh, NOW we're not ranking on Championships...because then the guy whose opinion I've relentlessly criticized would be correct. And he wouldn't be able to honk Saban's bobo in the process (2 SECCs, 1/2 NC in 5 years, vs. Urban's 2 SECCs 2 NCs in 4). No, no, this list is based on vague intangibles like "importance, impact, and influence". This has nothing to do with Champions, but we'll let Tuberville tie for the last spot on this list with Houston Nutt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 11:35:17 AM »
The only thing Nutt has in common with Bryant is the fact they were both born in Arkansas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 11:37:43 AM »
Not necessarily.  Wasn't Nutt dipin' his wick in folks who weren't his wife?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 11:40:40 AM »
Slimebomb won't drop this issue. Guess he's having writer's block with his pot stirring bullshit du'jour.

http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/08/for_impact_and_accomplishment.html

What a fucking joke this guy is...

Oh, NOW we're not ranking on Championships...because then the guy whose opinion I've relentlessly criticized would be correct. And he wouldn't be able to honk Saban's bobo in the process (2 SECCs, 1/2 NC in 5 years, vs. Urban's 2 SECCs 2 NCs in 4). No, no, this list is based on vague intangibles like "importance, impact, and influence". This has nothing to do with Champions, but we'll let Tuberville tie for the last spot on this list with Houston Nutt.
The whole storyline is stupid, period. Who really gives a fuck? Jesus, I wish people would just let the man die. I wasn't around during his days, but I know he was a pretty damn good coach.....back then. Coaching in the SEC today doesn't have shit to do with coaching in the SEC in the days of The Bear. The landscape of coaching period has changed in nearly every aspect since he roamed the sidelines. Why must everything be compared to him? I've got a crazy idea: lets compare coaches to other coaches who are highly successful IN THEIR OWN DECADE, or a similar timeframe that would actually make it relevant. You cannot compare a coach today with a coach 25 years ago.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 11:47:09 AM »
The whole storyline is stupid, period. Who really gives a fuck? Jesus, I wish people would just let the man die. I wasn't around during his days, but I know he was a pretty damn good coach.....back then. Coaching in the SEC today doesn't have shit to do with coaching in the SEC in the days of The Bear. The landscape of coaching period has changed in nearly every aspect since he roamed the sidelines. Why must everything be compared to him? I've got a crazy idea: lets compare coaches to other coaches who are highly successful IN THEIR OWN DECADE, or a similar timeframe that would actually make it relevant. You cannot compare a coach today with a coach 25 years ago.
This is the most words you have typed in one post that I agree with 100%.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions