Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Cool Hand Luke is dead

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
Cool Hand Luke is dead
« on: September 27, 2008, 01:31:52 PM »
Paul Newman, actor who personified cool, dies

WESTPORT, Conn.—Paul Newman, the Oscar-winning superstar who personified cool as the anti-hero of such films as "Hud," "Cool Hand Luke" and "The Color of Money"—followed by a second act as an activist, race car driver and popcorn impresario—has died. He was 83.

Newman died Friday at his farmhouse near Westport following a long battle with cancer, publicist Jeff Sanderson said. He was surrounded by his family and close friends.

In May, Newman dropped plans to direct a fall production of "Of Mice and Men" at Connecticut's Westport Country Playhouse, citing unspecified health issues. The following month, a friend disclosed that he was being treated for cancer and Martha Stewart, also a friend, posted photos on her Web site of Newman looking gaunt at a charity luncheon.

But true to his fiercely private nature, Newman remained cagey about his condition, reacting to reports that he had lung cancer with a statement saying only that he was "doing nicely."

As an actor, Newman got his start in theater and on television during the 1950s, and went on to become one of the world's most enduring and popular film stars, a legend held in awe by his peers. He was nominated for Academy Awards 10 times, winning one Oscar and two honorary ones, and had major roles in more than 50 motion pictures, including "Exodus," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "The Verdict," "The Sting" and "Absence of Malice."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

JohnDeere

• Pledge
Re: Cool Hand Luke is dead
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 02:02:28 PM »
He made a hell of a salad dressing.

And no I don't like tossing salads.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

D-Day

• Sergeant-at-Arms
  • All courses... incomplete
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 02:04:02 PM »
Damn, that sucks. Guess he went off and got rabbit in his blood...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 11:43:12 PM »
Well, look at the upside.  That's one less Obama supporter to worry about.   :thumbsup:

Actually, it really is a shame.  I sincerely hope that his final days weren't too uncomfortable.  He was looking rough...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 10:40:02 AM »
Dammit.  Newman was the man.  Great movies and tons of good works through his food products.

Now he's shakin' the tree for the big boss in the sky.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 10:17:31 PM »
I remember that we actually watched "Cool Hand Luke" in 11th grade English class. My teacher almost ruined a good movie, like she did when we watched "The Natural" in class.

One of my favorite Paul Newman movies is "Nobody's Fool". It was just Paul Newman being typical Newman.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 10:19:25 PM by Ranger12 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions