Kaos' way behind movie reviews

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #2980 on: September 19, 2019, 01:33:12 PM »
Unbelievable 
Not a movie, but still.  

This is an eight-part Netflix stand-alone series.  Since it's a single story with no sequels or prequels or second seasons, it played more like an extended movie than anything.  So it stays here.  

Unbelievable starts with the assault -- or was it -- of Marie Adler, played by Kaitlyn Dever (Eve Baxter from Last Man Standing) in Washington State.  Bullied by the police, including a drop in from Dawber (Coach) / Patrick (Spongebob) / Tom M-o-o-n Cullen (The Stand), Marie stumbles on some of the details and is eventually pushed into confessing that maybe she made it up, or didn't remember or dreamed it or something. The dismissive cops charge Marie with filing a false report, further exacerbating her already fragile state of mind. 

This long-form film follows her psychological torment while she struggles with the mental, physical and legal struggles as she tries to recover from aftermath of the event that either did or didn't happen. In episode 2 it veers off into a tangentially related story of assault investigations hundreds of miles away.  

As Marie's trying, and largely failing, to keep her life under control the film shifts perspective and brings us into the world of Colorado detective Karen Duvall, played with understated flair by Merritt Weaver.  I knew her from a flaccid performance as a possibly lesbian doctor-in-training on The Walking Dead.  Duvall is investigating an assault that sounds a lot like the one perpetrated on Marie, but as it's hundreds of miles away there's no connection.  Duvall accidentally discovers another attack in a different jurisdiction and eventually teams up with seasoned investigator Grace Rasmussen -- Toni Collette -- who's looking into that case.  

Over the course of the series the victims pile up and their stories circle the same rotten, perpetually traumatic ground as Adlers.  Could the assaults be related?  Will the detectives make the long leap to connect Adler's story and vindicate her? Was Adler lying?  Watch and find out.  

Let me first say that the performances from the primary characters in this film were fantastic.  

Dever portrayed an emotionally vulnerable, traumatized victim with conviction and clarity.  If all you knew of her was the wisecracking tomboy Eve from Last Man Standing, you'd never believe she had this much depth to her.  She brought a level of desperate intensity to her role that truly elevated the entire work. 

Collette was good as she usually is.  She's one of those who can drop into a role and you almost immediately forget she's acting. Same here.  She put on the Grace Rasmussen suit and was right on.  

Weaver enthralled me.  Given her nondescript performance in The Walking Dead, I really didn't expect much.  When I saw that she was going to be responsible for carrying a large part of this eight-hour exercise once the story spun to her investigation, I considered bailing on it.  But I was already hooked by Dever's work and decided to wait it out.  Glad I did.  Weaver was compelling without being overbearing. She maintained a low-key even keel while simultaneously pushing herself to the limit.  It was just a great effort on her part.  

There are other people in this series you've seen in other things, but make no mistake this was carried by Dever, Weaver and Collette. 

I've already seen all three mentioned as possible Emmy nominees for their work in this piece. I'd support any or all of them.  

Yes it was eight hours, but it never seemed like it.  The episodes moved slowly through the evidence but never lacked for tension or drifted into boredom.  I thought it was extremely well done.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2981 on: September 19, 2019, 01:33:53 PM »
Michael Scarn?  Steve Carell
Somebody never watched Threat Level Midnight.  Goldenface, is that you?  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2982 on: October 10, 2019, 10:50:54 AM »
How’s the obama joint venture Netflix company doing these days?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2983 on: October 16, 2019, 07:48:47 AM »
How’s the obama joint venture Netflix company doing these days?
Waiting for Disney+ to get into range and fire. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2984 on: October 16, 2019, 11:24:03 AM »
El Camino 

I loved Breaking Bad (although I feel it got to almost parody by the end).  Still it was one of the greatest shows in the history of episodic television.  It somehow managed to glide to the end without completely crapping the bed (like Sopranos).  The end was fitting. While it provided closure, it also left some threads dangling -- and that was fine. 

This month, creator Vince Gilligan added El Camino, essentially a two-hour coda to the end of a show that had already come tantalizingly close to perfection. 

I have to admit, I enjoyed seeing the characters on screen again, but the reality is that this movie added absolutely nothing to the overall canon.  In truth, it just wasn't necessary.  It didn't break any new ground, really.  

The movie bounced around in time, enough so that it was occasionally disorienting. It added pieces that fleshed out events that had happened in the series -- none of which was really that illuminating or valuable.   It debunked one long-held theory (Walt is alive) and gave us an almost schmaltzy "happy ending" that wasn't true to the series at all.  

It was fun to see Mike, Badger, Skinny Pete, Jane and a few others for the fleeting moments they were on stage, but the payoff just wasn't there.  

Not a bad movie, but so utterly and completely unnecessary that it felt forced/fake.  Like some bad fan fiction or something.  I get that Aaron Paul has no other career path and that there may some day be an entire Jesse Pinkman series/film/whatever to keep him employed.  I just think in this case it was better left alone.  It provided "closure" I didn't want or need. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2985 on: October 16, 2019, 11:27:26 AM »
Death Wish
Charles Bronson. 1974. 

Sort of a Dirty Harry lite.  Far better than the Bruce Willis remake.  Bronson's wife is killed by some young predators, cops can't do anything and he takes on the task of exacting revenge.  

I only bring this one up to note the horrible, grimacing, leering performance by Jeff Goldblum as a pervy rapist.  Hard to believe the guy had a career -- and a long, distinguished one -- after this abomination.  

It's worth watching just for the gritty 70s vibe and to see Goldblum ham it up badly.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2986 on: October 17, 2019, 07:27:41 AM »
El Camino
 I get that Aaron Paul has no other career path and that there may some day be an entire Jesse Pinkman series/film/whatever to keep him employed.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.  You got some color on the psychological breaking of Jesse...and what an utter black hole of a human Todd turns out to be.  

Your quote above, though, is dead fucking wrong.  AP has 3 season's worth of The Path as lead, he's star/producer of 5-6 seasons of BoJack Horseman, and he's in the upcoming season of Westworld.  

Jesse stays working.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2987 on: October 17, 2019, 07:41:17 AM »
Your quote above, though, is dead fucking wrong.  AP has 3 season's worth of The Path as lead, he's star/producer of 5-6 seasons of BoJack Horseman, and he's in the upcoming season of Westworld. 

The what?  Bo which? West where? 

The only one of those things I've heard of is Westworld.  Tried it, didn't like it, thought it was canceled. 

Is this a 'get off my lawn' moment?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2988 on: October 17, 2019, 08:28:03 AM »

Yes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

« Reply #2989 on: October 17, 2019, 08:36:58 AM »
Waiting for Disney+ to get into range and fire.
I think you have that backwards 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2990 on: October 17, 2019, 09:51:00 AM »
The what?  Bo which? West where? 

The only one of those things I've heard of is Westworld.  Tried it, didn't like it, thought it was canceled. 

I loved West World.

Yul Brynner was badass!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2991 on: October 17, 2019, 09:59:44 AM »
I loved West World.

Yul Brynner was badass!
Little known Biblical fact.  The reason Moses was able to get those people out of Egypt was because Yul Brynner was only 5'8".  Charlton Heston was 6'3".  He would have kicked Pharoah's ass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2992 on: October 19, 2019, 01:33:51 PM »
Cursed

Jesse Eisenberg, Christina Ricci,  Josh Jackson, (the oddly attractive to me) Judy Greer, Nick Offerman, Craig Kilborn and Shannon Elizabeth in a movie about becoming werewolves.  How could it miss? 

Slow-moving story, bored performances, very little werewolf action -- that's how.  Should have been killer, was a snoozer instead.  

Polaroid 

Antique camera, whoever is in the photo is subject to being killed by some wheezing ghosty thing.  

It wasn't bad until it veered off into the final act.  Does anyone really believe an enormous photo lab in a high school would remain there for 40 years after an act of savagery was perpetrated there? And that pictures would still be hanging from strings above the enormous, unused chemical baths? Hugely stupid contrivance of convenience.  

Half-decent movie, filled with unknowns. As good as any of the endless parade of brain-dead Blumhouse tripe that's spun out over the last few years.  Somehow flew under the radar and vanished on release. 

It did throw in three or four instances of my horror movie pet peeves, though.  

When someone is alone at home why: 
1) Do they stand around in the dark and never turn on any lights?
2) Even when they hear an unexplained noise, why don't they reach for a light switch?
3) When there's some random crashing, banging, howling, growling noise of some kind why in the FUCKITY FUCK does the person who is alone always go "hello...?"   I absolutely hate that, but it appears to be a standard horror event that is required to be in every single movie.  

Other peeve?  Where do all the flashlights magically come from?  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2993 on: October 24, 2019, 03:57:50 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed it.  You got some color on the psychological breaking of Jesse...and what an utter black hole of a human Todd turns out to be. 

Jesse stays working.
Mr. Peanut Butter sucks though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #2994 on: October 24, 2019, 04:26:30 PM »
Anyone see Zombieland 2?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2995 on: October 24, 2019, 04:30:42 PM »
Anyone see Zombieland 2?
Is that the one with Bill Murray?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2996 on: October 24, 2019, 04:50:44 PM »
Anyone see Zombieland 2?
Have not, but it's definitely on the list. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2997 on: October 25, 2019, 10:04:30 AM »
Have not, but it's definitely on the list.
The cut a bitch list?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2998 on: October 27, 2019, 01:20:23 AM »
3 From Hell

Always liked Devil’s Rejects.  It’s an outlandish tale of unexplained mayhem. Liked House of 1000 Corpses too but not as much. 

This is a continuation of the Devils Rejects storyline.  And it’s awful. 

It’s up there with the worst movies I’ve ever seen.  Rob Zombie can make some creepy great music. Some of his stuff i enjoy a lot.  He can occasionally hit the random mark with a movie (Rejects). This?  Total dog shit.

He has no feel for story, no sense of pacing, no concept of plot. It’s just a mish mash of ridiculously bad dialogue, horrible performances and idiotic mayhem for the sake of mayhem.  The man should never make another movie.

It’s bad.  I’m going to try to forget I watched it so it doesn’t shit on the legacy of the two I did like. 

Damn that was awful. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #2999 on: October 27, 2019, 08:47:56 AM »
3 From Hell

Always liked Devil’s Rejects.  It’s an outlandish tale of unexplained mayhem. Liked House of 1000 Corpses too but not as much. 

This is a continuation of the Devils Rejects storyline.  And it’s awful. 

It’s up there with the worst movies I’ve ever seen.  Rob Zombie can make some creepy great music. Some of his stuff i enjoy a lot.  He can occasionally hit the random mark with a movie (Rejects). This?  Total dog shit.

He has no feel for story, no sense of pacing, no concept of plot. It’s just a mish mash of ridiculously bad dialogue, horrible performances and idiotic mayhem for the sake of mayhem.  The man should never make another movie.

It’s bad.  I’m going to try to forget I watched it so it doesn’t shit on the legacy of the two I did like. 

Damn that was awful.

so bad it made the game seem better?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE