Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #240 on: March 07, 2010, 08:37:33 AM »
Alice in Wonderland

Holy hell, what a terrible movie.  I went into this with low expectations as I knew this was just being made for blockbuster money, but this was simply awful.  The story was uneventful.  The plot was rushed.  Besides Johnny Depp's typical quirkiness, the acting was stilted.  What kind of a 17 year old girl enters a realm of evaporating cats, rabbits that talk, a queen with a gigantic head who cuts off other people's heads, and walking cards with spears and doesn't ONCE show any signs of being afraid, surprised, or nervous? 

Oh wait (spoiler alert), she thinks it's a dream until the very end when she realizes it's not a dream.  She keeps saying she wants to wake up.  She hates the dream.  Yet, she keeps going along with the nonsense.  I kept waiting for her to jump off a cliff and attempt to fly, since, she continually reminded me she was only in a dream. 

Also, the ending is completely worthless.  I won't, um I guess, spoil it for you, but trust me when I say that the end to Alice in Wonderland involves a business deal with China. 

And the talent level is sub par.  Anne Hathaway is the only attractive girl in the movie, but she flings her hands around like a child with severe mental retardation (not trying to be mean or funny; that's just how she looked).  Also, she was caked with dark colored make up.  Looked like someone smeared poo all over her. 

Zero stars out of ten. 

Inglourious Basterds

I know most have already seen this movie, but I just saw it and thought it was great.  Not Tarentino's best.  But it was entertaining and had a good story. 

Also, I'm in love:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #241 on: March 07, 2010, 10:37:49 PM »
Defiance

Jews survive in the woods.  Ok.  It's a good story, but -- no offense to the Jews -- how many more Jews suffered during WWII movies can there really be? 

The only thing that sets this apart is that it was a somewhat true story. 

Reasonably well acted if maybe a little over-emoted.  And a little long.  And a little lacking in the wrapup. 

Just meh overall. 

State of Play

Ben Affleck is a super powerful Senator?  Russell Crowe is a schlumpy, stringy-haired reporter? Rachel McAdams -- who is cute, but a complete acting lightweight -- is interested somewhat in Crowe? 

Just a waste.  It wasn't offensive, but it just didn't reach anywhere.  It was the film equivalent of lukewarm tapioca. 

Boo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #242 on: March 08, 2010, 10:47:12 AM »
Alice in Wonderland

Holy hell, what a terrible movie.  I went into this with low expectations as I knew this was just being made for blockbuster money, but this was simply awful.  The story was uneventful.  The plot was rushed.  Besides Johnny Depp's typical quirkiness, the acting was stilted.  What kind of a 17 year old girl enters a realm of evaporating cats, rabbits that talk, a queen with a gigantic head who cuts off other people's heads, and walking cards with spears and doesn't ONCE show any signs of being afraid, surprised, or nervous? 

Oh wait (spoiler alert), she thinks it's a dream until the very end when she realizes it's not a dream.  She keeps saying she wants to wake up.  She hates the dream.  Yet, she keeps going along with the nonsense.  I kept waiting for her to jump off a cliff and attempt to fly, since, she continually reminded me she was only in a dream. 

Also, the ending is completely worthless.  I won't, um I guess, spoil it for you, but trust me when I say that the end to Alice in Wonderland involves a business deal with China. 

And the talent level is sub par.  Anne Hathaway is the only attractive girl in the movie, but she flings her hands around like a child with severe mental retardation (not trying to be mean or funny; that's just how she looked).  Also, she was caked with dark colored make up.  Looked like someone smeared poo all over her. 

Zero stars out of ten. 

My wife and I thought about seeing this the other night, but had heard that either you love it or hate it. Alot of folks said pretty much the same as you. We decided to see Shutter Island instead, which was a great movie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #243 on: March 08, 2010, 11:13:11 AM »
Oscars said Hurt Locker was a great movie. 

I wasn't moved.  I really think the accolades for the film are more for the subtle way it made the US look overwhelmed and incompetent in a war that's essentially unwinnable (in Hollywood estimation, because as one of our own on this board once said, 'violence is never the answer')  than they are for the fact that the movie was really that good.  The Oscar glory was as much about agenda as it was about film. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #244 on: March 08, 2010, 05:42:27 PM »
My wife and I thought about seeing this the other night, but had heard that either you love it or hate it. Alot of folks said pretty much the same as you.

I love Burton, Depp and Carter.  I will be seeing this.

I don't use K's movie reviews for much but entertainment value.  Our tastes are very different.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Aubie16

« Reply #245 on: March 08, 2010, 05:59:06 PM »

I don't use K's movie reviews for much but entertainment value.  Our tastes are very different.

Just an fyi...that was townhall's review.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

« Reply #246 on: March 08, 2010, 07:49:30 PM »
I love Burton, Depp and Carter.  I will be seeing this.

I love them all as well. 

Depp and Carter I can forgive.  Carter seemed to be directed to be like the villain in a kid's movie.  Depp saved the show.

Burton?  The man rushed the script and spent more time evaluating the CGI instead of evaluating the lead role's acting.  That was the main problem.  Alice sucked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #247 on: March 09, 2010, 10:32:59 AM »
Just an fyi...that was townhall's review.

Ah...my mistake.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #248 on: March 09, 2010, 01:12:46 PM »
I love them all as well. 

Depp and Carter I can forgive.  Carter seemed to be directed to be like the villain in a kid's movie.  Depp saved the show.

Burton?  The man rushed the script and spent more time evaluating the CGI instead of evaluating the lead role's acting.  That was the main problem.  Alice sucked.

It's X-rated?  :gig:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #249 on: March 09, 2010, 01:45:02 PM »
It's X-rated?  :gig:

No...that would be this version...which I do have a copy of.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #250 on: March 09, 2010, 01:52:26 PM »
Screw ya'll.  This is all you need.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #251 on: March 09, 2010, 02:26:40 PM »

Kristine De Bell. Yummy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #252 on: March 09, 2010, 10:08:30 PM »

I imagine it sits right next to your copy of Deep Throat? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #253 on: March 09, 2010, 10:11:18 PM »
I imagine it sits right next to your copy of Deep Throat Debbie Does Dallas? 
FTFY Why yes it does.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #254 on: March 09, 2010, 10:12:34 PM »
FTFY Why yes it does.

I actually had that initially.  FML
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #255 on: March 16, 2010, 11:26:43 AM »
I love them all as well. 

Wow, I'm here to say that I was wrong.  Awful movie.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much Disney and not nearly enough Burton.  Carter was great.  Depp was uncharacteristically unimpressive. 

I would like to see Burton take a mulligan on this one without being handcuffed by the fucking mouse.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #256 on: March 16, 2010, 12:10:34 PM »
The Hurt Locker

Gotta disagree with our resident Ebert here.  While not what I would typically think the Academy would pick as Movie of the year. Frankly, because I usually have no interest in the Movie of the Year.  I thought hurt locker told a great story, and something that does probably ring true with some of our younger service men and women.  That being the adrenaline from battle and then the subsequent return home to the mundane existence.  I really didn't notice any anti war propaganda from our usually liberal Hollywood.  I recommend!

Did you Hear about the Morgans

Ok first off chick flick...which I knew going in, but sometimes you gotta bite the bullet.  I actually usually like the bumbling comedic routine of Hugh Grant who pretty much plays the same character in every romantic comedy, however this one was atrocious.  Sarah Jessica Parker....blah or should I say naaaaaah.  Premise...The Morgans a separated couple, due to Grant's infidelity, are very successful New Yorkers.  When they both witness a murder they must be put in protective custody in Ray, Wyoming (a one stoplight town).  Hilarity ensues or actually it doesn't, im sure you can pretty much figure the plot out from here.   Their custody Marshall's played by Sam Elliot (oh Sam WTF are you doing in this turd) and Mary Steenburgen along twith the town help the Marshall's to reconcile while in protective custody.
The only bright spot in this entire movie is Wilford Brimley who plays a grumpy redneck cafe owner.  Avoid!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:18:33 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

« Reply #257 on: March 16, 2010, 12:24:23 PM »
The Hurt Locker

Gotta disagree with our resident Ebert here.  While not what I would typically think the Academy would pick as Movie of the year. Frankly, because I usually have no interest in the Movie of the Year.  I thought hurt locker told a great story, and something that does probably ring true with some of our younger service men and women.  That being the adrenaline from battle and then the subsequent return home to the mundane existence.  I really didn't notice any anti war propaganda from our usually liberal Hollywood.  I recommend!

Agreed.

Did you Hear about the Morgans

Ok first off chick flick...which I knew going in, but sometimes you gotta bite the bullet.  I actually usually like the bumbling comedic routine of Hugh Grant who pretty much plays the same character in every romantic comedy, however this one was atrocious.  Sarah Jessica Parker....blah or should I say naaaaaah.  Premise...The Morgans a separated couple, due to Grant's infidelity, are very successful New Yorkers.  When they both witness a murder they must be put in protective custody in Ray, Wyoming (a one stoplight town).  Hilarity ensues or actually it doesn't, im sure you can pretty much figure the plot out from here.   Their custody Marshall's played by Sam Elliot (oh Sam WTF are you doing in this turd) and Mary Steenburgen along twith the town help the Marshall's to reconcile while in protective custody.
The only bright spot in this entire movie is Wilford Brimley who plays a grumpy redneck cafe owner.  Avoid!

You're officially a pussy.  You like Hugh Grant?  I fucking loooooooooooooathe that asshole.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #258 on: March 16, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
You're officially a pussy.  You like Hugh Grant?  I fucking loooooooooooooathe that asshole.

Says the guy who went to see Where the Wild Things Are on opening night.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #259 on: March 16, 2010, 12:39:52 PM »

You mean, you don't, you know, well, jolly me, by, you, what I mean, oh what was I saying, oh yes, the question, quite right, yes, um, you don't, like the way, he, the actor, uh, um, Hugh Grant, like the way, he, um, studders, um, throughout, a, uh, film?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions