Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #280 on: March 16, 2010, 03:15:09 PM »
Many people will walk out of Observe and Report. Many people will tell their friends how awful a film it is and loathe it. I don’t blame them and totally understand that viewpoint. And, in some ways, that's why I like it. Sometimes comedy should be dangerous. Sometimes comedy should be divisive. Sometimes comedy should piss people off. Not every laugh-fest needs to be delivered to the same widest audience possible funny bone. Observe and Report walks a high-wire of tension and dark, dark humor. Even if you don't think it makes it to the other side, there's something truly remarkable about the attempt.

I like my comedy, with at least a side of funny. The only thing that I thought was remotely humorous was his dealing with the flasher at the end and the mall managers handling of the situation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #281 on: March 16, 2010, 03:25:23 PM »
Better watch out.  Disagreeing with Chad means you're less erudite and unable to logically process.
Brian tends to like broad comedies. Actually, I can't think of another comedy he didn't enjoy.

You though...I'm genuinely curious. Can you name me one comedy that you actually enjoyed?

I'm guessing you'll probably name something slapstickish from the 70's like Airplane and Blazing Saddles, which I love as well, but I'm guessing you dislike more recent films with similar humor because you apply a "good ol' days" filter to the former.

Can you name a single comedy from the past decade that gets the Kaos seal of approval?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #282 on: March 16, 2010, 03:37:34 PM »
Those aren't dark.  Particularly not Pineapple Express.

For dark comedy see:  Very Bad Things. Bad Santa.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #283 on: March 16, 2010, 04:25:08 PM »
Brian tends to like broad comedies. Actually, I can't think of another comedy he didn't enjoy.

You though...I'm genuinely curious. Can you name me one comedy that you actually enjoyed?

I'm guessing you'll probably name something slapstickish from the 70's like Airplane and Blazing Saddles, which I love as well, but I'm guessing you dislike more recent films with similar humor because you apply a "good ol' days" filter to the former.

Can you name a single comedy from the past decade that gets the Kaos seal of approval?

Past decade...  

Well, Raising Arizona is one of the classics.  What decade is that from?  (I liked Airplane, hated Blazing Saddles).  

Office Space.  What decade was that from?
I found Naopleon Dynamite sad and amusing.
Dazed and Confused (again, what decade?)
Tropic Thunder was elevated by Robert Downey Jr.'s performance.
Animal House/Ghostbusters/Trading Places/Caddyshack -- that was like 30 years ago?
I liked Little Miss Sunshine, but it was still somewhat lacking.
O Brother Where Art Thou had some quality, particularly in Clooney's self-deprecating performance.
Thought Timothy Olyphant was good in The Girl Next Door.

Funny is not, at least in my opinion, predicated on how many times you can show your ass in baggy underwear or say the word fuck. Comedy isn't derived from crudity.  I like comedy that's got intelligence.  It's hard to tell a good joke or make people laugh with wit.  It's easy to fart and get people to laugh.  I don't like farters.  I do think farts are funny, but a constant stream of farts just begins to smell.  That's all most new comedies have.  

The crop of SNL veterans since Ackroyd, Chase, Murray, Murphy, etc.  -- Rob Schneider, David Spade, Adam Sandler, Ferrel etc. -- suck and suck hard.  Sandler is singluarly untalented although he did have one decent film.  Same for Ferrell. One good film (Elf).  They pander to the lowest common denominator because they know a nation of Beavis and Buttheads will flock to their fart and fuck fests on the opening weekend and make them money.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #284 on: March 16, 2010, 04:52:18 PM »
Observe and Report was fucking awful
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #285 on: March 16, 2010, 05:14:33 PM »
Past decade...  

Well, Raising Arizona is one of the classics.  What decade is that from?  (I liked Airplane, hated Blazing Saddles).  

Office Space.  What decade was that from?
I found Naopleon Dynamite sad and amusing.
Dazed and Confused (again, what decade?)
Tropic Thunder was elevated by Robert Downey Jr.'s performance.
Animal House/Ghostbusters/Trading Places/Caddyshack -- that was like 30 years ago?
I liked Little Miss Sunshine, but it was still somewhat lacking.
O Brother Where Art Thou had some quality, particularly in Clooney's self-deprecating performance.
Thought Timothy Olyphant was good in The Girl Next Door.

Funny is not, at least in my opinion, predicated on how many times you can show your ass in baggy underwear or say the word fuck. Comedy isn't derived from crudity.  I like comedy that's got intelligence.  It's hard to tell a good joke or make people laugh with wit.  It's easy to fart and get people to laugh.  I don't like farters.  I do think farts are funny, but a constant stream of farts just begins to smell.  That's all most new comedies have.  

The crop of SNL veterans since Ackroyd, Chase, Murray, Murphy, etc.  -- Rob Schneider, David Spade, Adam Sandler, Ferrel etc. -- suck and suck hard.  Sandler is singluarly untalented although he did have one decent film.  Same for Ferrell. One good film (Elf).  They pander to the lowest common denominator because they know a nation of Beavis and Buttheads will flock to their fart and fuck fests on the opening weekend and make them money.  

So of the past decade (read: this century), you enjoyed one comedy for being sad & amusing, two (very broad comedies) for one actor's performance per film (Tropic Thunder was particularly overrated, IMO), and another that you found "still lacking". I'll be generous and count the one you found had "some quality", although it was released just barely over a decade ago.

So in your estimation there has been one tolerable comedy film released every other year over the past decade.

No good ones.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #286 on: March 16, 2010, 05:29:30 PM »
So of the past decade (read: this century), you enjoyed one comedy for being sad & amusing, two (very broad comedies) for one actor's performance per film (Tropic Thunder was particularly overrated, IMO), and another that you found "still lacking". I'll be generous and count the one you found had "some quality", although it was released just barely over a decade ago.

So in your estimation there has been one tolerable comedy film released every other year over the past decade.

No good ones.

I was going off the top of my head.  I don't know.  I don't have a list of all comedy movies released in the last decade sitting next to my computer.

Comedy is definitely hard.  The number of awful attempts always outnumbers the good.  Comedy is also more subjective than other forms.  What's funny to you is (clearly) not funny to me.  Or to anybody else.  What's funny to me probably won't resonate with you. Or anybody else.

Tropic Thunder WAS stupid and lame, but Downey's performance overcame the dreadful, awful, pathetic, ridiculous, craptastic effort of the massively untalented Ben Stiller and the equally inane non-addition of the hugely overrated and unfunny Jack Black. 

If you want to list movies, I'll tell you which ones I thought were good. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Jumbo

« Reply #287 on: March 16, 2010, 06:05:55 PM »
Jack Black's role in Tropical Thunder was hard to watch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #288 on: March 16, 2010, 09:52:15 PM »
I was going off the top of my head.  I don't know.  I don't have a list of all comedy movies released in the last decade sitting next to my computer.

Comedy is definitely hard.  The number of awful attempts always outnumbers the good.  Comedy is also more subjective than other forms.  What's funny to you is (clearly) not funny to me.  Or to anybody else.  What's funny to me probably won't resonate with you. Or anybody else.

Tropic Thunder WAS stupid and lame, but Downey's performance overcame the dreadful, awful, pathetic, ridiculous, craptastic effort of the massively untalented Ben Stiller and the equally inane non-addition of the hugely overrated and unfunny Jack Black. 

If you want to list movies, I'll tell you which ones I thought were good. 

I don't believe the movie Dumb and Dumber is subjective.  It is objectively funny.  If you disagree, kill yourself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #289 on: March 16, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Jack Black's role in Tropical Thunder was hard to watch.

But not as bad as his last line in King Kong.  Most awkward movie line of all time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #290 on: March 17, 2010, 12:09:16 AM »
But not as bad as his last line in King Kong.  Most awkward movie line of all time.
I never watched King Kong because he was in it. Be kind Rewind could be the worst movie ever made.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #291 on: March 17, 2010, 01:12:06 AM »
I never watched King Kong because he was in it. Be kind Rewind could be the worst movie ever made.

my favorite jack black movie...the jackal.  the jackal (bruce willis) brutally ends his life.  cheers.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:12:53 AM by chinook »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #292 on: March 17, 2010, 04:40:16 AM »
my favorite jack black movie...the jackal.  the jackal (bruce willis) brutally ends his life.  cheers.
:clap:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #293 on: March 17, 2010, 09:50:17 AM »

Not a bad little flick.  It's strange in a Tim Burton kind of way.  The plot is that after a long war with machines (More Matrix-like than Terminator), a small group of animatronic dolls try to survive in a world devoid of humans.  The visual effects are phenomenal and worth the price of the rental.  Also, it's only an hour and fifteen minutes, so if you need a quick movie to enjoy, this would be a good choice. 

My only beef with the movie is that the ending (don't want to give any spoilers away) is lackluster and has too many holes. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #294 on: March 17, 2010, 10:15:33 AM »
2nd worst I still contend that What's Eating Gilbert Grape is the worst movie of all time. 

BTW in solid 3rd place is Caddyshack 2
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #295 on: March 17, 2010, 10:28:53 AM »
2nd worst I still contend that What's Eating Gilbert Grape is the worst movie of all time. 

Is it wrong that I liked Gilbert Grape as well?

Also, I generally like Jack Black. The only times he doesn't work for me are generic broad comedies i.e. Shallow Hal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #296 on: March 17, 2010, 10:35:15 AM »
Is it wrong that I liked Gilbert Grape as well?

Also, I generally like Jack Black. The only times he doesn't work for me are generic broad comedies i.e. Shallow Hal.
It's like I don't even know who you are anymore.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Jumbo

« Reply #297 on: March 17, 2010, 12:35:36 PM »

BTW in solid 3rd place is Caddyshack 2
Quit dragging my heart around.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #298 on: March 18, 2010, 02:30:07 AM »
The Crazies is worth a rent when it comes out on Blu-Ray. It's more of a thriller than horror movie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2010, 11:43:22 AM »
The Crazies is worth a rent when it comes out on Blu-Ray. It's more of a thriller than horror movie.

Agreed.  If it's still in a theater near you, it's even worth the price of admission.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.