Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Officially Done with Brett Favre

Officially Done with Brett Favre
« on: July 29, 2009, 02:42:32 AM »
There was a time in my life when Brett Favre was the epitome of a sports idol.  I had read his biography three times in middle school.  I bought Green Bay Packers' gear even though I was and am an avid New Orleans Saints fan.  I kept up with his career, and I even gave him the benefit of the doubt when he was discussing retiring with the Pack but always choosing to come back. 

I didn't like the way he handled the Jets' situation.  He officially retired.  He was done with football after a glorious year, but he decided to tug on the coattails of rich GMs until one of them decided to let him play again.  He was still a good quarterback, and I still respected his game.

But now, it's officially reached the boiling point.  The man, once revered, has trampled on every ounce of admiration I had for him. 

After a few weeks of typical Brett Favre drama, he finally decided to say no to the Vikings.  The Vikings gave him deadlines, but he ignored them.  The NFL analysts worried about the fallout if Favre didn't sign because the good QBs would be snatched up by other teams.  There were worries that the Vikings were losing the respect of their lockerroom because the coaches didn't believe in the team unless they had Brett Favre.  Now that he's spurned them, there's very little time to bring together a team that could very well be a Super Bowl contender. 

But it's not the Vikings that I'm worried or upset about.  It's the media attention.  One of the greatest defensive minds in the NFL passed away today.  Jim Johnson (DC for the Eagles) lost his battle with cancer.  He took a leave of absence in May and died just two months later.  He's been described a man with his priorities in order.  He was committed to his family, and players/staff loved working for him.  It's a sad story that will affect not only the lives of the fans in Philadelphia, but also the NFL game itself as the Eagles will have to adjust to a new defensive scheme. 

But what's the front page headline?  Favre.  Favre.  Favre.  What will be talked about for the majority of this week?  Favre.  Favre.  Who will be brought up every time the Vikings play?  Favre. 

It's sad that even in the world of sports entertainment, our priorities are completely out of whack. 

Rant over.  :bar:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Officially Done with Brett Favre
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 06:21:56 AM »
Thank God.  Favre needs to take a break.  He'll be back.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:31:51 AM »
Favre always had my respect until he decided to have a temper tantrum when he tried to come back to Green Bay. Now I can't stand that fucker. Green Bay did the right thing and when Favre retired, started getting the next in line ready. Brett got pissed because they wouldn't promise him immediate starter status, and rightfully so. The other guy put in all the time in the offseason and they had a plan, and they shouldn't be penalized because Favre can't let go. In the end, the Packers were really proven right when Favre again retired after coming back for one season. He needs to focus more on playing golf at Craft Farms in Gulf Shores and less on football now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 11:10:12 AM »
Like many, I always respected Favre.  That is until he played drama queen two seasons in a row with the Packers.  Will I retire or not.  I'll tell you by June 1st.  No, I need some more time to think about it.  Maybe I will and maybe I won't.  Next off-season, same scenario.  Then he plays it a third time...and retires....then comes back..now will he or won't he..I'll let you know...No, I don't think I'll play.

Fuck him.  We just don't care that much and no one is going to beg you to come back.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 11:18:22 AM »
Fuck Brett Far-vra I never thought he was all that great of a QB anyways, lets face it the guy is no Michael Vick, he doesnt even let his dogs bark for pete's sake.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 11:22:59 AM »
Like many, I always respected Favre.  That is until he played drama queen two seasons in a row with the Packers.  Will I retire or not.  I'll tell you by June 1st.  No, I need some more time to think about it.  Maybe I will and maybe I won't.  Next off-season, same scenario.  Then he plays it a third time...and retires....then comes back..now will he or won't he..I'll let you know...No, I don't think I'll play.

Fuck him.  We just don't care that much and no one is going to beg you to come back.

Agree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 04:37:25 PM »
Fuck all of yall.  I was hoping to see what he could do with the Vikings this year.  Sure he's a bit of a drama queen, but the guy can play, and he's fun to watch.  Now the Vikings will be the same as they were last year, great run game for the first few weeks of the season.  Then the other teams in the league will realize that they don't have a passing game, and load the box on em.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 04:48:37 PM »
Fuck all of yall.  I was hoping to see what he could do with the Vikings this year.  Sure he's a bit of a drama queen, but the guy can play, and he's fun to watch.  Now the Vikings will be the same as they were last year, great run game for the first few weeks of the season.  Then the other teams in the league will realize that they don't have a passing game, and load the box on em.
Who gives a shit about the Vikings?   :blink:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 04:51:55 PM »
Who gives a shit about the Vikings?   :blink:

Wasn't meant to be my point.  I'm not a fan of the Vikings, but they do have a lot of talent on the offensive side of the ball.  Except at the qb position.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 04:54:55 PM »
Fuck Favre in da' mouf...Sani style!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 05:20:33 PM »
Who gives a shit about the Vikings?   :blink:

It's more so who gives a shit about seeing a special team live up to its expectations.  All the Vikings need is a QB, and they have the firepower to dominate the NFC.  

Favre, no matter his age, would have been better than either of the guys they have now.  

It'd also be a lot of fun to watch Adrian Peterson get 2000+ yards in a season.  It would happen easily if he had the passing game to help him.  
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 05:21:33 PM by townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 06:03:25 PM »
Favre always had my respect until he decided to have a temper tantrum when he tried to come back to Green Bay. Now I can't stand that fucker. Green Bay did the right thing and when Favre retired, started getting the next in line ready. Brett got pissed because they wouldn't promise him immediate starter status, and rightfully so. The other guy put in all the time in the offseason and they had a plan, and they shouldn't be penalized because Favre can't let go. In the end, the Packers were really proven right when Favre again retired after coming back for one season. He needs to focus more on playing golf at Craft Farms in Gulf Shores and less on football now.
Bingo
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs