Bear Country

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Bear Country
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:37:59 AM »
http://www.trackemtigers.com/2009/6/8/903264/alabama-crimson-tide-shakespeare

Alabama Crimson Tide Shakespeare Festival Now Playing

The Alabama Shakespeare Festival's play, Bear Country, about the life of legendary Alabama coach Paul Bryant and the last days leading up to his retirement, is coming to Birmingham later this summer after a successful run in Montgomery earlier this year. The play has been a rare hit for the ASF, which has suffered along with other businesses in these lean economic times. Previously, they had to cancel Les Miserables due to poor ticket sales. But for Bear Country, tailgaters have even shown up before events. No mention yet if Nick Saban will perform a stint as guest director. Seems he's too busy trying to write his own comedy/tragedy in Tuscaloosa.

So considering the success that the performing arts have received from the infusion of Crimson Tide lore, I think the Shakespeare festival can only benefit if we succinctly write the Capstone into your normal Shakespearean fare. Bama fans, not normally known for their love of the classics, can't be spoon-fed this culture knowingly . We have to give it to them subliminally, by slightly altering the Bard's dialogue to include the Alabama football references.

So what we do is to take some of the more common Shakepeare quotes from all his great works and give them the delicate re-write that will make them fan favorites from Legion Field to Bryant Denny. We're writing baby, we're writing!

JULIO CAESAR:

"Friends, Bammers, countrymen, lend me your ears: I come to bury Tuberville, not to become finger number six!"

"Beware the national signing days that occur in March!"

"Et tu, James Willis?

"Cowards die many times before their deaths, but we lost to Louisiana-Monroe only once."

"Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war, and the recruiting limo stunt from your fingers..."

AS YOU LIKE IT:

"All the world's a stage, but none smell like the urine and bourbon of Bryant-Denny!"

HAMLET:

"To be or not to be, under NCAA investigation. THAT is the question..."

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be, especially as applies to player-provided textbooks."

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks. But can someone please give Collette Connell a ride home?"

"Give every man thy ear, and few thy voice, and you still won't be half the ear that Tuberville is."

TEMPEST:

"He that dies pays all debts, but still keeps his season tickets..."

KING RICHARD III:

"Now is the winter of our discontent, but we can start text messaging recruits after Christmas."

"A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse! But only a buck twenty for Albert Means?

ROMEO AND JULIO:

"What's in a name? That which we call recruiting, at any other school, by any other name, would not pass the smell test."

"O Julio, O Julio! Wherefore art thou for thy sophomore year, Julio?"

"Parting is such sweet sorrow. We hardly knew thee, Tubs!"

KING HENRY IV:

"The better part of valor is discretion, of which Mike Price's strippers had none."

MEASURE FOR MEASURE:

"What's mine is yours, and what is yours is mine, but neither of us will get our $4 million worth."

MACBETH:

"Something wicked this way comes. NCAA probation..."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

Re: Bear Country
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 01:37:36 PM »
No mention yet if Nick Saban will perform a stint as guest director. Seems he's too busy trying to write his own comedy/tragedy in Tuscaloosa.

Yeah, an undefeated season in his 2nd year with back to back top recruiting classes is both comedic and tragic.  The guy had a good piece on it's own, there's no need to devalue it with a senseless comment like this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:43:55 PM »
Yeah, an undefeated season in his 2nd year with back to back top recruiting classes is both comedic and tragic.  The guy had a good piece on it's own, there's no need to devalue it with a senseless comment like this.
undefeated...are you drinking this early? I seem to recall 2 losses..one of those being to MAC team no less. :poke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 01:46:25 PM »

Yeah I'm gonna have to disagree there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 02:14:37 PM »

You really need to go back and read that party line again...you forgot a word.  Didn't you get the memo about the TPS cover sheets?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 02:49:48 PM »

as my aunt would say "UNDEFEATED'S ASS!" you "people" laugh at us for claiming ANYTHING from 2004 and now you are calling last year an undefeated season, there's less horse shit in my pasture
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Peace, Love and God Bless Auburn!

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 02:51:28 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 03:01:06 PM »
undefeated...are you drinking this early? I seem to recall 2 losses..one of those being to MAC team no less. :poke:
An undefeated MWC (not MAC) team, in the Sugar Bowl. They are 22-4 over the past two seasons, so its not like they are teh suck or something. But hey, if you want to cast stones, I wouldn't ask your corch about his record against the MAC......or the Missouri Valley Conference either. Ouch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

RWS

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 03:02:02 PM »

as my aunt would say "UNDEFEATED'S ASS!" you "people" laugh at us for claiming ANYTHING from 2004 and now you are calling last year an undefeated season, there's less horse shit in my pasture
Well, it was an undefeated REGULAR season, but its a moot point since we lost the last two post-season games.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 03:05:07 PM »
Well, it was an undefeated REGULAR season, but its a moot point since we lost the last two post-season games.

Yeah and winning the SEC western division really means something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 03:06:58 PM »
An undefeated MWC (not MAC) team, in the Sugar Bowl. They are 22-4 over the past two seasons, so its not like they are teh suck or something. But hey, if you want to cast stones, I wouldn't ask your corch about his record against the MAC......or the Missouri Valley Conference either. Ouch.
Well shit you guys should claim #13 :poke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Birmingham

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 03:49:22 PM »
Yeah and winning the SEC western division really means something.

If winning the West means nothing, what does it mean to not win the west?  Oh yeah, I forgot.  Down year, coaching friction yada yada yada. 

I was referring (obviously, as if it needed explaining) to the regular season, not the post season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 03:56:56 PM »
If winning the West means nothing, what does it mean to not win the west?  Oh yeah, I forgot.  Down year, coaching friction yada yada yada. 

I was referring (obviously, as if it needed explaining) to the regular season, not the post season.

Well, if we can play the ignore game...Auburn had an undefeated season as well.

The Home, non-conference part of the season anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Birmingham

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 04:03:12 PM »
Well, if we can play the ignore game...Auburn had an undefeated season as well.

The Home, non-conference part of the season anyway.

I know you were attempting to be a smartass instead of making a joke but I laughed my ass off that you had to go as far as non-conference games that happened to also be played at Auburn in order to be undefeated.  lmao!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 04:04:31 PM »

I could really give a fuck about winning the western division, after the turd you guys have laid for the past 7 years I don't blame the excitement, but winning the west gets you what.  A ticket to the Capital One Bowl and a bag of chips.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

RWS

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 04:07:20 PM »
Well shit you guys should claim #13 :poke:
I KNOW!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 04:57:59 PM »
but winning the west gets you what.

A trip to Atlanta.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

JR4AU

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 05:33:44 PM »
Yeah, an undefeated season in his 2nd year with back to back top recruiting classes is both comedic and tragic. 

To a man, every bammer talks about "the undefeated season" or "12-0", and never 12-2, or 12 wins and nothing to show for it.  You know, those losses count whether they come in games 1 thru 12, or game 13 and 14.    :poke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 07:08:22 PM »
those losses count whether they come in games 1 thru 12, or game 13 and 14.

You know what I think counts, JR4AU, not having the opportunity to play 13 and 14.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 07:24:58 PM »
If winning the West means nothing, what does it mean to not win the west?  Oh yeah, I forgot.  Down year, coaching friction yada yada yada.  

Well then, we were undefeated in the games we won. UNDEFEATED BABY!!

:stewie:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:26:02 PM by stewiegriffin »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Peace, Love and God Bless Auburn!