Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Growth of the World and Its Technology

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
The Growth of the World and Its Technology
« on: June 11, 2009, 03:12:41 PM »
Some food for thought, and quite interesting...makes me want to drink copius amounts of bourbon.  What's it gonna be like 50 years from now?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: The Growth of the World and Its Technology
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 03:24:39 PM »
That is some wild shipth.  It kind of validates some of the things I've been thinking about the advances in technology over the past few years.  Amazing how far we've come.  Too fast???
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Thrilla

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 03:53:53 PM »
That is some wild shipth.  It kind of validates some of the things I've been thinking about the advances in technology over the past few years.  Amazing how far we've come.  Too fast???

When the world implodes upon itself...that's when it's become too fast.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 04:10:23 PM »
I was going to make a comment about drinking copious amounts of bourbon, but I can see why that makes you want to.  To me it was amazing to see, but also kinda of freaky and scary all at the same time.  I was one of the two that has been with my employer for 5 years. 

side note:  We(the company I work for, a team of 10 sys admins) built a SuperComputer/Cluster in 04, when we got our numbers in we would have been the 3rd fastest one in the world at 17 teraflops.  We didn't release for reasons I can't go into until the following year and it placed us at 15th. 5 years later and I don't even know if we are even at 250 anymore.  Our system does 17 trillion fucking calculations a second (floating point operations) and we are considered slow but the HPC community.  Shit does basically double every 2 or 3 years.   There is now a system at Los Almos that does 1. something petaflops or one quadrillion floating point operations per second. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Thrilla

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 04:14:47 PM »
side note:  We(the company I work for, a team of 10 sys admins) built a SuperComputer/Cluster in 04, when we got our numbers in we would have been the 3rd fastest one in the world at 17 teraflops.  We didn't release for reasons I can't go into until the following year and it placed us at 15th. 5 years later and I don't even know if we are even at 250 anymore.  Our system does 17 trillion fucking calculations a second (floating point operations) and we are considered slow but the HPC community.  Shit does basically double every 2 or 3 years.   There is now a system at Los Almos that does 1. something petaflops or one quadrillion floating point operations per second. 

Did you just go into Geek Speak, or am I that out of it?  What the fuck is a floating point operation?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 04:40:25 PM »
Did you just go into Geek Speak, or am I that out of it?  What the fuck is a floating point operation?

He had me at teraflop
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 04:41:26 PM »

Sorry, yeah that was geek speek. 

Think of it like this.  The number 2.0 is a floating-point number because it has a decimal in it. The number 2 (without a decimal point) is a binary integer.  A floating point operation is a computation involving fractional numbers, which takes longer to process than the one involving only whole numbers (integers).  Kinda like computer shorthand for scientific notation.

or better yet, it's any operation that involve fractional numbers where the decimal point floats (there is no fixed number of digits before and after the decimal point) and they take longer to compute than operations that involve whole numbers (integers, which most non-scientific apps use).

Make better sense now?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Thrilla

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 04:51:19 PM »
Sorry, yeah that was geek speek. 

Think of it like this.  The number 2.0 is a floating-point number because it has a decimal in it. The number 2 (without a decimal point) is a binary integer.  A floating point operation is a computation involving fractional numbers, which takes longer to process than the one involving only whole numbers (integers).  Kinda like computer shorthand for scientific notation.

or better yet, it's any operation that involve fractional numbers where the decimal point floats (there is no fixed number of digits before and after the decimal point) and they take longer to compute than operations that involve whole numbers (integers, which most non-scientific apps use).

Make better sense now?

Yes, I understand the term better now.

Not sure how it applies to what computers do nowadays.  I do know that computers process information, and I'm assuming all the information comes in the form of either fractional or whole numbers.  It will be beyond my abilities to translate how that information shows me what I see on a computer screen, or how that makes the internet or any other application work. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 05:15:18 PM »
Yes, I understand the term better now.

Not sure how it applies to what computers do nowadays.  I do know that computers process information, and I'm assuming all the information comes in the form of either fractional or whole numbers.  It will be beyond my abilities to translate how that information shows me what I see on a computer screen, or how that makes the internet or any other application work. 

Glad that helped....I guess the point of that rant was the fact that 5 years ago our system could do 17 trillion calculations in one second and now we aren't shit b/c there are machines that can do 1 quadrillion calculations a  second and that technology grows exponentially every couple of years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 05:24:19 PM »
Glad that helped....I guess the point of that rant was the fact that 5 years ago our system could do 17 trillion calculations in one second and now we aren't shit b/c there are machines that can do 1 quadrillion calculations a  second and that technology grows exponentially every couple of years.
I was promised flying cars circa back to the future 2.  That has yet to come to fruition...Fuck you Doc Brown, what a total let down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Thrilla

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 05:28:32 PM »
I was promised flying cars circa back to the future 2.  That has yet to come to fruition...Fuck you Doc Brown, what a total let down.

You need to just make like a tree....and get outta here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 10:17:50 PM »
You need to just make like a tree....and get outta here.

Two coats, Biff?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

boartitz

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 08:25:29 AM »
My grandfather's lifespan went from before the automobile to the moon landing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 09:58:19 AM »
Another thought about technology moving too fast, this morning as I pulled into the service station, I got gas, a biscuit and cup of coffee for the ride in.  I get to the counter to pay it wouldn't accept my debit.  I had to use my credit card, which I detest, but it's for situations like that.  I remembered that my debit card is about to expire and that I got a new one, so I call the bank to ask them why they shut my card down before expiration date and they explain that the new card is b/c the account may have been compromised.  I head home get the new one and activate it.

Now this makes 3 times in 2 years that I have received new cards, 2 from the bank and 1 from my credit card company......I never even thought about accounts being compromised or identity thief until about 2 or 3 years ago.  I have asked my parents before and they said they used to never worry about anything like that until recently.  Just a thought.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions