Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #820 on: October 21, 2011, 08:58:20 AM »
Is it me, or have most of the reviews of recent movies been well-deserved harsh criticisms? 

I've got this theory that 99% of the movies being released over the past decade have been absolute shit.

When it comes to movies, I'm pretty hard to please. 

I want a coherent storyline that doesn't contain ridiculous gaps, illogical leaps, improbable/impossible coincidences and dangling plot points. 

I want actors that engage me and make me forget they are acting (See Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone, what a damn fine performance THAT was). 

I want time and attention paid to the set.  I want creativity. 

I want smart storytelling, clever dialogue.  I want to be surprised. 

In the absence of that, I want to be ENTERTAINED (See Transformers). 

I can like any style of movie, but it has to at least try.  Most movies today don't.  When Judd Apatow is hailed as a creative/comedic genius we are in a world of shit.   The worst Cheech and Chong movie is more clever and creative than anything the Apatow line has shat out. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #821 on: October 21, 2011, 10:19:19 AM »
Night before last, I watched 6th Sense again.  I'm sure some thought it was lame, but for me, it was the last time I walked out of a theater and couldn't stop talking about what I just saw.  One of those movies where the ending makes every scene you thought meant one thing, suddenly becomes part of a totally different storyline.  All the way home, we're going, "Oh yeah, and remember the scene where he meets his wife for dinner and she gets up and walks out?"  "But what about when...?"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #822 on: October 21, 2011, 11:00:32 AM »
Kaos, I'm too lazy to go back in this thread to find out for myself.  Have you reviewed the paranormal activities films?  I know they are fake, but I really like them and can't wait to watch the next one.  MmmK thanks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #823 on: October 21, 2011, 11:11:17 AM »
Kaos, I'm too lazy to go back in this thread to find out for myself.  Have you reviewed the paranormal activities films?  I know they are fake, but I really like them and can't wait to watch the next one.  MmmK thanks.

Not sure if reviewed.  I watched the first one.   

I thought the build ups were great.  They did a good job of drawing out the tension. 

But I was underwhelmed with the end reveals.   

I remember watching The Entity back in the 80s (Barbara Hershey's boobs squeezed by an invisible force).  It was the same kind of thing but a little better.  It also channeled Blair Witch a bit and I wasn't a huge Blair Witch fan. 

They're okay, but derivative. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #824 on: October 21, 2011, 11:13:25 AM »

I thought the build ups were great.  They did a good job of drawing out the tension. 

I remember watching The Entity back in the 80s (Barbara Hershey's boobs squeezed by an invisible force).  It was the same kind of thing but a little better.  It also channeled Blair Witch a bit and I wasn't a huge Blair Witch fan. 

Thanks.  And I only watched about 30 minutes of Blair Witch and turned it off.  That shaky camera shit just didn't do it for me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #825 on: October 21, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »

Didn't think they were all that great but I thought it was different and creative. They are laughing all the way to the bank as are the Napoleon Dynamite makers. None of those movies cost anything make. Very smart business people if nothing else.

ssg - have you seen both 1 and 2? It seems that 2 shows the buildup to where 1 begins. Kind of interesting. Although I thought 2 had scarier moments in general, the last 10 mins of 1 could make someone shit their pants.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #826 on: October 21, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »
Didn't think they were all that great but I thought it was different and creative. They are laughing all the way to the bank as are the Napoleon Dynamite makers. None of those movies cost anything make. Very smart business people if nothing else.

ssg - have you seen both 1 and 2? It seems that 2 shows the buildup to where 1 begins. Kind of interesting. Although I thought 2 had scarier moments in general, the last 10 mins of 1 could make someone shit their pants.

Yes I've seen them both.  2 did have its moments but like you said, the end of 1 was great.  I guess the reason I like them is because they are different than the normal scary movie type of crap.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #827 on: October 21, 2011, 02:19:44 PM »
Yes I've seen them both.  2 did have its moments but like you said, the end of 1 was great.  I guess the reason I like them is because they are different than the normal scary movie type of crap.

Its the angle of them being "real" like Blair Witch.

And yeah, they are fake as hell. But clever. The new one comes out soon I believe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #828 on: October 21, 2011, 02:25:14 PM »
Its the angle of them being "real" like Blair Witch.

And yeah, they are fake as hell. But clever. The new one comes out soon I believe.

I think it's the fact that you are sitting there just trying to find the smallest thing happening and then, BOOM all the fucking cabinet doors open and slam shut.

Yes I've seen the trailer for #3 and can't wait to get it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #829 on: October 21, 2011, 02:52:45 PM »
I think it's the fact that you are sitting there just trying to find the smallest thing happening and then, BOOM all the fucking cabinet doors open and slam shut.

Yes I've seen the trailer for #3 and can't wait to get it.

Just looked in the Columbus (GA) paper. It opens tonight.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #830 on: October 21, 2011, 07:23:49 PM »
When it comes to movies, I'm pretty hard to please. 

I want a coherent storyline that doesn't contain ridiculous gaps, illogical leaps, improbable/impossible coincidences and dangling plot points. 

I want actors that engage me and make me forget they are acting (See Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone, what a damn fine performance THAT was). 

I want time and attention paid to the set.  I want creativity. 

I want smart storytelling, clever dialogue.  I want to be surprised. 

In the absence of that, I want to be ENTERTAINED (See Transformers). 

I can like any style of movie, but it has to at least try.  Most movies today don't.  When Judd Apatow is hailed as a creative/comedic genius we are in a world of shitake.   The worst Cheech and Chong movie is more clever and creative than anything the Apatow line has shat out.

You want Batman XXX or Pirates...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Even our nerdy chicks are hotter than Iowa's

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #831 on: October 21, 2011, 08:50:05 PM »
Is it me, or have most of the reviews of recent movies been well-deserved harsh criticisms? 

I've got this theory that 99% of the movies being released over the past decade have been absolute shit.
The same could be said for TV nowadays as well. I mean, I'm only 28, and I think TV sucks. A few weeks ago my wife and I were discussing how movies and TV have both gone to shit, really. Pretty much the only shows my wife and I watch are Hell's Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares, Storage Wars, Glee, Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, and America's Funniest Home Videos (some for us, some for the kids). We have sort of gotten into X-Factor recently. I don't like American Idol, but I think X-Factor is OK so far. So You Think You Can Dance is pretty good too.

The sitcoms, and TV in general just aren't the same as they used to be. I think movies are getting worse and worse due to the need to just pop one out every so often. Good ones are just fewer and farther between. And there doesn't seem to be a middle of the road anymore, either. They are either good, or a total dud.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #832 on: October 23, 2011, 05:07:15 AM »
The same could be said for TV nowadays as well. I mean, I'm only 28, and I think TV sucks. A few weeks ago my wife and I were discussing how movies and TV have both gone to shit, really. Pretty much the only shows my wife and I watch are Hell's Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares, Storage Wars, Glee, Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, and America's Funniest Home Videos (some for us, some for the kids). We have sort of gotten into X-Factor recently. I don't like American Idol, but I think X-Factor is OK so far. So You Think You Can Dance is pretty good too.

The sitcoms, and TV in general just aren't the same as they used to be. I think movies are getting worse and worse due to the need to just pop one out every so often. Good ones are just fewer and farther between. And there doesn't seem to be a middle of the road anymore, either. They are either good, or a total dud.

Good TV: The ones that properly "retool" Ricky and Lucy, and All in the Family, plus the rare one that does something a little fresh in a good way.

Bad TV: The ones that improperly "retool" Ricky and Lucy, and All in the Family, plus the plethora that attempt something fresh and fail miserably. 

Movies: almost same same, but there's a little bit more freedom on the big screen to do something unique, but few have the balls and talent to do it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #833 on: October 23, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »
I think family comedies can still thrive.  Take Modern Family for example. 

I haven't seen Tim Allen's new show, but I have high hopes.  What seems to be missing is diversity when it comes to family shows. 

In the prime of family TV shows (my childhood of course), you had Home Improvement, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Cosby Show, Fresh Prince, Full House, Married with Children, Malcolm in the Middle (late childhood), Roseanne, and Family Matters.

Each one of those shows brought a unique perspective of family life with its own style of comedy. 

The family show has been replaced with a bunch of extended Saturday Night Live skits that feature late 20s/early 30s single people. 

Not that those shows are inherently bad.  A few are great. 

But comedy is mostly dead on TV. 

Luckily, a few stations like AMC have had the audacity to put HBO-level shows on TV.  Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, and Mad Men have all flourished on cable. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:56:55 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #834 on: October 23, 2011, 10:39:53 AM »
Pretty much the only shows my wife and I watch are

Hell's Kitchen Reality show bullshit.  Garbage.

Kitchen Nightmares Reality show bullshit.  Garbage.

Storage Wars Reality show bullshit.  Garbage.

Glee Fag

Boardwalk Empire Good show, but the Sopranos in the 30s is all it is

True Blood Fag

America's Funniest Home Videos (some for us, some for the kids) Dumb

We have sort of gotten into X-Factor recently.  Fag

TV hasn't declined.  Your taste in television is shit, you fucking goat roper.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #835 on: October 23, 2011, 10:41:26 AM »

In the prime of family TV shows (my childhood of course), you had Home Improvement, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Cosby Show, Fresh Prince, Full House, Married with Children, Malcolm in the Middle (late childhood), Roseanne, and Family Matters.

Each one of those shows brought a unique perspective of family life with its own style of comedy. 

FWIW?  Most of those were terrible, horrible shows.  HI and ELR in particular sucked the monkey tit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #836 on: October 23, 2011, 10:52:15 AM »
FWIW?  Most of those were terrible, horrible shows.  HI and ELR in particular sucked the monkey tit.

:fu: Watching Home Improvement right now and laughing. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

JR4AU

« Reply #837 on: October 23, 2011, 11:11:15 AM »
TV hasn't declined.  Your taste in television is shit, you fucking goat roper.

Although I like Hell's Kitchen for comedic value, I have to pretty much agree with K's take.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #838 on: October 23, 2011, 01:22:03 PM »

THIS

Ssg, caught paranormal 3 in auburn last night. Best one yet. The plot thickens. There are some root cause things going on now. There will be a PA 4 at least.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #839 on: October 23, 2011, 01:38:56 PM »
:fu: Watching Home Improvement right now and laughing. 
Unless you watch what Kaos watches, you're a moron. Get it right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler