Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #640 on: May 23, 2011, 11:03:11 PM »
Shawshank Redemption

What's the big deal?

I mean, great movie.  I like it a lot.  But it's #1 on IMDB.com's top 250 list. 

Better than Godfather?  No.

Better than The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly?  No.

I'd put it in my top 25.  It might make the top 25.  Maybe.

Agree....great movie. But far from the best of all time.  Its not even Morgan Freeman's best of all time.

Just gone done watching The Expendables....finally.

Agree with Kaos. It was ok, but not the juggernaut they built it up to be. Too much special effects and CGI. Not enough substance. Stallone needs to put down the HGH already.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #641 on: May 26, 2011, 01:34:28 AM »
In Bruges

I think this was the movie The American aspired to be. 

Couple of remorseful murderers hiding out in Bruges, which Colin Farrell describes as "a shithole" on multiple occasions. 

The older murderer enjoys the scenery and the history of the oldest preserved medieval town in Europe.  Their boss compares it to a fairy tale.  Colin hates it and wishes he was home or at least in London.  Then their boss gives them an order that changes all their lives.  Each has to make life and death decisions -- sometimes more than once.

Masterful mix of humor and pathos.  One minute you're feeling horrible over the angst and horror Farrell's Ray feels over an assisination that went wrong. The next you're laughing at his frustration with Bruges or at him karate chopping a midget.  Yes, he karate chops a midget. 

There's a dalliance with Chloe (played by Clémence Poésy who is pictured below).  She's not what you'd call classically beautiful, but she's engagingly cute and sexy. 

I liked this movie.  I ended up liking it a lot. Not something I'm going to watch ten or eleven times, but it's worth a look just for Farrell's performance as a petulant, childish gangster who's beating himself up.

It dragged in parts and was maybe a little too in love with Bruges (although I now want to go there).  It was a touch too brooding in parts and it started so slowly I wasn't sure I could get behind it but once I figured out where it was headed I really enjoyed the slow ride.

For the record, I laughed three times as much in this movie as I did during The Hangover.

No nudity, no sex. Lots of use of the word "fuck."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #642 on: May 26, 2011, 09:40:27 AM »
Mr. Popper's Penguins

I have not seen this film.  I will not see this film.  I just wanted to be the first to say that this film is God awful and should be burned. 

This review is based off of the one TV spot that was on during the NBA game last night.  These guys do a good job of summing it up.  http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2011/may/25/mr-poppers-penguins-jim-carrey-trailer

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #643 on: May 26, 2011, 04:40:29 PM »
How many of you fucks are named Kaos?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #644 on: May 26, 2011, 07:21:17 PM »

flex your e-penis and make it a lockable thread...you with the only key. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #645 on: May 26, 2011, 10:58:12 PM »

Who the fuck wants to hear your opinion about movies in this thread?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #646 on: May 26, 2011, 11:39:53 PM »
:jesus:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

« Reply #647 on: May 26, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #649 on: May 27, 2011, 07:40:05 AM »

44 pages mocks you. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #650 on: May 28, 2011, 08:09:45 AM »
Solitary Man

This movie was what Wall Street II: Boring as Fuck really should have been. 

Change Michael Douglas' name from Ben to Gordon, change the business from car dealer to financial broker and the films easily could have been interchangeable -- except this one was better, way better than Wall Street.  It's the movie Wall Street could have been but failed miserably to attain.

This is one of those "how did this movie miss" curiosities that I don't understand.  It was released in 2009 nad just sort of disappeared from the radar. 

Top notch cast, but it just vanished.  Cost $15 million to make, did only about $4 mil box office.

It drifts into a very grey area early on, brushing up against an extremely uncomfortable and disturbing subject with serious taboos attached.  Maybe this is why the film never made a mainstream dent.  I'm sure it probably crossed enough lines to cause some pushback.

Michael Douglas, Danny DeVito, Susan Sarandon, Mary-Louise Parker, Imogene Poots, Jesse Eisenberg, Richard Schiff and Jenna Fischer (who says "fuck" at least twice) populate the cast.

An disturbing visit to a doctor sets an ultra successful businessman on a path of self-destruction.  He destroys everything that once meant anything to him and revels in his own debauchery.   

The film makes no apologies for occasional ambiguity, even at the end.  Was anything ever realy wrong with Ben or did he just freak out out of unwarranted fear?  Is he really a skeevy bastard or is he just reacting to his fear? Is it young ass or security that he seriously craves?

Douglas is completely at home playing this part.  He does the downtrodden rich like he was born into it.  He plays the lothario sleaze to perfection.  He rolls around in this role like your favorite dog in a piece of dead roadkill.  Ends up stinking like hell, but you can't help but like him even though he really has no redeeming qualities.

Sarandon, who I hate, wasn't bad.  Her scenes were limited and she didn't over act.  Fischer never got remotely naked and I have a hard time seeing her as anything but Pam.  She's not nearly as stuck as Pam as Jim is as Jim, but it is close.

The head turning scene at the very end is classic.  Closure would have been nice, but is there ever really any closure in life?  The ending was as open-ended as The Sopranos finale in its own weird way. 

Not the best movie I've ever seen, but as a character study it wasn't bad even though Douglas' take on this skeevy character has been studied repeatedly in film.  He's almost playing a caricature of the other skeeves he's played.

Still, if you can get past the taboo (which I won't spoil)  check out this superior version of Wall Street II.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #651 on: May 28, 2011, 08:40:35 AM »
The Babysitters

Yet another movie that busts a taboo wide open. 

It's a little like Risky Business in reverse.  Babysitter hooks up with a dad and then helps her friends earn a little side money.  Of course it gets out of hand. 

Very weird movie.  The lead babysitter, Shirley, is oddly attractive.  Shows her sweaty midsection and crazily decent tits in one pretty cool scene.  Difficult to manage looking at them knowing that she's the daughter of Law & Order's Jack McCoy in real life. (Daa-DUMMMM)

For any guy who's ever hired a good looking baby sitter and had a random inappropriate thought while driving her home..... this is why you keep those thoughts locked away deep, deep in your head where they belong.

Lots of sad, seeking, lost, confused married schlumps finding validation and being manipulated by all-too-mature teenage girls.  Living the fantasy -- except the fantasy has fangs.

Only a little (okay, maybe a lot) unrealistic in the lack of consequences.  In the real world somebody's going to jail.  Jack McCoy (with help from Elliot Stabler and Olivia Benson) would make sure of it.  Letting everybody skate is a story-telling fail. 

But of course everybody skated in Risky Business, too, so it's the filmmaker's prerogative.  The final spoken denoument makes no sense, though. 

Worth seeing just for Jack McCoy's daughter's sweaty tits. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #652 on: May 28, 2011, 10:07:57 PM »
I was at the grocery store and saw this girl in cutoff stretching up to get something off the top shelf.  I thought to myself, "Those are some nice legs."  Then she turns around and it is our 16 year old babysitter.  I went home and told my wife, "I heard Olivia has been caught smoking weed, we can't hire here anymore."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #653 on: May 29, 2011, 08:14:04 AM »
I was at the grocery store and saw this girl in cutoff stretching up to get something off the top shelf.  I thought to myself, "Those are some nice legs."  Then she turns around and it is our 16 year old babysitter.  I went home and told my wife, "I heard Olivia has been caught smoking weed, we can't hire here anymore."

I demand, uh I mean, saniflush demands pics of this encounter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #654 on: May 29, 2011, 07:12:34 PM »
The Dilemma

Holy fuck. This shit was a disgrace. One of the worst movies I have ever seen...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #655 on: May 30, 2011, 04:13:55 AM »
Ummm Yeah...that's already been covered, back on page one or two.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #656 on: May 30, 2011, 05:05:17 AM »
Ummm Yeah...that's already been covered, back on page one or two.

It wasn't a serious question.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #657 on: May 31, 2011, 12:03:45 AM »
Green Zone -- 2010
The Longest Day -- 1962

I watched Green Zone with Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear.  Within 24 hours I watched The Longest Day with John Wayne, Sean Connery, Robert Wagner, Henry Fonda, Robert Mitchum, Red Buttons, Steve Forrest, Fabian, Richard Burton, Peter Lawford, Roddy McDowell, Sal Mineo and Richard Dawson (among hundreds of others you'd likely recoginze. 

The dicohtomy in presentation made me physically ill and very clearly illustrated just how far we as a nation have slid in the way we view ourselves and our position in the world.  The media's relentless "need to know" coupled with general public apathy and compounded by the current "love in, laugh in" generation of radical hippie fucks who have become the establishment all conspire to destroy everything we are and everything we could be -- and do it from the inside.

In The Longest Day, the soldiers were portrayed as heroes, putting their lives on the line and willingly sacrificing themselves in the name of honor, country, loyalty, faith and dury. 

In Green Zone, the US is the bad guy, the clueless invader, the arrogant deceiver bent on war for reasons of greed.  We lie to our troops, we lie to our allies, we lie to our enemies, we lie to ourselves.  That's the message of Green Zone. 

In The Longest Day, valor was exhibited by our heroic troops. In Green Zone, the troops were confused and disorganized, their agendas self-serving. The only nobility and valor was exhibited by a one-legged local.

I'm sick of movies that demonize our soldiers, paint our administration (under GWB) as inept and corrupt and portray America as the evil empire imposing its bogus will on the world.   

After watching The Longest Day, I shut off my television and said a slient prayer thanking God for the men who spilled their blood and sacrificed their lives so that air-headed shit bags like the pacifist fucks who make movies like Green Zone have the freedom and the right to smear the name and reputation of this country.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #658 on: May 31, 2011, 06:50:20 AM »
I'm sick of movies that demonize our soldiers, paint our administration (under GWB) as inept and corrupt and portray America as the evil empire imposing its bogus will on the world.   

:thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #659 on: May 31, 2011, 09:35:55 AM »
It's amazing to me that the only movie that makes US troops look like brave, organized, upstanding people that I have seen in the last 10 years was....Transformers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions