funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Dog Killer...play or no play?
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 07:42:49 PM »
If your driving drunk and kill someone you should go to jail.

If I'm driving drunk and someone commits suicide by jumping in front of my car, should I go to jail for 1st degree murder? 

This is what people do in law school.  They come up with countless "what if's" and they decide what the consequences should be.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 10:25:24 PM »
If I'm driving drunk and someone commits suicide by jumping in front of my car, should I go to jail for 1st degree murder? 

This is what people do in law school.  They come up with countless "what if's" and they decide what the consequences should be.
I thought judges decided consequences?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Jumbo

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 10:31:46 PM »
He did go to jail...
Should still be in jail.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 10:45:17 PM »
I thought judges decided consequences?
Judges are the gatekeepers, Juries are the triers of fact.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 10:58:22 PM »
If the sentence was good for the prosecuter, good for the judge, and good for the family...why isn't the sentence good for you jumbo?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 02:01:49 AM »
If the sentence was good for the prosecuter, good for the judge, and good for the family...why isn't the sentence good for you jumbo?
My family has had dealings with Stallworth and I told him to get out of my yard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 02:02:23 AM »
I am the keymaster.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 08:50:36 AM »

Except when the judge is the finder of fact.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:18:05 AM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 08:57:37 AM »

A child's trusting innocence is so refreshing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 12:43:56 PM »
Except when the judge is the finder of fact.
We ain't talking about no bench trial, or family court, or probate court...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 12:48:44 PM »
We ain't talking about no bench trial, or family court, or probate court...

I guess I missed where you excluded those instances in your blanket statement as to the roles of judge and jury.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 05:15:42 PM »
 :box:

LAWYER FIGHT!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 05:21:29 PM »
I guess I missed where you excluded those instances in your blanket statement as to the roles of judge and jury.
It was broad, but not overly broad or vague. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 04:53:09 AM »
The family accepted the judgement(settlement) does that mean there happy uncle Joe walked into the Bentley?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 10:34:47 AM »
The family accepted the judgement(settlement) does that mean there happy uncle Joe walked into the Bentley?

From my understanding, the family spoke on Stallworth's behalf at the trial...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 11:57:28 AM »
From my understanding, the family spoke on Stallworth's behalf at the trial...
For a nominal fee, I'm sure.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »
PLAY!

NEW YORK – Michael Vick was reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday and could play in regular-season games as early as October.

Vick can immediately participate in preseason practices, workouts and meetings and can play in the final two preseason games — if he can find a team that will sign him. A number of teams have already said they would not.

"Needless to say, your margin for error is extremely limited," Goodell said in a letter to Vick. "I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you and to dedicate yourself to rebuilding your life and your career. If you do this, the NFL will support you."

Goodell suspended Vick indefinitely in August 2007 after the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback admitted bankrolling the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation. Goodell said then that Vick must show remorse and signs that he has changed before he would consider reinstating him.

"I accept that you are sincere when you say that you want to, and will, turn your life around, and that you intend to be a positive role model for others," Goodell added. "I am prepared to offer you that opportunity. Whether you succeed is entirely in your hands."

Once the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities except games, and Goodell said he would consider Vick for full reinstatement by Week 6 (Oct. 18-19).

Goodell called a news conference for late Monday afternoon.

"I would like to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to commissioner Goodell for allowing me to be readmitted to the National Football League," Vick said through agent Joel Segal. "I fully understand that playing football in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, and I am truly thankful for the opportunity I have been given.

"As you can imagine, the last two years have given me time to re-evaluate my life, mature as an individual and fully understand the terrible mistakes I have made in the past and what type of life I must lead moving forward.

"Again, I want to thank the commissioner for the chance to return to the game I love and the opportunity to become an example of positive change."

The announcement came after a busy first week of freedom for Vick, who met with union leaders and Goodell on consecutive days last week. His 23-month federal sentence ended when an electronic monitor was removed from his ankle early on July 20 at his home in Hampton, Va.

He met with DeMaurice Smith, executive director of the NFL Players Association, last Tuesday and, on Wednesday, he sat down with Goodell at a security firm in Allendale, N.J.

But his issues are far from over. Already, the owners of the New York Giants and New York Jets said they have no interest in the 29-year-old quarterback, who once was the league's highest-paid player.

Vick needs to find a team so he can get himself out of financial ruin. He filed for bankruptcy protection last July, listing assets of about $16 million and debts of more than $20 million, and has a hearing about his plan to repay his creditors on Friday in Norfolk, Va. That plan is built around his ability to make NFL-type money again.

He's unlikely to command anything close to the 10-year, $130 million contract he once had with the Falcons, or to get endorsement deals after the grisly details of his involvement in the dogfighting ring.

Vick finally pleaded guilty after his three co-defendants had already done so. They told of how Vick participated in the killing of dogs that didn't perform well in test fights by shooting, hanging, drowning or slamming them to the ground.

Vick's appearances at federal court in Richmond, Va., all came with large groups of protestors outside. Many were with PETA and held signs depicting photographs of Pit Bulls ravaged in dogfights and decrying the brutality in the gruesome details that emerged in the case.

A smaller group came to show support for Vick wearing jerseys with his No. 7.

Vick has already taken some steps to begin rebuilding his image and showing remorse.

He met with the president of the Humane Society of the United States while serving the first 18 months of his federal sentence in the prison at Leavenworth, Kan. He plans to work with HSUS in a program designed to steer inner city youth away from dogfighting. He was not permitted to work with the program while in custody.

"It's been a long process," Segal said. "He's thrilled for the opportunity to resume his playing career. He understands he has a lot to prove."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090727/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_vick_reinstated

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 04:15:11 PM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »
Good decision.  It's up to him if he can make it back or not.  If the Commish reinstated him that quickly, someone will be willing to pick him up and give him a try. 

Also, don't think for a second that the buzz generated by his return and the attention (Good or bad) given to the league wasn't taken into account.  If he makes a team and plays, even preseason games will be hard sell outs just so fans can show up to boo him or just take in the specatcle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 10:47:12 PM »
Good decision.  It's up to him if he can make it back or not.  If the Commish reinstated him that quickly, someone will be willing to pick him up and give him a try. 

Also, don't think for a second that the buzz generated by his return and the attention (Good or bad) given to the league wasn't taken into account.  If he makes a team and plays, even preseason games will be hard sell outs just so fans can show up to boo him or just take in the specatcle.

At least the PETA hippies can't afford football tickets, so their domestic terrorist selves will have to stay outside.  I hope MV goes to Minnesota or Green Bay so they will freeze their asses off protesting in their non-fur coats.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions