Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Look out Atlanta...here we come bitches!!!

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Look out Atlanta...here we come bitches!!!
« on: July 15, 2009, 11:47:24 AM »
Birmingham City Council commits $8 million a year to dome stadium

After more than a decade of civic debate, the Birmingham City Council on Tuesday made the first monetary commitment to a $630 million domed stadium in downtown Birmingham.

At the urging of Mayor Larry Langford, the council authorized giving $8 million a year to the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex's governing authority to begin the design and construction of a stadium and convention center that can seat at least 57,500 people and could be expanded to seat 70,000, according to Langford.

"Let's build a dome," a relieved Mayor Larry Langford said after about two hours of council debate. "The project is real. Let's get started."

Langford scored another success later in the day when the council authorized him to contract with firms that will handle the renovation of historic Rickwood Field and build a new museum there dedicated to the histories of Negro League and Southern League baseball.

"I'm as happy as a kid in the candy store," Langford said. The mayor said he planned to hold a ceremonial groundbreaking next Tuesday at 5 p.m. on the site of the planned dome. Backers hope to have the stadium completed in five years.

The dome project is being paid for with $19 million generated annually from increased business licenses fees. For the next 2½ years, the city will contribute about $666,000 a month to the BJCC to pay for architectural designs and other aspects of the projects, and will use the remaining $11 million to pay for other city projects such as street paving. When the BJCC issues bonds in 2011 to pay for the dome, it will include $22 million that it will pay to Birmingham for additional paving projects.

Logistical questions
Passage of dome funding was anything but certain Tuesday with council members questioning the agreement with the BJCC from several angles. Councilmen Steven Hoyt and Roderick Royal asked repeatedly about how the city was going to ensure participation in the project by businesses owned by women and minorities.

Langford said an oversight committee composed of Birmingham Council members, a representative of the mayor's office and the members of the business community will ensure that involvement. A compromise stipulating that the council approve each month's distribution won over their votes.

Council President Carole Smitherman and Councilwoman Valerie Abbott both expressed concern that they hadn't seen a plan to pay for the building's operations once it is built.

Abbott said she was wasn't convinced that conventions will be attracted and sport tenants will take up residence in the facility.

"'Build it and they will come' only works in the movies," Abbott said.

"Don't build it and nothing happens," Langford retorted. "That's reality."

Ultimately, Abbott cast the sole vote against the dome agreement. Councilman Joel Montgomery abstained.

Later in the day, the council authorized Langford to execute a $175,000 contract with Davis Architects for the restoration of Rickwood Field; a $310,000 contract with Exford Architects for design of the new museum; and a $750,000 contract with Woods Contracting Services for construction management on the project.

The City Council in May approved spending a total of $7.5 million to restore the century-old ballpark and build a museum dedicated to the city's baseball heritage.

Langford said he has almost completed his slate of campaign promises after just two years on the job. The lingering issue that needs attention, mass transit, will now be the focus of his administrative staff, he said.

http://blog.al.com/birmingham-news-stories/2009/07/birmingham_city_council_commit.html

Let's see...$630,000,000 / 5 = $126,000,000 per year
Birmingham committed $8,000,000 per year

Maybe the Beluga whales will bring in the other $118M a year...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Re: Look out Atlanta...here we come bitches!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 12:17:54 PM »
I can't believe I'm buying a house anywhere near this city. 

Prediction - Birmingham will be the next city in Kurt Russell's "Escape from..." series.  Only this time it's nonfiction. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 12:32:46 PM »
I can't believe I'm buying a house anywhere near this city. 

Prediction - Birmingham will be the next city in Kurt Russell's "Escape from..." series.  Only this time it's nonfiction. 

If it's in Jefferson County, you should seriously rethink buying it if you still have the chance.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 12:41:38 PM »
http://blog.al.com/birmingham-news-stories/2009/07/birmingham_city_council_commit.html

Let's see...$630,000,000 / 5 = $126,000,000 per year
Birmingham committed $8,000,000 per year

Maybe the Beluga whales will bring in the other $118M a year...

I noticed that when reading the article. What are the plans to get the rest of the money? Seriously? This shit is a pipe dream. To invest in $700,000,000 for a game or two here and there at best is crazy...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 01:13:53 PM »
If it's in Jefferson County, you should seriously rethink buying it if you still have the chance.

It's Shelby...Alabaster area.  We're far away, but I don't want any of those cockroaches sneaking into my neck of the woods.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 01:21:16 PM »
It's Shelby...Alabaster area.  We're far away, but I don't want any of those cockroaches sneaking into my neck of the woods.

I don't think they will be in the position to try and expand for many, many years to come.  I thank the Good Lord every day that we were able to move to St. Clair more than 10 years ago.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 01:23:12 PM »
Lets lay off police officers and build a dome, that the city will run into the ground! great job Larry!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 01:54:08 PM »
Lets lay off police officers and build a dome, that the city will run into the ground! great job Larry!

It's the County laying off almost 100 197 a little more than 100 over 300 deputies, not the City.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 04:02:28 PM »
AWK is glad he is leaving Jefferson County.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Jumbo

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 05:33:22 PM »
It's the County laying off almost 100 197 a little more than 100 over 300 deputies, not the City.
I feel so much better! At least we can stay #1 in violent crimes!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 09:11:43 PM »
Meanwhile, Bettye Fine Collins asks Governor Riley to declare a state of emergency because Jefferson county will not have the money to cover the payroll after July 21st.

Goddamn, this shit is hilarious! Viva la suburbs!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Jumbo

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 09:39:23 PM »
Meanwhile, Bettye Fine Collins asks Governor Riley to declare a state of emergency because Jefferson county will not have the money to cover the payroll after July 21st.

Goddamn, this shit is hilarious! Viva la suburbs!
I hope they all go to jail.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 07:35:25 AM »
I hope they all go to jail.

I hope that shit is in utter disarray when we are there for golf.  Less chance of being arrested.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."