Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #500 on: March 24, 2011, 10:32:33 AM »
donkey punching kind.

Meh, they say they are going to let you see a donkey punch on them, and they give you their number, and when you call, they never call you back.

I speak from experience.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #501 on: March 24, 2011, 10:33:23 AM »
8 more posts and you get a button

I have an uneasy feeling about this. Like Y2K or something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #502 on: March 24, 2011, 01:50:11 PM »
What you're missing here is that Kaos liked back-to-back movies.  And they were both watched on the same day. 

Upon further consideration, however, I'm thinking The Fighter was actually Invincible but it was about boxing instead of football.   The two movies could almost play side by side.  They're really interchangeable.  That being the case, I'd probably take Elizabeth Banks over Amy Adams.  Why didn't Invincible get the same kind of Oscar buzz that The Fighter did?  (One word:  Christian Bale. Okay, that's two words, but it means one person).

And how does Marky Mark keep grabbing roles in Oscar-heavy films but keeps getting ignored by The Academy?  The Departed wouldn't have worked without Mr. Marky.  The Fighter was his movie, but just like Micky in real life, he was overshadowed by his more outspoken but less accomplished brother (Bale/Dicky).  At some point the Oscars are going to have to reward this former rapper/underwear model.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #503 on: March 24, 2011, 02:28:15 PM »
What you're missing here is that Kaos liked back-to-back movies.  And they were both watched on the same day. 

Upon further consideration, however, I'm thinking The Fighter was actually Invincible but it was about boxing instead of football.   The two movies could almost play side by side.  They're really interchangeable.  That being the case, I'd probably take Elizabeth Banks over Amy Adams.  Why didn't Invincible get the same kind of Oscar buzz that The Fighter did?  (One word:  Christian Bale. Okay, that's two words, but it means one person).

And how does Marky Mark keep grabbing roles in Oscar-heavy films but keeps getting ignored by The Academy?  The Departed wouldn't have worked without Mr. Marky.  The Fighter was his movie, but just like Micky in real life, he was overshadowed by his more outspoken but less accomplished brother (Bale/Dicky).  At some point the Oscars are going to have to reward this former rapper/underwear model.

Agree...The Departed was great. He confuses me though. One good movie, then something terrible or just average. Maybe just bad movie selection or just hindsight.

The Happening...really? The plot was horrible to me. Marky was good but the movie itself? Meh...And maybe its because everything Shamalyan does now will seem to be a let down after making his mark with Sixth Sense, but lately his movies just haven't done it for me.  Devil was 'ok'.

But back to topic, I do generally like Marky's acting and movies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #504 on: March 24, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »
8 more posts and you get a button
Button?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #505 on: March 24, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »
Anyone want to review Devil's Reject for AUT1?  I haven't got around to watching it yet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #506 on: March 24, 2011, 04:08:58 PM »
Anyone want to review Devil's Reject for AUT1?  I haven't got around to watching it yet.

I already did somewhere in this thread.  Or on this board.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #507 on: March 24, 2011, 04:17:21 PM »

I mean, when are they going ot recognize the greatness of Boogie Nights?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #508 on: March 24, 2011, 04:39:22 PM »
Rango

Johnny Depp is a genius.

The animation was amazing.  It was as good -- no probably better -- than Pixar. 

Story wise and character development wise it beat the pants off Despicable Me (which I liked) and MegaMind (which I thought was crappy).

The movie tipped its hat to just about every spaghetti western ever filmed.   It would almost be worth watching again just to see how many of them it channeled.  Among my favorites was the scene where the undertaker was measuring him for a coffin.

There was also a random KISS reference which made me laugh. 

So many animated movies miss the mark and dwell in crude jokes and/or sappy schmaltz.  This film did neither.  It told an intelligent, engaging story and did it with flair. 

The cast of characters was quite ugly, but the movie found a way to make all the dirty, scuzzy stereotypical spaghetti western dirtbags charming. 

Very good movie.

Four kids went.  Three hated it.  One fell asleep.  Acompanying parents also disliked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #509 on: March 24, 2011, 05:05:38 PM »
Four kids went.  Three hated it.  One fell asleep.  Acompanying parents also disliked.

Not for everybody apparently.  I hate most movies that are hailed 'round here anyhow. 

One of the highest rated movies currently on RottenTomatoes. 

So many animated movies miss the mark and dwell in crude jokes and/or sappy schmaltz.  This film did neither.  It told an intelligent, engaging story and did it with flair. 

Yes.  I said that.   I'd watch it again right now. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #510 on: March 24, 2011, 08:18:49 PM »

Not for everybody apparently.  I hate most movies that are hailed 'round here anyhow. 

One of the highest rated movies currently on RottenTomatoes. 

Yes.  I said that.   I'd watch it again right now.

I have not seen it. This was the comment from some friends whom took their kids.  Said the plot was nebulous and you never really connect with the main character. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:19:34 PM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #511 on: March 26, 2011, 01:10:42 AM »
Faster

Billy Bob Thornton, Carla Gugino, Simon Adibesi (from Oz, no idea what his real name is), the creepy red Malachi dude from the original Children of the Corn and The Rock in a violent tale of revenge. 

Not a fan of Billy Bob with the exception of his role in SlingBlade.  Carla has looked better. 

The story was very weak.  Rock's rage was not convincingly defined and the parental/sibling relationship was, frankly, laughable. 

Rock is a good actor when spoofing himself (Get Smart), when doing broad comedy (Tooth Fairy) or in roles where he's not required to convincingly emote (Scorpion King).  Here where he had to play a flashback death scene where his brother was killed?  Ugh.  Just plain terrible acting.  Seriously awful. 

The film jumped from implausible scene to implausible scene. Where are all the cops when he just walks out of a bar/hospital/office after shooting somebody? How come Rock can put a bullet through the middle of a guy's forehead while essentially shooting from the hip, but he can unload the clip at another guy standing in the hall and miss every time?  Why does the fucking assassin just watch instead of unloading on him during any of the 15 dozen opportunities he has?  Why does the assassin's wife -- who in one scene was sexually aroused by gunplay -- suddenly turn into mush when he doesn't quit the killing game?  How come the voices of the employer and the employer himself don't come close to matching?   

Whatever. 

It was a carnage-filled, utterly joyless rampage.  The Rock is so much better when he gets to add a touch of humor.  He's like Cam.  Things are better when he's smiling. 

Forgettable movie.  For all involved.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #512 on: March 26, 2011, 01:20:45 AM »
Unstoppable

This movie was generally panned and I didn't expect much. 

But I liked it.  I liked Pelham 123, too, and it got the same critical bashing. 

There were some extraneous scenes.  Why bother to show the kids at all if they weren't going to be in peril?  That was a wasted 15 minutes of the movie. 

But the rest was pretty tight.  Denzel brings a breezy cool to every role he plays. I've come to appreciate him more and more as an actor.  He'll take the occasional dud role, but he makes the acting seem so completely effortless it's hard not to enjoy his performance. 

The action was well paced, the disagreements between the corporate suits and the men/women in the trenches rang true and the movie steered clear of ridiculous and unnecessary sub plots (with the exception of the damn kids). 

I wish they hadn't done the "based on a true story" thing, though, because from what I understand the real story was much less dramatic.  There was no arched curve, the train wasn't going but something like 20 mph, nobody had to run across the boxcars. 

Just make the movie and keep it to yourself that you heard a story about a train that ran away and decided it would make a great film.  Happens all the time.  Based on a true story?  So was Inglorious Basterds. 

I still thought this was a good movie.  I enjoyed watching it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #513 on: March 26, 2011, 07:13:59 AM »
Faster

Billy Bob Thornton, Carla Gugino, Simon Adibesi (from Oz, no idea what his real name is), the creepy red Malachi dude from the original Children of the Corn and The Rock in a violent tale of revenge. 

Not a fan of Billy Bob with the exception of his role in SlingBlade.  Carla has looked better. 

The story was very weak.  Rock's rage was not convincingly defined and the parental/sibling relationship was, frankly, laughable. 

Rock is a good actor when spoofing himself (Get Smart), when doing broad comedy (Tooth Fairy) or in roles where he's not required to convincingly emote (Scorpion King).  Here where he had to play a flashback death scene where his brother was killed?  Ugh.  Just plain terrible acting.  Seriously awful. 

The film jumped from implausible scene to implausible scene. Where are all the cops when he just walks out of a bar/hospital/office after shooting somebody? How come Rock can put a bullet through the middle of a guy's forehead while essentially shooting from the hip, but he can unload the clip at another guy standing in the hall and miss every time?  Why does the fucking assassin just watch instead of unloading on him during any of the 15 dozen opportunities he has?  Why does the assassin's wife -- who in one scene was sexually aroused by gunplay -- suddenly turn into mush when he doesn't quit the killing game?  How come the voices of the employer and the employer himself don't come close to matching?   

Whatever. 

It was a carnage-filled, utterly joyless rampage.  The Rock is so much better when he gets to add a touch of humor.  He's like Cam.  Things are better when he's smiling. 

Forgettable movie.  For all involved.

The Ruger 454 Casull Alaskan was worth the price of admission.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #514 on: March 27, 2011, 12:01:12 AM »
Due Date

This must be a record.  Four movies of the last five I actually liked. 

Fact is I didn't expect to like it at all.  I don't care for Zack Gaffinakalkiginas at all.  I didn't find The Hangover all that funny.  I thought he sucked iguana ass in Dinner for Schmucks (a terrible, terrible movie).   I expcected him to befoul this one, too. 

Not so fast.  I laughed when I was supposed to laugh, and a few times I probably wasn't supposed to. 

Yes it followed basically the same pattern as Planes, Trains and Automobiles.  Yes, PT&A was done better in terms of character development and had the tear-jerking sentimental sap going for it at the end.  Yes, John Candy is significantly better than Zack Glfarifikghekpias.  No, Steve Martin is not better than Robert Downey Jr. 

My one real complaint was the anticlimactic ending.  It built all that comedic tension and then just fizzled to the end because it was time for the movie to be over. 

Blu-Ray was disappointing because it offered nothing but "Play Movie" and "Set Up"  No commentaries, no bloopers, no deleted scenes, no alternate endings, no nude shots of Michelle M.

I thought it was a funny movie that hit more than it missed. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #515 on: March 28, 2011, 02:36:04 AM »
A Time to Kill
It's the middle of the night.  I can't sleep. This movie is on TNT.  It's an outstanding film, the To Kill a Mockingbird of this generation.

John Grisham's books are barely eighth grade level.  They're fast-food literature. He tells essentially the same story every single time, he just changes a few of the names.  I read his books and it's never taken me less than a day to chew through any of them.

Of all his books, A Time to Kill was easily the best.  After its success, it seems to me that Grisham got lazy. It happens to the best.  Stephen King has also fallen prey to the lazy gene.  Instead of breaking new ground like he did with Salem's Lot and The Stand (a fantastic book) he churns out formulaic potboilers with little to no imagination.

Where many of King's novels have not translated well to the screen (curiously his short stories -- Green Mile, Stand By Me, Shawshank -- have been much more successful), Grisham's books do adapt well.

The film version of A Time to Kill is even better than the book.  Far better, in fact. It's exceedingly well done. So many outstanding performances:  Matthew McBongo, Samuel L, Donald Sutherland, Kevin Spacey, Sandra Bullock, Keifer, Ashley Judd and more. 

Ridiculous that this movie wasn't nominated for an Academy Award and the shitty pile of gnu excrement The English Patient won that year. 

Bullock was so much more amazingly hotter 15 years ago.  So was sweaty Judd. 

Hate the characterization of Mississippi as a Klan haven.  I haven't seen that many klansmen in one place since I witnessed a march in the early 70s. 

Still a very good movie and a story well told. 

Side note:  A girl I knew in high school was an extra during the riot scene. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #516 on: March 28, 2011, 08:34:08 AM »
A Time to Kill
It's the middle of the night.  I can't sleep. This movie is on TNT.  It's an outstanding film, the To Kill a Mockingbird of this generation.

John Grisham's books are barely eighth grade level.  They're fast-food literature. He tells essentially the same story every single time, he just changes a few of the names.  I read his books and it's never taken me less than a day to chew through any of them.

Of all his books, A Time to Kill was easily the best.  After its success, it seems to me that Grisham got lazy. It happens to the best.  Stephen King has also fallen prey to the lazy gene.  Instead of breaking new ground like he did with Salem's Lot and The Stand (a fantastic book) he churns out formulaic potboilers with little to no imagination.

Where many of King's novels have not translated well to the screen (curiously his short stories -- Green Mile, Stand By Me, Shawshank -- have been much more successful), Grisham's books do adapt well.

The film version of A Time to Kill is even better than the book.  Far better, in fact. It's exceedingly well done. So many outstanding performances:  Matthew McBongo, Samuel L, Donald Sutherland, Kevin Spacey, Sandra Bullock, Keifer, Ashley Judd and more. 

Ridiculous that this movie wasn't nominated for an Academy Award and the shitty pile of gnu excrement The English Patient won that year. 

Bullock was so much more amazingly hotter 15 years ago.  So was sweaty Judd. 

Hate the characterization of Mississippi as a Klan haven.  I haven't seen that many klansmen in one place since I witnessed a march in the early 70s. 

Still a very good movie and a story well told. 

Side note:  A girl I knew in high school was an extra during the riot scene.

I watched it last night also, for about the elevententh time.  As I am want to do with movies I like and have seen many times, I start watching for the literary meanings and commentary.

I agree, good flick.  Like so many other movies, one can, if they're not paying close attention, get the wrong impression, and think it's a liberal commentary on the death penalty or race.  However, the death penalty issue is merely, and I don't think Grisham is good enough to give any real credible political commentary on either, and I'm not sure he'd care enough to anyway.  However, it was a great snapshot,  (as opposed to commentary) that included the yin and the yang, of race, and race relations as a southern writer like Grisham could do, and not terribly fucked up by Hollywooed; a snapshot that just happened to take place within the context of a good story like that set in the south.  A strong commentary would have fucked it up. 

McConaughey...I like him, and most things he's done that I've seen.  Just saw "The Lincoln Lawyer" and I recommend it.  He's not a great actor, and brings pretty much the same things to every character, but he's likable and believable.  Thankfully this TX born actor doesn't have to manufacture a bad southern accent and can get by on a generic accent of his own.

I don't think I've ever seen Samuel L. Jackson when I didn't love him and his role. 

Can't add more than you did on either Judd or Bullock.  Both, I think, could have factored in more to the story than they did.

I like Kevin Spacey, but in all movies set in the south, I get irritated and distracted at the inability to do a believable southern accent.  And his character didn't get developed, and was incidental.

Actually, there wasn't enough time to properly develop all the characters you mentioned that had much potential in this flick, yet, it worked well.   

The jail scene at the end while not Oscar worthy, was a great scene.  The closing argument was perfect, and yet,  "Now, imagine she's white" was the boom goes the dynamite moment that, at least for me, was a completely unexpected twist that was done completely with dialogue, or rather monologue in this case.   

Note to Hollywood, we have air conditioners in the south, we don't all sweat all the time, though Judd does look nice sweaty.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:46:20 AM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #517 on: March 28, 2011, 09:06:50 AM »
McConaughey...I like him, and most things he's done that I've seen.  Just saw "The Lincoln Lawyer" and I recommend it.  He's not a great actor, and brings pretty much the same things to every character, but he's likable and believable.  Thankfully this TX born actor doesn't have to manufacture a bad southern accent and can get by on a generic accent of his own.

My favorite movie he's been in was 2002's Frailty, not counting Dazed and Confused, of course.  If you haven't seen it, it should be added to your netflix queue ASAP.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #518 on: March 28, 2011, 10:34:25 AM »
The wife, after 6 years, talked me into watching this for the first time.

Dirty Dancing

:facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Jumbo

« Reply #519 on: March 28, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
Due Date

This must be a record.  Four movies of the last five I actually liked. 

Fact is I didn't expect to like it at all.  I don't care for Zack Gaffinakalkiginas at all.  I didn't find The Hangover all that funny.  I thought he sucked iguana ass in Dinner for Schmucks (a terrible, terrible movie).   I expcected him to befoul this one, too. 

Not so fast.  I laughed when I was supposed to laugh, and a few times I probably wasn't supposed to. 

Yes it followed basically the same pattern as Planes, Trains and Automobiles.  Yes, PT&A was done better in terms of character development and had the tear-jerking sentimental sap going for it at the end.  Yes, John Candy is significantly better than Zack Glfarifikghekpias.  No, Steve Martin is not better than Robert Downey Jr. 

My one real complaint was the anticlimactic ending.  It built all that comedic tension and then just fizzled to the end because it was time for the movie to be over. 

Blu-Ray was disappointing because it offered nothing but "Play Movie" and "Set Up"  No commentaries, no bloopers, no deleted scenes, no alternate endings, no nude shots of Michelle M.

I thought it was a funny movie that hit more than it missed.
I thought this movie was fucking horrible.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions