Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

A Pretty good article-Ben Stein

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
A Pretty good article-Ben Stein
« on: May 28, 2009, 09:24:02 AM »
For  many years Ben Stein has written a biweekly column called 'Monday Night  At Morton's.' (Morton's is a famous chain of Steakhouses known to be  frequented by movie stars and famous people from around the globe.) Now,  Ben is terminating the column to move on to other things in his life.  Reading his final column is worth a few minutes of your time.

Ben Stein's Last  Column...   

How  Can Someone Who Lives in Insane Luxury Be a Star in Today's  World?

As I begin to write this, I 'slug' it, as we writers say,  which means I put a heading on top of the document to identify it.   This heading is 'eonline FINAL,' and it gives me a shiver to write  it.  I have been doing this column for so long that I cannot even  recall when I started. I loved writing this column so much for so long I  came to believe it would never end.

It worked well for a  long time, but gradually, my changing as a person and the world's change  have overtaken it On a small scale, Morton's, while better than ever, no  longer attracts as many stars as it used to. It still brings in the rich  people in droves and definitely some stars.  I saw Samuel L.  Jackson there a few days ago, and we had a nice visit, and right before  that, I saw and had a splendid talk with Warren Beatty in an elevator,  in which we agreed that Splendor in the Grass was a super movie.   But Morton's is not the star galaxy it once was, though it  probably will be again.

Beyond that, a bigger  change has happened..?  I no longer think Hollywood stars are  terribly important.  They are uniformly pleasant, friendly people,  and they treat me better than I deserve to be treated.  But a man  or woman who makes a huge wage for memorizing lines and reciting them in  front of a camera is no longer my idea of a shining star we should all  look up to.

How  can a man or woman who makes an eight-figure wage and lives in insane  luxury really be a star in today's world, if by a 'star' we mean someone  bright and powerful and attractive as a role model?  Real stars are  not riding around in the backs of limousines or in Porsches or getting  trained in yoga or Pilates and eating only raw fruit while they have  Vietnamese girls do their nails..

They can be  interesting, nice people, but they are not heroes to me any longer..   A real star is the soldier of the 4th Infantry Division who poked  his head into a hole on a farm near Tikrit, Iraq.  He could have  been met by a bomb or a hail of AK-47 bullets.  Instead, he faced  an abject Saddam Hussein and the gratitude of all of the decent people  of the world.

A  real star is the U.S. soldier who was sent to disarm a bomb next to a  road north of Baghdad.  He approached it, and the bomb went off and  killed him..

A real star, the kind who haunts my memory night and  day, is the U.S. soldier in Baghdad who saw a little girl playing with a  piece of unexploded ordnance on a street near where he was guarding a  station.  He pushed her aside and threw himself on it just as it  exploded. He left a family desolate in California and a little girl  alive in Baghdad.

The stars who deserve  media attention are not the ones who have lavish weddings on TV but the  ones who patrol the streets of Mosul even after two of their buddies  were murdered and their bodies battered and stripped for the sin of  trying to protect Iraqis from terrorists.

We put couples with  incomes of $100 million a year on the covers of our magazines.  The  noncoms and officers who barely scrape by on military pay but stand on  guard in Afghanistan and Iraq and on ships and in submarines and near  the Arctic Circle are anonymous as they live and die.

I am no longer  comfortable being a part of the system that has such poor values, and I  do not want to perpetuate those values by pretending that who is eating  at Morton's is a big subject.

There are plenty of other stars in  the American firmament..the policemen and women who go off on patrol in  South Central and have no idea if they will return alive; the orderlies  and paramedics who bring in people who have been in terrible accidents  and prepare them for surgery; the teachers and nurses who throw their  whole spirits into caring for autistic children; the kind men and women  who work in hospices and in cancer wards.

Think of each and every  fireman who was running up the stairs at the World Trade Center as the  towers began to collapse.  Now you have my idea of a real  hero.

I came to realize that life lived to help others is the  only one that matters  This is my highest and best use as a human.   I can put it another way. Years ago, I realized I could never be  as great an actor as Olivier or as good a comic as Steve Martin or  Martin Mull or Fred Willard--or as good an economist as Samuelson or  Friedman or as good a writer as Fitzgerald.  Or even remotely close  to any of them.

But, I could be a  devoted father to my son, husband to my wife and, above all, a good son  to the parents who had done so much for me.  This came to be my  main task in life.  I did it moderately well with my son, pretty  well with my wife and well indeed with my parents (with my sister's  help).  I cared for and paid attention to them in their declining  years.  I stayed with my father as he got sick, went into extremis  and then into a coma and then entered immortality with my sister and me  reading him the Psalms.

This was the only point  at which my life touched the lives of the soldiers in Iraq or the  firefighters in New York.  I came to realize that life lived to  help others is the only one that matters and that it is my duty, in  return for the lavish life God has devolved upon me, to help others He  has placed in my path.  This is my highest and best use as a  human

Faith is not  believing that God can.  It is knowing that God  will.

By  Ben Stein   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: A Pretty good article-Ben Stein
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:36:02 AM »
Solid!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:57:17 AM »
Misplaced priorities for sure.

Teachers, soldiers and police officers ought to be at the top of our nation's pay scale.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 03:17:58 PM »
Good read!  Thanks for posting!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 04:08:22 PM »
Great stuff, and spot on!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 10:17:32 PM »
Misplaced priorities for sure.

Teachers, soldiers and police officers ought to be at the top of our nation's pay scale.

Teachers?  Really???  I mean, as a profession, I do want to agree, but with the public school systems, their unions and the avoidance of any quality/achievement/merit based pay, teachers aren't exactly known for being top performers anymore. 

Don't forget firefighters, paramedics and doctors... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

wesfau2

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 11:09:20 AM »
Teachers?  Really???  I mean, as a profession, I do want to agree, but with the public school systems, their unions and the avoidance of any quality/achievement/merit based pay, teachers aren't exactly known for being top performers anymore. 

Yes, teachers.  Not necessarily for the state of the profession as it stands now, but as an overarching plan to increase standards and attract top talent.  The same comment stands for cops.  There are some real shitheads carrying a badge these days. 

Don't forget firefighters, paramedics and doctors... 

Firefighters and paramedics should definitely make more.  Doctors make plenty as it stands.  Probably more than they're worth in some cases.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 11:10:03 AM »
Yes, teachers.  I tell you what. Over the last couple of months, you've basically ripped me, my wife and both our professions.  You don't put yourself out there for all to analyze and critique but you do a damn good job of spouting off about everyone else.  I've met you personally one time in my life and you were shit faced half the time and passed out the other half.  Fuck you.  Your opinion means shit to me.

Damn.

Have I missed something over the weekend?  This is two posts in a row from you with a burr under your saddle.

Anything you want to share with the class?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 04:24:49 PM »
Damn.

Have I missed something over the weekend?  This is two posts in a row from you with a burr under your saddle.

Anything you want to share with the class?

I just removed it.  Drunk when I wrote it and out of line.  I don't do intraweb slap fights.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Ogre

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 04:28:25 PM »
I just removed it.  Drunk when I wrote it and out of line.  I don't do intraweb slap fights.

Thank God Wes quoted it for us. 

Pussy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 04:35:24 PM »
Thank God Wes quoted it for us. 

Pussy.
And the pussy just ain't no good, say what?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."