Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

OA News On The Tiger Prowl

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
OA News On The Tiger Prowl
« on: April 30, 2009, 12:25:17 PM »
http://www.oanow.com/oan/sports/college/article/au_football_tiger_prowl_rolls_through_lee_county/70546/

By Andrew Gribble
Auburn University Beat Reporter
Published: April 30, 2009

When the white stretch Hummer — Auburn flags waving on both sides and a big AU logo on both sides — pulled into Auburn High on Wednesday, Tim Carter didn’t need a mindreader beside him to figure out what was swirling through his players’ heads.

“What they’re actually thinking, I don’t know,” said Carter, Auburn High’s head football coach. “But the kids were definitely buzzing.”

Score one for the Tigers. That’s the point.

The third day of Auburn’s now nationally known recruiting experiment simply known as “Tiger Prowl” rolled into the driveways of high schools across the Lee County area Wednesday. The seven-man team of coaches, all of whom dressed alike in Carolina blue Bahama shirts and black pants, stopped by Smiths Station and Central before cruising into Opelika and Auburn in the late morning.

“I think they’re making an effort to really make a strong impression in-state,” Carter said. “Maybe they’re trying to put everyone on notice that Auburn is here and here to make some noise.”

Though the five-day trip has been confined within the state’s borders, the noise it’s stirred up has permeated in all four time zones.

Even during the midst of NHL and NBA playoffs, the topic was debated during a full segment of ESPN’S Around the Horn on Wednesday.

While opinion remained mixed among national pundits, the positivity it elicited around Lee County was unanimous.

“Hey, if it draws attention in a way and gets people talking, I think it’s worthwhile,” Carter said. “It’s within the rules and it shows innovation. I like it, and as an Auburn fan I like it.”

NCAA rules permit schools to send out seven coaches to high schools during a six-week interval known as the spring evaluation period. The coaches can be on the road for just four weeks during the period and head coaches are not permitted to be on the trips. During the visits, college coaches and players are not permitted to have any interaction beyond a simple “hello.”

The standard protocol is for the seven coaches to go their separate ways in hopes of maximizing their opportunities to evaluate prospective talent.

But this isn’t your standard group of recruiters.

“We want to concentrate all of our energy in one area at a time,” running backs coach/recruiting coordinator Curtis Luper told AuburnSports.com.

And that area is the home state — a place Auburn hasn’t done much with over the past few years.

Since Nick Saban took over at Alabama in 2007, the majority of in-state talent has sided with the Crimson Tide.

Of Auburn’s 14 in-state recruits in the class of 2009, only one, Brewton defensive tackle Jamar Travis, was rated a four-star or better, according to Rivals.com. Of the Rivals’ top 10 Alabama recruits of ‘09, Auburn signed none and Alabama locked up eight.

“You got to have a starting point and a home base and this state will be it,” head coach Gene Chizik said recently. “And then after that, we’ll move outside the state. We got to make sure we capture what we need to capture in this state.”

Luper said he will assign two coaches to the South, two to the North, one each in greater Birmingham, Huntsville and Montgomery and one in the Lee County region, which includes Columbus and LaGrange, Ga.

Under Tommy Tuberville, Auburn typically had about four coaches assigned to the home state.

“I think they have a purpose behind it in that they want the schools in Alabama to know that Alabama is going to be the top priority for them,” Carter said. “I don’t know if they lost that focus over the last couple years, but I do know that this staff is making a really good effort locally, and that’s exciting to our kids.”

The focus on Lee County appeared almost immediately.

Within months of Chizik and his staff taking control, Auburn locked up Auburn High offensive lineman John Sullen. According to a number of scouting service Web Sites, the Tigers are hard after Opelika’s Corey Grant for their 2010 recruiting class.

“We’ve had a lot of kids go to other places and be successful,” Carter said. “We’re just glad that they’re evaluating our kids and giving them a shot.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: OA News On The Tiger Prowl
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 12:28:29 PM »
One from the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer:
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/story/704384.html

Auburn Tigers’ eyes on football recruits

Chizik tries out high-profile look with Alabama coaches, players
By Andy Bitter - abitter@ledger-enquirer.com --

AUBURN, Ala. — Subtlety wasn’t a high priority for the Auburn football team’s coaching staff when it rolled through Phenix City and Smiths Station in a white, stretch Hummer covered in Tigers decals and flags Wednesday afternoon, part of a statewide “Tiger Prowl” to raise the school’s recruiting profile within Alabama.

But that was the point.

“Everybody saw them coming,” Central coach Ron Nelson said. “You knew where they were coming from.”

Seven Tigers assistants, including offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn and defensive coordinator Ted Roof, went along for the ride, visiting Central and Smiths Station high schools in the morning before trips to the Auburn/Opelika area and Montgomery.

It’s the third day of the “Tiger Prowl,” a goodwill tour aimed at introducing Auburn’s new coaching staff to many of the state’s high school coaches during spring evaluation while getting the attention of high-profile recruits.

“I think they know that they’ve got to get some players from the state of Alabama,” said Nelson, a 29-year coaching veteran who admitted he hadn’t seen a tactic quite like this before. “And I think that’s one of the big things they’re doing to make their presence known and to let people know that Auburn will recruit you.”

The Tigers have slipped in recruiting the state of Alabama since Nick Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa. The Crimson Tide grabbed eight of the state’s top-10 recruits last season, according to rankings on Rivals.com. In 2008, it got seven of the top 10.

Auburn hasn’t signed a top-10 recruit from Alabama in either of the last two years.

“It’s real simple. You start in this state first and then you work your way out,” Auburn head coach Gene Chizik said in January. “We’ve got to saturate this state and we’ve got to do a great job of recruiting in this state. That’s the No. 1 priority.”

Auburn will use the spring evaluation period, which runs from April 15 to May 31, to make inroads in that department. While the head coach can’t make any trips, schools are allowed to have seven assistant coaches on the road during that time frame.

Normally a program will spread them out in different locations during what is ostensibly a fact-finding trip to meet coaches and gather information about recruits without being able to talk to them, per NCAA rules. But Auburn’s approach has been to saturate one spot with the maximum number of assistants allowed, something that’s been well-received by the high school coaches they’ve visited.

“A lot of times you come in to recruit and you meet one guy that recruits your area and you don’t know the other guys,” Nelson said. “We sat down for about an hour today, we had a chance to meet all seven of these guys and build a relationship with them. When I call, they’ll know who I am and vice versa.”

The group that visited Central and Smiths Station on Wednesday morning included Malzahn, Roof, wide receivers coach Trooper Taylor, running backs coach/recruiting coordinator Curtis Luper, defensive line coach Tracy Rocker, safeties coach Tommy Thigpen and cornerbacks coach Phillip Lolley.

“I know they don’t go everywhere, so it’s a privilege to have them come by,” said Smiths Station coach Mark Rose, a four-year letterman at Auburn for Pat Dye in the mid-’80s who was a college teammate with Rocker.

While the coaches aren’t allowed to talk to any potential recruits, they have certainly made themselves visible. If the stretch Hummer wasn’t enough to draw attention, the assistants arrived at Central during a break in classes. The coaches were a highly recognizable group while walking through the hallways.

Said Nelson: “The buzz from that standpoint is there.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions