Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

3 Doors Down and Staind

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
Re: 3 Doors Down and Staind
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 05:20:32 PM »
This whole art/music debate got me thinking about Wes' greatest guitarist thread a while back.  When it comes to art forms..especially music..it's all a matter of taste and what appeals to the individual.  I recall several people putting up their lists of great guitar players and someone had Kurt Cobain on their list.  I looked at that and thought, what the F'n F is that all about?  If you actually play the guitar...I do, along with Wes and several others on the board I'm sure..you know that without a doubt that Kurt GoBang was about as talented a guitar player as my next door neighbor's Black Lab.

His stuff was simplistic, mindless drivel and his "Lead" riffs were nothing more than distorted 4 note repititions.  HOWEVER...while I found 96.8% of their music to be crap, that's strictly my opinion and reflects my taste in music.  I am the first to admit that Nirvana had a huge following in their day and their sound appealed to a whole generation.  They broke a lot of ground for that type of sound/band and paved the way for a lot of grunge bands coming out of Seattle etc. during that time.   

Good point.  I think he was on my list...but not for necessarily being a great guitarist, but for changing the landscape of alternative/grunge sound with what he did on his guitar and with his band.

It would be like saying that Billy Jo of Green Day is a great guitarist.  Doesn't each of their songs only consist of, like, 4 chords?

But in the end, what looks and sounds good is in the eye of the beholder.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 10:03:58 PM »
Nobody puts out a good beginning to end album anymore. Alot of bands put out some good songs here and there. I can listen to Linkin Park's albums usually front to back, and some older stuff. I dunno, I listen to such a wide variety of music its hard to narrow things down. As far as greatest guitarist, I love Carlos Santana. He's a bad motherfucker. He may not be the very best, but he's damn good. I grew up listening to him, Great White, ZZ Top, Guns N' Roses (Sweet Child O' Mine and Paradise City are two of my ringtones), Led Zeppelin, Queen, AC/DC, Sammy Hagar, Van Halen shit like that. I was born in 1983, so its not like I'm a geezer, but thats some pretty good shit to listen to. Now I'm into stuff like Apocalyptica, Hollywood Undead, Seether, Seven Mary Three, Sublime, Ozzy, Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, etc. I still like all the older stuff, just new stuff added into there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 12:33:42 AM »
Nobody puts out a good beginning to end album anymore. Alot of bands put out some good songs here and there. I can listen to Linkin Park's albums usually front to back, and some older stuff. I dunno, I listen to such a wide variety of music its hard to narrow things down. As far as greatest guitarist, I love Carlos Santana. He's a bad motherfucker. He may not be the very best, but he's damn good. I grew up listening to him, Great White, ZZ Top, Guns N' Roses (Sweet Child O' Mine and Paradise City are two of my ringtones), Led Zeppelin, Queen, AC/DC, Sammy Hagar, Van Halen shit like that. I was born in 1983, so its not like I'm a geezer, but thats some pretty good shit to listen to. Now I'm into stuff like Apocalyptica, Hollywood Undead, Seether, Seven Mary Three, Sublime, Ozzy, Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, etc. I still like all the older stuff, just new stuff added into there.
I concur, Carlos Santana is Bad Ass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Thrilla

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 05:10:09 PM »
Haters, Three Doors Down have about 15 good songs and they put on a great concert. Aaron Lewis has an impressive voice live, His acoustic version of Outside was kick ass.

You know, I've heard Aaron Lewis live and you're right...he has a good live voice.  I think his most famous live song everyone has heard is "Outside" with Fred Durst.

But WTF happened to his band and their music?  I mean, they rocked my face off with their first single "Mudshovel"...it was a hard sound, kind of dark, but metal nonetheless.  It had some kick ass guitar sounds and sounded like it was influenced by Korn/Pantera/Deftones/etc.

Then they come out with all this pussified shit, such as "Outside", "It's been awhile", and "Right Here".  It's more of a ballad-ish rock sound, without the metal influences.  They lost me because of this. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 01:28:38 AM »

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 02:16:50 AM »

That bald dude in the middle served me some seafood which led to diarrhea.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 06:16:49 AM »
That bald dude in the middle served me some seafood which led to diarrhea.
The liter of Makers Mark helped me loosen up!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Thrilla

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 10:21:44 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 06:09:52 PM »
The liter of Makers Mark helped me loosen up!
If I remember correctly, Litre is French for give me my fuckin' cola before I break VOUS FUCKIN' LIP!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 07:29:59 AM »
Now if we could get Jumbo to quit drinking that headache in a can.......
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

boartitz

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 07:50:23 AM »
That's the weapon of choice for litterbugs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 10:41:41 AM »
It was only $9.50! What a steal!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.