Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thanks To Nutt

boartitz

Thanks To Nutt
« on: May 30, 2009, 04:45:20 PM »
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sec

Nutt has single handidly caused a restriction to be put on the SEC with his 37 commitments this year. We are the only conference with this restriction.

Recapping the SEC spring meetings

May 29, 2009 6:19 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low

DESTIN, Fla. -- The SEC presidents have spoken, and the days of signing as many players as a coach wants  in this league are over.

Starting immediately, the SEC will cap football signees each year at 28. The coaches had favored capping it at 30, but the presidents voted Friday to cap it at 28.

Schools can only bring in a maximum of 25 players each fall, but some schools over-sign and then whittle that number down to get to 25.

The SEC schools can probably thank Ole Miss and Houston Nutt for this new legislation, which will go into effect whether it passes at the national level or not. The Rebels signed 37 players in February. Of course, Arkansas also signed 32.

Also, the football coaches had wanted to expand from two to four graduate assistants, but that proposal was shot down.

Slive ended the meetings by announcing that the league will distribute about $132.5 million to its 12 schools for the 2008-09 fiscal year. That's a 4 percent increase from last year.

Next year, when the new television contracts with ESPN and CBS kick in, that figure will climb even more, or in Slive's words, be "more robust."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Greaseyweasel

• Love Auburn, Hate chizik. 'nuff said.
Re: Thanks To Nutt
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 11:52:51 PM »
Seriously pigtitty, your a lot better off with Nutt and his coaching staff gone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You've got to learn to stand for something

or you'll fall for anything.

boartitz

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 12:36:31 AM »
Seriously pigtitty, your a lot better off with Nutt and his coaching staff gone.
I know that. Did you think I didn't know that?
I do not like Nutt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 01:29:16 PM »
I saw this question brought up on another board.
The coaches thought 30 was a good number, but the presidents voted for 28.
Where were the ADs and why didn't they vote on an athletic matter?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 01:32:19 PM »
I saw this question brought up on another board.
The coaches thought 30 was a good number, but the presidents voted for 28.
Where were the ADs and why didn't they vote on an athletic matter?
I'm sure the presidents asked the ADs for their input on the matter before voting. I don't see this as that terrible of a rule. I agree with it when you are signing say 35 guys who will all qualify, therefore 10 will get screwed. But if you sign 35 but 15 of them are obviously JUCO or prep bound, then thats another story. But who is to make the decision who is "obviously" not going to qualify, and who sets up the formula to determine that? Its just easiest to put a hard limit on it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 05:39:32 PM »
     My question is with the limit at 28, what happens if 4 don't qualify?  Do you scramble to find a kid in June or July?  How does this effect kids on the bubble academically?  Kids that would typically get scholarship offers are going to get passed up because teams can't afford to take a chance they won't qualify.  Obviously you can just give the scholarship to a walk-on, but effectively this reduces your team from 85 to 84 legitimate players.  If this happens a couple 3 years in a row, it can start to have a serious effect.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 06:06:21 PM »
I'm sure the presidents asked the ADs for their input on the matter before voting. I don't see this as that terrible of a rule. I agree with it when you are signing say 35 guys who will all qualify, therefore 10 will get screwed. But if you sign 35 but 15 of them are obviously JUCO or prep bound, then thats another story. But who is to make the decision who is "obviously" not going to qualify, and who sets up the formula to determine that? Its just easiest to put a hard limit on it.
It doesn't seem to me that the presidents took any input from the coaches or the ADs.
I know the ADs are caught in the middle, but I would think some at least would have voiced the coaches position.
The academic side seems to like fucking with athletics.
I am concerned that the SEC has this restriction and the rest of the conferences do not. There have been no real problems with this matter in the past that I am aware of.
Let the NCAA handle this and all teams will be in the same boat.
Along the line of thinking that Wally had, what about a coaching change where several players transfer?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 08:04:51 PM »
The only problem that I see is that this is only for the SEC.  So, a team like FSU can rack up with players that won't qualify, but can be placed by the University, which would make FSU look that much better a couple of years when those prospects get out of JUCO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 10:32:57 PM »
It's the Obama effect. If you are superior to others, we need to sanction you until you are part of the mediocre also. This should not be adhered to until the rest of the D1 schools also adhere to it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Greaseyweasel

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 02:37:16 PM »
Well when this is sat back and actually studied it is easy who is really behind this limitation.
Those schools withcoaches who can get it done on the field. It is going to make coaching ability bigger than the ability to recruit once again.
Poor lil chizik, he got fucked and as a result we got it too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 03:13:47 PM »
Well when this is sat back and actually studied it is easy who is really behind this limitation.
Those schools withcoaches who can get it done on the field. It is going to make coaching ability bigger than the ability to recruit once again.
greaseybammer, your fantasies about Coach Chizik is getting a little too graphic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Greaseyweasel

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 06:37:28 AM »
My fantazies about him involve him leaving town and Auburn hiring a coach.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

#1Bammer

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 12:24:24 PM »

Cheezit got fucked by Seadrunk???  What?????????!!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Greaseyweasel

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 07:37:31 PM »
No he has to coach and not just try to recruit. They are going to make him be in charge of a football team.
He got fucked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 08:44:08 PM »
My fantazies about him involve him leaving town and Auburn hiring a coach.
Soooo, you do fantasize about him  :homo:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Greaseyweasel

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 06:44:41 PM »
Yeah, I get a hard on thinking about that big Ryder truck slowly growing smaller in the distance as he slinks away in the shadows.
Not nearly as homo erotic as your fantasies but they are a lot better for Auburn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions