Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Another Day, Another Backhanded Complimentary Auburn Article From Slimebomb

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/08/under_sleepinducing_gene_chizi.html

Under sleep-inducing Gene Chizik, momentum is being created on the Plains
Posted by Paul Finebaum, Sports Columnist August 04, 2009 3:44 AM

A year ago, Auburn was ranked No. 10 in the preseason AP poll, the pick to win the SEC West and expectations were sky high. Today, Auburn is gone from the national polls and is the No. 5 pick in the SEC West (out of six), yet fans are cheerful, looking toward the future and getting acclimated to the idea of Gene Chizik as the coach.

What's going on here?

Has Chizik done such a virtuoso job of poor mouthing that Auburn fans view getting to a bowl game as a successful season? Or have fans discovered it's simply no fun to be the hunted, and gleefully accepted a more natural and normal role as the lovable underdog?

For starters, Chizik didn't really need to do very much to impress. After the tempest that followed his hiring, short of walking into his opening press conference with a beer in one hand and a handgun in the other, he was going to beat the expectations.
Columnist Paul Finebaum: Suddenly among recruits, Auburn is cool. Auburn is a fun place to go.

There is nothing dynamic about Chizik. His reviews from the SEC Media Days were lackluster, leading Pat Dooley of the Gainesville Sun to write: "I mean, the guy was putting us to sleep. I'm sure Gene Chizik is different around recruits and his own players and even Auburn fans. But he never answered any questions without someone in the room putting down his or her pen or flipping off the tape recorder. Boorr-inng. OK, it was his first Media Days. But he finished third among the three new coaches."

OK, we get it. He's not ever going to do standup on Letterman. But Tubs was the King of Schmooze and look what happened to him.

However boring, Chizik seems to have a way with recruits. While Nick Saban continues to roll in recruiting, Auburn is at least out of intensive care under Chizik. The Tiger Prowl and the Big Cat weekend received gobs of national attention. And while we're a long way from National Signing Day in February, at least perceptively, Auburn is making strong inroads.

In the most recent issue of The Sporting News, the top 100 high school players are listed. In years past, you would need a magnifying glass to find Auburn's name in the writeup. Not anymore.

The first two players, both running backs, listed Auburn among their favorites. Marcus Lattimore from South Carolina says Auburn is among his top five (and at one time was the leader). The No. 2 player, Lache Seastrunk from Texas, says: "(Auburn) treated me like family, and that is what I am looking for. I love it at Auburn."

That is a powerful statement for Chizik. Suddenly, Auburn looks hot. Other players will read those comments and tweet their friends, saying, "Hey, maybe I'll give Auburn a shot, too."

Auburn is mentioned again by the No. 12-ranked player, running back Michael Dyer of Little Rock, who said, "Auburn is kind of on top now. I just enjoyed the campus and coaches a lot.

Are you beginning to catch the drift? Auburn is cool. Auburn is a fun place to go. Is this because of Chizik or because he hired a top-flight group of assistants or both? It doesn't matter. Positive momentum is being created on the Plains.

And the best news for Chizik is nothing is expected from him this year. If he goes 6-6 (usually, a fireable offense on the Plains), fans will rejoice and clamor for bowl tickets.

If he exceeds .500, Chizik could be the favorite for SEC Coach of the Year.

But what happens if this season is a train wreck?

Well, Saban's first season at Alabama was a bust. However, fans feasted on recruiting as the salvation for the future. And they were right.

My sense is Auburn fans will follow the same blueprint under Gene Chizik.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
My sense is Auburn fans will follow the same blueprint under Gene Chizik.

Kaos, does this make you want to puke?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
No but this does:

yet fans are cheerful, looking toward the future and getting acclimated to the idea of Gene Chizik as the coach
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos, does this make you want to puke?

He might have already whacked himself......  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Actually, a pretty realistic take.  A lot of hat right now and potentially some cattle coming.  Heard a few hoof beats in the distance anyhow. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."