Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2009, 12:05:42 PM »
K..2 that you need to see, if you have not...Inglorious Bastards and Burn After Reading.

Burn after reading, yes.  IB not yet.

Nothing But the Truth

Is there really any way to fuck up a movie with Kate Beckinsale in a primary role?  Adam Sandler says yes.  So, too, do the directors of Nothing But the Truth. 

How do you fuck up a Beckinsale movie?  First show her married to Ross from Friends. As if that nerdy fuck has a shot in hell.  Then show a sex scene between Kate and nerd-fuck Ross that shows only him on top grunting like a monkey.  Then show Beckinsale in a dreary jail for most of the movie with no makeup and harsh lighting. 

Slow, plodding plot.  Big cast including Alan Alda, Matt Dillon as a cutthroat federal prosecutor (chuckle at his shitty performance) and the nerd dude from ER as a pissed off attorney (another chuckle-worthy performance). 

I didn't even want to fuck Beckinsale after this bore-fest.  What an awful pile of dreck.

and...

Surveillance
Bill Pullman, Julia Ormand and the freaky alien from that John Lithgow TV show.  Fuck, John Lithgow, by the way.  I hate him. 

This movie had a great concept and could have easily been a creepy super win at the box office.  Fantastic premise. 

But the execution was so abysmally poor, it absolutely REEKED. 

Pullman, whom I usually like, was just god awful.  He failed on every level to bring authenticity to his role. 

I won't give away the ending since some of you may decide to use this movie as torture should you ever catch some terrorists. 

Nothing aggravates me more than a good premise that fails to deliver.  This ramps fail up to a whole new level.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2009, 12:11:03 PM »
I have never heard of either of those.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2009, 01:05:19 PM »
K..2 that you need to see, if you have not...Inglorious Bastards and Burn After Reading.
Bastards was a great movie, be prepared to read for 3 hours.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2009, 01:12:24 PM »
Bastards was a great movie, be prepared to read for 3 hours.

Could have been 1.5 hours in lieu of 3
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Jumbo

« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2009, 01:17:04 PM »
Could have been 1.5 hours in lieu of 3
They made every scene dragggg except the end.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2009, 10:52:37 PM »
Went to see Sherlock Holmes but it was sold out. Opted for "Armored" with Matt Dillon and Lawrence Fishburne.  3.5 out of 10.  Plot is an armored car heist attempt through an inside job. Action packed in the second half but VERY predictable.  Dillon and Fishburne play the bad guy role pretty good but overall, it's barely a rental.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2009, 11:10:06 PM »
Just saw Avatar. 

My review -

Visually, it's the greatest movie of all time.  Nothing comes close to the highly detailed, imaginative CGI that went into this film.  It really was remarkable.

Actual movie?  Meh.  I've seen it before.  I usually write off the critics that attempt to call out action flicks with political propaganda.  However, this film was pretty heavy on the "America attacks the innocent" theme. 

Decent movie.  Worth paying to see it in the theaters just to see how pretty it is. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2009, 12:17:49 PM »
I just saw it in IMAX 3-D.

I've never seen an IMAX movie before, but seeing that movie that way was freaking amazing.

I highly recommend seeing it this way if you can.

I agree about the playing up America attacking the innocent theme. I was rolling my eyes at a couple of poorly disguised parallells they were trying to draw.

In the same night I saw another movie of note: The Box.

It's Richard Kelley (Donnie Darko) so expect weirdness to the point of confusion.

This was a 70's period piece and it really felt like I was watching a movie from that time. It felt like The Shining with a little bit of Creepshow thrown in for good measure, but with better special effects. Very Stanley Kubrick-esque.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2009, 12:56:44 PM »

I agree about the playing up America attacking the innocent theme. I was rolling my eyes at a couple of poorly disguised parallells they were trying to draw.

You mean these quotes:

"It'll be a shock and awe campaign"
Numerous marines shouting "GET YOU SOME!" 
"It just so happens that those primitive people are sitting on top of a gold mine that we want"

and also the multiple tribal tattoos. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2009, 01:07:22 PM »
You mean these quotes:

"It'll be a shock and awe campaign"
Numerous marines shouting "GET YOU SOME!" 
"It just so happens that those primitive people are sitting on top of a gold mine that we want"

and also the multiple tribal tattoos. 

The tongue-trill scream that the natives did was only missing a few AK-47 rounds blasted into the sky to complete the Arab stereotype.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2009, 01:23:05 PM »
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans

Not a sequel, but a prequel.  Explained the genesis of the war between vampires and werewolves.  No Kate Beckinsale, which was disappointing but Rhona Mitra filled in admirably.  (See below)

The movie wasn't as good as Underworld but wasn't as sprawlingly bad as Underworld: Evolution.  If Underworld never existed, this movie would have done well as a stand-alone.  Because Underworld did exist, however, it suffers from the inevitable comparisons.  It wasn't as gruesome or gory as either of the other two movies and it actually had a much more coherent storyline than either of the other two.

It was a decent movie, but nothing really to elevate it from the routine.  It told a story those who watched Underworld really already knew, but added a little detail here and there.  I'd watch it again.

The guy playing Victor (who also plays Squidward or whatever in the last two Pirates of the Caribbean movies) really grates on me with his funky accent.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:28:48 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2009, 06:25:18 PM »
The tongue-trill scream that the natives did was only missing a few AK-47 rounds blasted into the sky to complete the Arab stereotype.
Don't forget the General referring to the tribes defending themselves as acts of terror that must be combatted with terror by means of a preemptive strike. :taunt:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2009, 11:09:50 PM »
Sherlock Holmes

Robert Downey Jr.  is pretty amazing.  Perfect marriage of character and actor. 

A very entertaining movie.  Bit of a muddled plot, but really well done overall.  I'd see it again.  And will.   

I wouldn't say run to the theaters to see it, but I'm glad I didn't wait for the DVD.   I go to the theater to be entertained and I totally was. 

Downey might have supplanted Johnny Depp as my favorite actor. He's not as pretty, but he's just as clever.  Ironman, Tropic Thunder and this?  The guy is superb.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2009, 12:25:34 AM »

Downey might have supplanted Johnny Depp as my favorite actor. He's not as pretty, but he's just as clever.  Ironman, Tropic Thunder and this?  The guy is superb.

Agreed. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2009, 10:34:22 AM »
Sherlock Holmes

Robert Downey Jr.  is pretty amazing.  Perfect marriage of character and actor.  

A very entertaining movie.  Bit of a muddled plot, but really well done overall.  I'd see it again.  And will.  

I wouldn't say run to the theaters to see it, but I'm glad I didn't wait for the DVD.   I go to the theater to be entertained and I totally was.  

Downey might have supplanted Johnny Depp as my favorite actor. He's not as pretty, but he's just as clever.  Ironman, Tropic Thunder and this?  The guy is superb.
I agree on all of it.  :p
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:34:57 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Token

« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2009, 11:01:01 AM »
Sherlock Holmes

Robert Downey Jr.  is pretty amazing.  Perfect marriage of character and actor. 

A very entertaining movie.  Bit of a muddled plot, but really well done overall.  I'd see it again.  And will.   

I wouldn't say run to the theaters to see it, but I'm glad I didn't wait for the DVD.   I go to the theater to be entertained and I totally was. 

Downey's role in Tropic Thunder was masterful.  Will definitely check it out, but it will be at least 2 weeks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2009, 02:16:11 PM »
Bright Lights, Big City

Don't know how (or if) I missed this during the cocaine 80s, but I stumbled across this movie last night while doing some work and started watching it hoping it had a point. 

Less than Zero (another Downey movie) had a point.  It was a solid portrayal of a binging addict and his obsessions.  It featured then super hot Jami Gertz
  but suffered slightly from trying to force the career of Andrew McCarthy.  Would have been better with Rob Lowe or Keifer or Sheen in the lead. 

This?  Well, it did have Phoebe Cates (see below).  Keifer sort of filled in the role James Spader made so creepily effective in Less Than Zero. 

But Michael J. Fox?  The dude can't act.  He was about as convincing as a coke-addled yuppie as the Geico Lizard would be if he attempted to star as Batman.  I didn't remember just what a lousy actor Fox really was.  I know he's got the disease and all and I know his wife is sort of untalented hot, too, (see below) but he just absolutely fails as an actor except in select roles. Zero believable chemistry with Cates, overwrought drama with mom Diane Weist, just a pitiful sludge of a movie. 

Garbage. 

Maybe I didn't miss it in the 80s.  Maybe I just blocked it from my memory.

Phoebe Cates

Tracy Pollan
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2009, 08:45:58 PM »
Just saw Avatar. 

My review -

Actual movie?  Meh.  I've seen it before.  

It followed every cowboy and indian flick ever made, ceptin the injuns was 10 feet tall and blue.

And did that Sigourney Weaver look hot or what as a Navi'??
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2009, 02:21:23 AM »
It followed every cowboy and indian flick ever made, ceptin the injuns was 10 feet tall and blue.

And did that Sigourney Weaver look hot or what as a Navi'??
Was I the only one turned on by the main indigenous chick?

Is it weird that a CGI 9 foot tall blue alien with a tail, pointy ears, etc. Did it for me?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2009, 04:15:10 AM »
Jennifer's Body is a fucked up movie, Megan Fox looks smokin' hot for some of the movie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions