Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Good Analysis of Malzahn's Offense

JR4AU

Re: Good Analysis of Malzahn's Offense
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 11:41:04 AM »
     Well I am sorry I disappointed you.  I work hard to live up to your expectations, and it hurts me when I don't get your approval.  BTW, I don't think I know more than the coach, I just don't happen to believe in his philosophy.  So far, he's only won in HS.  If he wins big in the SEC, perhaps he will convert me.  I am sure Mike Leach and June Jones know much more about football than I do as well, yet they continue (Leach continues, anyway) to rack up huge offensive numbers without winning big games or championships.  Please don't lecture me on the differences between the two offenses. I realize they are different, but I don't believe either one will lead to the top of the college football heap.

I don't understand why you posted this, you make my point for me.  All these guys are small, except the one tackle.  I don't know for sure, but I bet he didn't go the whole game.   Big offensive linemen are 330-350 lb. or more these days. 
     The problem with the no huddle and offensive linemen is not only do you have to block during the play, which is exhausting, but then you have to run to the ball, get set, and go again without the 40 or so seconds to catch your breath you normally get in the huddle.  And yes, the defense has to run more chasing the ball, but in my limited experience playing on the offensive line was much more exhausting than playing on the defensive line.
     Again, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.  We'll see when they take the field next year.

No disappointment...you're a typical ignorant football fan.  You probably say things like "the coach didn't make adjustments at halftime" without knowing what they were doing in the first place, or realizing that sometimes adjusments are anticipated...or "the QB stares down his receivers" without realizing that he has to look at them to throw to them, and without realizing that his reads or progressions dictate where he looks.  Completely expected "fan boy" talk. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 12:05:29 PM »
I stared down this girl by the pool the other day and made adjustments to my drawers.

Despite what she said, I don't think I'm a dirty old bastard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 12:08:15 PM »
I stared down this girl by the pool the other day and made adjustments to my drawers.

Despite what she said, I don't think I'm a dirty old bastard.

Ah, it's ok to be a dirty old bastard.  She was probably a lesbian!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 01:09:52 PM »
No disappointment...you're a typical ignorant football fan.  You probably say things like "the coach didn't make adjustments at halftime" without knowing what they were doing in the first place, or realizing that sometimes adjusments are anticipated...or "the QB stares down his receivers" without realizing that he has to look at them to throw to them, and without realizing that his reads or progressions dictate where he looks.  Completely expected "fan boy" talk. 

Wally,  it's drunk helicopter time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 03:50:18 PM »
No disappointment...you're a typical ignorant football fan.  You probably say things like "the coach didn't make adjustments at halftime" without knowing what they were doing in the first place, or realizing that sometimes adjusments are anticipated...or "the QB stares down his receivers" without realizing that he has to look at them to throw to them, and without realizing that his reads or progressions dictate where he looks.  Completely expected "fan boy" talk.  

That's me, typical and ignorant.  That's why I come to this site, to learn from you experts.  Thank you also for letting everyone know what I probably say, even though you've never heard me say any of those things.  

BTW, is it possible to change my name from Hogwally to "fanboy"?

Come again?

He was 8-0 at Arky prior to Nutty yanking the reins away from him.

At Tulsa, his side of the ball more than held their own (#2 and #1 offenses, respectively, under his guidance).

You're just fucking wrong about this.

Ah, another expert, who points out that my Hogs were 8-0 with Malzahn at coordinator before HDN "yanked the reins away from him".  Thank you for reminding me, as ignorant as I am, I have a hard time remembering how my team did in the past.
   Unfortunately, this post was about the HUNH, Which Arkansas didn't run.  So while yes, we were 8-0. the No Huddle part of Malzahn's philosophy had nothing to do with it. (and I am the one who gets called ignorant).  I won't even argue about the whole yanking the reins thing away, I've read too much of that on Arkansas boards.
     As for the second part, yes they put up huge numbers at Tulsa.  But again, if you had read my post I said if the do it in the SEC I will become a believer.  Against Arkansas, a bottom half SEC team last year, they managed 344 yards and 23 points.  Not exactly world beaters.

Look, I didn't realize this was such a sore subject for you guys.  I mean, if your going to get all upset and go to name calling, I'll keep my opinions to myself.  I'll just read along, collecting pearls of wisdom from you learned scholars.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:55:39 PM by Hogwally »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 04:14:16 PM »
    That's me, typical and ignorant.  That's why I come to this site, to learn from you experts.  Thank you also for letting everyone know what I probably say, even though you've never heard me say any of those things.  

BTW, is it possible to change my name from Hogwally to "fanboy"?

Ah, another expert, who points out that my Hogs were 8-0 with Malzahn at coordinator before HDN "yanked the reins away from him".  Thank you for reminding me, as ignorant as I am, I have a hard time remembering how my team did in the past.
   Unfortunately, this post was about the HUNH, Which Arkansas didn't run.  So while yes, we were 8-0. the No Huddle part of Malzahn's philosophy had nothing to do with it. (and I am the one who gets called ignorant).  I won't even argue about the whole yanking the reins thing away, I've read too much of that on Arkansas boards.
     As for the second part, yes they put up huge numbers at Tulsa.  But again, if you had read my post I said if the do it in the SEC I will become a believer.  Against Arkansas, a bottom half SEC team last year, they managed 344 yards and 23 points.  Not exactly world beaters.

Look, I didn't realize this was such a sore subject for you guys.  I mean, if your going to get all upset and go to name calling, I'll keep my opinions to myself.  I'll just read along, collecting pearls of wisdom from you learned scholars.

You used "Your" improperly, Fanboy.  Sheesh!!!

The point you made about the 8-0 run and the style of offense actually run is why I'm nothing more than cautiously optimistic about what we'll see and how successful Malzahn's offense will ultimately be.  I didn't pay attention to the other 7 wins but was at the win at Auburn with Mitchell Mudstain at the helm.  Definitely nothing wide open about that game plan and in fact, I don't think MM threw the ball 10 times. 

I'd like to think that was by Malzahn's design and he did what he needed to do to beat Auburn that day.  I did like what I saw in the spring game; however, I'm fully aware that doesn't translate to SEC W's.  I'm just happy to have everyone moving in the same direction for the first time in about 3-4 years. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 04:32:12 PM »
I'll do it this way...

Decent article, doesn't really change my opinion of Malzahn or his offense.  I still think the HUNH has two basic problems:
     1.  Puts too much pressure on your defense.  They end up on the field all day, and every game ends up being a shoot-out because the defense is worn out.

Any offense that moves the ball, and scores points helps the defense, and any offense that goes three and out hurts the defense.  The extra few seconds of breather is hardely criticle in the end if you don't score points.

2.  It limits the size of your offensive linemen.  The really massive run blocking linemen can not play at this speed.  When the time comes that you really have to grind out some yards, you don't have the linemen to do it.  IMO, this is the reason HDN never let Malzahn run the no huddle at Arkansas, he didn't want to give up the big boys blocking for Jones and McFadden.

I guess that's why they're asking our current OL to beef up, recruited 2 325 plus in the 2009 class, and are looking at huge linemen for the 2010 class.  Sorry, you don't seem to understand OL play.  There's a reason that the starting five play all the meaningful snaps, and don't get spelled like DL.  Remeber, the DL has to play at that pace too...and part of the theory is that they don't have time to sub as often.  And in long games, OT games...who is pushing who around...the OL is pushing around a tired DL.  Sorry your issuing pure baseless speculation. 

IMO, Auburn's offense will be fun to watch.  I think Auburn blows out the cupcakes, has shoot-outs with the rest of the schedule. Probably between 6 and 8 wins and a bowl game, depending on the quarterback.

Tell you what.  Our defense is thin this year, and if we're in shootouts it will be because of that, not because of the offense.   Lots of coaches I talk to say Malzahn is very good.  Not a one of them says it's a problem for Offensive linemen.  2 pieces written by the guy about Malzahn, one particularly focussed on the pace, and it didn't mention a word about not being able to have run blocking linemen. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions