Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #440 on: February 24, 2011, 09:36:28 AM »
I liked it and laughed...but Token is dead nutz, I said the same thing.  Still worth a look though IMHO.

and Kaos I agree on the American 100% ...it didn't know what the fuck it was supposed to be.

All I know is I watched Avatar a couple of days ago and never got to see any blue boobies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #441 on: February 24, 2011, 11:02:50 AM »
The American

Should have just named it "The Slow and Shitty" 

What a plodding, boring load of crap.  Brooding piano. Brooding Clooney. Hot Italian prostitute.  Brood. Brood. Brood. Brood.  Never get anywhere.  Never offer even the slightest explanation of who anyone was, what they were doing or what purpose they served. 

Awful. 

If I'd paid to see that in the theaters....

Awful.

The American isn't really an American movie.  It was directed by a dutchman (the damn dutch!) and consisted of mostly Italian actors.  Clooney - for whatever reason - jumped on board in the production phase and also became the main actor.  Perhaps he's shooting for legit actor status instead of cocky, rat-pack-esque pretty boy. 

Anyway, if this had been a foreign film with subtitles, I would have enjoyed it more.  Essentially the movie was analyzing the last job of an assassin who had spent his entire life devoted to his work.  He realized he wanted to fall in love with a woman, but the only women available to him were prostitutes.  I'm assuming the woman he killed in the beginning was also a prostitute. 

The plot did have too many holes.  In fact, the plot turned into more of a hindrance than anything.  But in terms of a character analysis, it was pretty good in my opinion. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #442 on: February 24, 2011, 11:06:18 AM »
It was directed by a dutchman (the damn dutch!)

There's only two things I hate in this world.  People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #443 on: February 24, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
There's only two things I hate in this world.  People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Yeah.

Like people who look down on hookers.

"How 'bout no, you crazy Dutch bastard?"
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:16:58 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #444 on: February 24, 2011, 12:11:24 PM »
I must shay, you look toit. Toit, like a tiger. I can tell by your toit pantsh.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Homer Samford

« Reply #445 on: March 01, 2011, 08:32:36 PM »
Impostor (2002)

Philip K. Dick stories get totally screwed when translated to film and this is no different. The theatrical release is totally worthless because it wasn't supposed to happen. It was a short (like 14 pages) story that was supposed to serve as one of three parts of a sci-fi trilogy. They shot some, then abandoned the idea, leaving the studio to come back in and add in 45 minutes of uselessness to this story.

Here's what's worth watching: if you get a hold of the Director's cut you can see the original 40 minute short film in the bonus features. That's actually a pretty fun ride. As a total movie, this sucks like a Hoover, but the short is worth a look.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #446 on: March 02, 2011, 12:16:00 AM »
Impostor (2002)

Philip K. Dick stories get totally screwed when translated to film and this is no different. The theatrical release is totally worthless because it wasn't supposed to happen. It was a short (like 14 pages) story that was supposed to serve as one of three parts of a sci-fi trilogy. They shot some, then abandoned the idea, leaving the studio to come back in and add in 45 minutes of uselessness to this story.

Here's what's worth watching: if you get a hold of the Director's cut you can see the original 40 minute short film in the bonus features. That's actually a pretty fun ride. As a total movie, this sucks like a Hoover, but the short is worth a look.

Kirbys suck more than Hoovers. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #447 on: March 02, 2011, 02:22:40 AM »
Kirbys suck more than Hoovers.
Blast from the past.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #448 on: March 02, 2011, 06:59:32 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #449 on: March 02, 2011, 09:22:26 AM »
Blast from the past.

It's like showing my ID.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #450 on: March 02, 2011, 10:40:34 AM »
Philip K. Dick stories get totally screwed when translated to film and this is no different.

I tend to agree, but for some reason, I want to see The Adjustment Bureau.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #451 on: March 02, 2011, 11:03:24 AM »
I watched "127 Hours" last night. I thought it was pretty good. I'd recommend it for everyone to give it a try. I also recommend not going your ass out 5+ hours from a town without folks knowing where you're going. The military would recommend you learn the buddy system.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #452 on: March 02, 2011, 12:46:27 PM »
Folks, please read thread title before posting a movie review.    :civic:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:47:38 PM by chinook »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #453 on: March 04, 2011, 11:20:11 PM »
Unthinkable

Stellar cast.  Sort of.  Samuel L. (who has essentially become the black Michael Caine because he's in everything), the dude who played Lucien in Underworld (and David Frost in Frost/Nixon), the chick from The Matrix (and a host of terrible movies) and several minor characters you've seen before.

Basic storyline: Terrorist (the Underworld dude) confesses to setting a bunch of bombs but not where.  It's Samuel's job to torture the fuck out of him until he tells.  The Matrix chick is supposed to sort of mediate or whatever. 

As with so, so many movies for me, the idea is great but the execution is weak.  Sam is good.  The Matrix chick is a frigid robot.  Hate her.   Lucien isn't bad, but who's buying him as a Muslim extremist?  He's a fucking werewolf for Jeeve's sake. 

The interaction at some points is laughable.  "Get him out of there!"  Guns are drawn and pointed every where.  "We need to find the bombs!  Get him back in there NOW!"  More guns drawn and pointed. 

Would like to have seen this if Julia Roberts or maybe Angie Harmon had played the female lead.  Or especially even Emily Procter.

Wasn't bad, but some seriously shitty dialogue, some ridiculously corny setups and some wooden ass acting kept it from reaching its potential.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #454 on: March 06, 2011, 10:03:59 AM »
Ramona and Beezus

You have kids.  You watch what you watch. 

Expected it to be torture.  It wasn't.  Yeah it was predictable.  Yeah, at times it was corny.  But as an "it's okay to be you" tale which is a pretty important message for kids aged 8 - 14 it wasn't really that bad. 

It walked some well-trod ground that tons of kids movies (including the unwatchable Marmaduke) have trod over the years:  Quirky kid searching for identity, dad loses job, family in peril, miraculously tidy "all is well" ending.  But unlike far too many of its contemporaries it didn't stray into schmoozy teen angst romance, it didn't artificially try to turn on the waterworks, and it didn't sink into sappiness. It struck a good balance between goofiness and pathos.  It gave all the characters a little bit to do.

Yes, the timeline was a little odd.  Dad loses job and two days later the bank might take the house?  Yet work on an additional room (and the furnishing of it and another) continues unabated?  But that really didn't detract. 

Selena Gomez has a good screen presence away from the cookie-cutter Disney one-liner smartass role they pigeonhole all of their "stars" into.  The scene where she gets Ramona to come sleep with her when both are scared and concerned over the future of their families rings true and is very sweet. If she picks her roles with care, she is one of the few Disney-philes who could break away and be something away from the Mouse.  Spare me Ashley Tisdale and the loathsome Zack and Cody twins, please. 

I've suffered through a ton of schmaltzy, syrupy, sappy "kids" movies.  This just wasn't that bad.   Not worth watching without a kid (and there are some kid movies that are -- Lion King, for instance) but a decent little film for a dad and daughter to watch together. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #455 on: March 06, 2011, 11:07:31 PM »
Saw The King's Speech and The Fighter today.

The King's Speech was about what I expected. A slow-paced movie about King George VI and his fear of public speaking. Great. The Social Network should have won best picture.

The Fighter, however, was awesome. I definitely recommend it. Christian Bale was phenomenal as Dicky Ecklund. He really transformed himself for the role. They left out Micky Ward's bouts with Arturo Gatti, and instead chose to end the film after he won the Welterweight title in London.

Skip The King's Speech, but don't miss The Fighter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #456 on: March 06, 2011, 11:47:11 PM »
Folks, please read thread title before posting a movie review.    :civic:

Just a reminder.

Thank you...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #457 on: March 06, 2011, 11:53:50 PM »
Just a reminder.

Thank you...
Some of us only have memory up to and at max of a week. Its not our fault that Kaos is way behind.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #458 on: March 07, 2011, 03:19:34 AM »
The Social Network

Very well done movie. 

The pacing was a little uneven because of the bouncing back and forth in time. 

Eisenberg channeling Zuckerberg is a dismal, sad fuck.  Assuming the movie is anywhere close to reality, he's a psychological mess and will likely be miserable regardless of the success or failure of his efforts. 

One casting change I would have made was the CFO.  That guy didn't carry his part IMO.  Eisenberg plays that exact same guy in everything I've seen him in only with varying degrees of misery. 

Not a movie that everybody would care for, but it was good. 

I was primarily disappointed because I was really hoping to get some intel on what the fucking "like" button meant and how to change between profiles, but they never got into that at all. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #459 on: March 09, 2011, 06:01:12 PM »
Kaos, you gotta watch "The Next Three Days" with Russell Crowe. It just came out on DVD and in my opinion its one of the best I have seen in a long time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions