Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

New Auburn basketball arena will have 'wow' factor

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« on: July 10, 2009, 10:26:53 AM »
http://auburnundercover.com/news/articles/2009/7/10/new-auburn-basketball-arena-will-have-wow-factor

By Phillip Marshall, Senior Writer
Posted Jul 10, 2009
Copyright © 2009 AuburnUndercover.com

Randy Byars oversees arena construction project/Phillip Marshall

AUBURN – The most expensive single athletic facility project ever undertaken in the state of Alabama is starting to look more like a basketball arena and not just a construction site.

Thursday, Randy Byars, director of athletic facility planning, gave reporters a tour of the arena that is scheduled to be ready for use in July 2010.

The arena will seat some 9,600 fans, all close to the court. There will be a state-of-the-art scoreboard hanging at midcourt. The graphics, the design and amenities, Byars said, will set the as-yet unnamed arena apart.

“You will walk in and go ‘Wow!’ “ Byars said. “You walk into some facilities in the SEC and you might go ‘Wow’ because they are huge. They are just big arenas. This one will be ‘wow’ because of what we’ve done to make it unique.”

The original budget for the arena was $92 million. It will come in substantially under budget, Byars said, at almost $86 million. The savings allowed some things to be added that would otherwise have been put off until later.

Construction has begun on practice facilities that are part of the project.

Seats are scheduled to be installed in November and the playing court in December. Students will occupy 1,500 seats at courtside on three sides of the arena. Non-student seats will be cushioned with chair backs. They’ll be blue on the lower level, orange on the middle level and blue on the upper level.

Men’s and women’s rooms and coaches offices will be state-of-the art with amenities, Byars said, that are found few other places.

Byars said $450,000 was set aside for graphics. There will be large graphics depicting the histories of Alumni Gym, The Sports Arena and Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum, the three venues in which Auburn basketball has competed.

On the outside west wall, the Auburn Creed is inscribed.

The Lovelace Museum and Hall of Honor, formerly at the football complex, will be reborn at the new arena.

“It’ll be open,” Byars said. “You’ll be able to get into it from different areas. You can go from out of your seat, from the general public entrance. When you come in the main entrance, you’ll see it right there.”

The arena sits next to the University Village complex, which is scheduled to open this fall. Holders of the 12 luxury suites will have a view of Jordan-Hare Stadium and Plainsman Park and will be able to use those suites for football games.

The scheduled completion date is July 14, 2010. Byars said he expects it to be finished earlier. The Auburn men’s and women’s basketball teams will vacate Beard-Eaves after the coming season is over.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: New Auburn basketball arena will have 'wow' factor
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 11:19:03 AM »
I was up at War Eagle Days 3 weeks ago and it is really taking shape.  I keep saying that if and when they ever complete all the construction that's literally been going on for 15-20 years, an already beautiful campus is going to be incredible. I went up on top of Haley Center for the first time since I was in school. (Didn't see any Mastadons roaming the Plains) The view was ausome.  That place has changed so much it just blows my mind.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 05:38:42 PM »
For as much as they are spending, they damn well better get some "wow factor"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 11:49:43 AM »
Can this be accurate?

The most expensive single athletic facility project ever undertaken in the state of Alabama
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 07:11:37 PM »
Can this be accurate?

Yes - for comparison, each of the endzone upper deck expansions over in turdtown were in the $50M range, and the concourse renovation / east upper deck extension at Jordan-Hare a few years ago was around the mid $20s.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 10:16:55 AM »
At least we will look good whilst sucking!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 11:57:48 AM »
You know what would make me go "wow"? 

A good basketball team.  One that didn't take five years to scrape up an NIT invite.  That would do it. 

Fuck a scoreboard. Fuck dry ice smoke. Fuck electronic wizardry.  How about a cohesive offensive strategy and some fundamental defense?  That would impress me a hell of a lot more than a laser that draws tiger eyes at center court during the introductions. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 12:21:19 PM »

A good basketball team.  One that didn't take five years to scrape up an NIT invite.  That would do it. 

Fuck a scoreboard. Fuck dry ice smoke. Fuck electronic wizardry.  How about a cohesive offensive strategy and some fundamental defense?  That would impress me a hell of a lot more than a laser that draws tiger eyes at center court during the introductions. 
HEY...get your own material!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:04:04 PM »

I agree, to a point.  Do you, though, deny that the abysmal facilities at Auburn have, in the past decade or more, hindered the recruiting efforts of all the men who have called the HC job their own?

And would you, then, further deny that recruiting (especially in a numbers-driven sport like Bball) has a direct impact on the next year's team?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 07:18:46 AM »
I agree, to a point.  Do you, though, deny that the abysmal facilities at Auburn have, in the past decade or more, hindered the recruiting efforts of all the men who have called the HC job their own?

And would you, then, further deny that recruiting (especially in a numbers-driven sport like Bball) has a direct impact on the next year's team?

I do deny it, yes.  Coaches have gone into far worse shitholes and produced winners. 

I do not deny that recruiting helps, but you know what will draw recruits more than brick and mortar?  A team that does not shoot bricks or drop mortar rounds on its own head. 

Win and you will get recruits.  When you win, your players get looks in the NBA.  What's the sole goal for 90% of the kids playing college basketball?  Make it to the NBA.

I like Lebo.  But we've been through this.  He's not the guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 11:48:09 PM »
I agree with Kaos here, if you win kids will come no matter the facilities.  I have been to the O'Connell Center, it is not a Taj Mahal when compared to Beard Eaves.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 03:05:11 PM »
Chicken or egg. It doesn't help to push the cycle into motion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 05:45:49 PM »
I agree with Kaos here, if you win kids will come no matter the facilities.  I have been to the O'Connell Center, it is not a Taj Mahal when compared to Beard Eaves.
Brand new is a great cover up for not winning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 07:41:32 AM »
Brand new is a great cover up for not winning.

Kaos will be marking this one down for after the football season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 05:49:39 AM »
Kaos will be marking this one down for after the football season.
I'm sure we'll hear about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.