AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Prepare For Tiger Prowl Immitations...
« on: April 29, 2009, 01:35:06 PM »
Hot Corner: Auburn could trigger limo race
Posted by Ray Melick -- Birmingham News April 29, 2009 8:38 AM
Categories: Auburn Football

The Auburn coaches are serious about recruiting in this state.

We know that because they are touring Alabama in an apparent series of stretch limos -- a Cadillac on Monday, a Hummer on Tuesday.
AuburnSports.com

Auburn coaches have made a splash with their new mode of transportation.

Why? For attention.

And it's worked. Not only does it get new head coach Gene Chizik and his staff attention at every school they visit -- because who can resist the urge to look who's behind the tinted glass windows of a limo? -- but it has gotten the attention of media outlets not just in Alabama, but across the country.

Everyone is talking about Auburn's limo tour, with every media outlet trying to get a picture, which means that for every school the Auburn limo actually visits, the staff is being seen by who knows how many more schools.

If kids actually signed with schools because of their reputation, then coaches wouldn't need to recruit. They could just sit back and sift through the applications.

Since the best young athletes don't make decisions that way, coaches have to figure out how to get their attention. The limo tour is a good one.

Even better, it ups the ante on rival coaches. They can't use the limo trick, because kids will say they've already seen it. So what's next? An 18-wheeler with the coaching staff's pictures painted on the side? Coaches arriving at a school on customized Harleys, like a motorcycle gang? Helicopters?

All it takes is one rival coach to believe Auburn's stunt worked to spawn the next level of imitation.

Get ready. The circus could be coming to your high school very soon.
Even Ray Melick thinks it was a genius move...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
Re: Prepare For Tiger Prowl Immitations...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 01:39:14 PM »
If other schools start doing it, I will laugh at them too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 01:52:05 PM »
If other schools start doing it, I will laugh at them too.
Bammers are squirming. Already making excuses for when they lose the in state recruiting battle...

http://capstonereport.com/?p=2077

Limo stunt exposes Chizik

Auburn’s new coaching staff should earn high marks for trying. The limo stunt shows a grasp of the public relations debacle that has been Auburn recruiting for the last few years; however, sending seven coaches out in a limo illustrates Gene Chizik’s failure as a head coach. As a head coach you have to weigh the public relations benefits with the tasks of managing a program. Sending out seven coaches en masse shows a useless replication; it is a misuse of resources that explains 5-19.

Sending out one small team of coaches in a limo shows a grasp of public relations, but allocating seven? You could make the same splash by sending out your coordinators in style and the other coaches to other destinations to maximize coverage. Even if you don’t have them all on the road, there are a host of things which must be done to win at recruiting—even in the office.

Think of it from a business perspective. If you have seven salesmen in your office, do you send all seven to one client? If you do, you are neglecting your other targets. At most, you will send one or two and utilize the others to maximize your workforce.

Auburn’s explanation for the limo is the impression it makes on recruits. Kevin Scarbinsky provides the reasoning in his latest column, “Showing up in force and in style is about recruiting, and recruiting is about making an impression on teen-age boys.”

That is true. To a point. Recruiting is about making the biggest impression on the most recruits in the limited time available. It is why coaches like the Alabama Crimson Tide’s Nick Saban work without rest on the recruiting trail. There are hundreds of recruits and not enough hours in the day to evaluate and execute all the other tasks necessary to land a top recruiting class.

Scarbinsky also contends the limo is for recruits. Really? It looks more like the limo is for the fans—it is a giant statement saying Auburn cares about in-state recruiting. Auburn hasn’t done very well in Alabama over the last couple of recruiting classes. In 2009, the Alabama Crimson Tide landed eight of the Rivals Top 10 recruits in the state of Alabama; Auburn landed zero. In 2008, the Crimson Tide landed seven of the Rivals Top 10 recruits in Alabama; Auburn landed zero.

See the problem?

The problem isn’t public perception of recruiting; the problem was actual work on the recruiting trail. Auburn needs to work harder and smarter. Publicity stunts are fine, but when you waste precious resources like time and personnel, it shows why Chizik was a failure as a head coach at Iowa State. Auburn fans have been warned about Chizik’s ability to waste time on the practice field—he is now wasting time on the recruiting trail playing to the fans.

And he is focused on the state of Alabama in a down year. Is this another tactical blunder? From the strategic view it is critical for Auburn to get top players from the state again. If it doesn’t happen soon, Auburn could become even more passe than it already is. But the tactical problem is the more immediate—the state doesn’t look like it will produce the same level of talent as the last three years. Talent will be good, but it won’t be dominating (if we can trust such forecasts.) If the strategic decision to flood Alabama with Auburn recruiters doesn’t payoff immediately, the talent gap with Alabama will widen. The Crimson Tide isn’t just recruiting Alabama, but throughout the region.

While Auburn coaches are going around en masse, Alabama coaches are working in the Saban manner. Which one do you think will carry the day?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 01:53:18 PM »
By the way, it is an utter joke to say we are focusing only instate...

Clearly the words of someone who knows not the fuck of which he speaks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 01:55:41 PM »
From the Mr. SEC blog:

http://mrsec.com/send-article?sec_send=46646

Auburn's Rolling Recruiting Show Kicking Up Dust
Apparently Auburn's decision to have their football coaches cruise the state of Alabama for high school prospects is being met with some negative publicity.

Kevin Scarbinsky of The Birmingham News defends AU for trying to find "a new way for a new staff to make its presence known on the recruiting trail."

Agreed.  What's the big deal?  If high school kids can be wowed by Ed Orgeron ripping his shirt off, what makes you think other kids won't be wowed to see a stretch limo pulling into a high school parking lot?

If kids are following the Twittered tweets of college coaches, why won't they keep their eyes on Auburn's new stretch Hummer?

Especially when seven coaches pour out of it like it's some sort of clown car at the circus.

As Brad Zimanek of The Montgomery Advertiser writes, most kids would probably see this as fun.

There are lots of folks mocking Auburn for their tactics right now, but those folks must not know much about recruiting.  There is nothing that's too silly or too out-of-bounds when it comes to a coach drawing attention to his program.

And every coach is looking for a new way to do just that... to break through the clutter and get kids to remember his program.

Auburn's doing it with a limo tour of Alabama high schools.  There's nothing wrong with that.  (Other than the ecological side effects of rolling around in limos and Hummers.)

Think about it, is recruiting much different than the days when you used to cruise around your town's McDonald's trying to pick up girls?

Who usually got noticed?  Who had the girls wanting to ride with him?  The guy with the coolest car, of course.

(I drove a candy-apple red '79 Firebird, by the way.  Yep.  Pretty cool.)

So pimp your ride, Gene Chizik.  I see nothing wrong with it from my perspective.

Sure it's silly... but so is the whole recruiting process. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:02:40 PM »
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20090429/SPORTS/904290359/1002/SPORTS

NEWS AND VIEWS: Auburn football staff's 'Tiger Prowl' is stroke of genius

Column by Brad Zimanek

News:The Auburn football coaching staff is making rounds in a four-day blitz this week in limousine rides to the state's high school coaches, principals and counselors to sell Tigers' football.

The tour began Monday in Mobile and they are working their way up the state hitting Montgomery on Tuesday and coming to Prattville and Stanhope Elmore high schools this afternoon. The tour ends Thursday in the Birmingham area.

Views: The decision for this tour is pure genius.

There is a sense of brashness -- "here we are ... come look at us" -- associated with it.

It comes at a perfect time.

It's making a statement that Auburn's not going to play second fiddle.

The idea to have seven assistant coaches -- the most allowed by the NCAA -- also says we're giving it our all, so take a look at what we've got because we'll be back.

I imagine every high school coach, player or school official looking at a decked out Auburn limousine pulling up in their parking lot is thinking this is a lot of fun.

How quickly this spotlight of attention pays dividends in recruiting remains to be seen, but you have to believe it would at some point soon.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:04:00 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 02:22:51 PM »
My question is...If this is such a joke, then why did Kirby Smart bust up in Ariton H.S. yesterday while the Auburn coaches were there?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 02:25:53 PM »
My question is...If this is such a joke, then why did Kirby Smart bust up in Ariton H.S. yesterday while the Auburn coaches were there?

He wanted one of those cool orange shirts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 02:26:38 PM »
He wanted one of those cool orange shirts.

I'll bet he wouldn't even tuck it in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
Doesn't matter. No one cared.

"They said Coach (Kirby) Smart came by but I didn't ever see him," (Craig) Sanders said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 02:38:25 PM »
Doesn't matter. No one cared.

This has been 3 days of point and laugh by Bama fans...and some Auburn fans.  I've heard dozens of comments from Bama fans how this is a joke and a gimmick and the mighty Saybear has cruitin' all wrapped up.  Yet, Kirby Smart gets his punk ass down to little ole' Ariton, Alabama lickety split when he hears that this "Joke" is rollin' up on one of the guys he's recruiting.  Tried to crash the party. Oh, sorry..my bad...Smart "Just happened" to be "In the area" and thought he'd "Stop by" and by some crazy "Coincidence" the Limo tour "Just happened" to be there at the "Same time".

Wow..how crazy for something like that to happen. Go figure.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 02:41:33 PM »
Sure it's silly... but so is the whole recruiting process.

My thoughts exactly.  Whatever it takes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 03:03:35 PM »
This has been 3 days of point and laugh by Bama fans...and some Auburn fans.  I've heard dozens of comments from Bama fans how this is a joke and a gimmick and the mighty Saybear has cruitin' all wrapped up.  Yet, Kirby Smart gets his punk ass down to little ole' Ariton, Alabama lickety split when he hears that this "Joke" is rollin' up on one of the guys he's recruiting.  Tried to crash the party. Oh, sorry..my bad...Smart "Just happened" to be "In the area" and thought he'd "Stop by" and by some crazy "Coincidence" the Limo tour "Just happened" to be there at the "Same time".

Wow..how crazy for something like that to happen. Go figure.
From what I read on a few boards, there was a whole lot of bumping going in with Sanders and AU coaches when Kirby Smart arrived. Whether it really happened, I don't know. Supposedly Sanders got a close up tour of the limo from AU coaches. Again, that is message board talk.

In reality, I really think they are trying to secure some guys that were thought to be AU leans. It seems they were at specific schools specifically for some kids.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 03:25:37 PM »
From what I read on a few boards, there was a whole lot of bumping going in with Sanders and AU coaches when Kirby Smart arrived. Whether it really happened, I don't know. Supposedly Sanders got a close up tour of the limo from AU coaches. Again, that is message board talk.

In reality, I really think they are trying to secure some guys that were thought to be AU leans. It seems they were at specific schools specifically for some kids.
By "bumping", are you insinuating that the Auburn coaches are distributing cocaine to high school students?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, bammers. I can hear them now.

"They gotta be givin these kids coke. We all know kids love coke. All our players are doin it. Yeah, that must be it."

And then you say "Whether it really happened, I don't know. Supposedly Sanders got a close up tour of the limo from AU coaches. Again, that is message board talk." as if there may possibly be legs to this...

:rofl:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 03:32:53 PM »
BTW, if you have 10-20 Clients that you really, really want....You do everything, legally, that you can to get them.  That's what Auburn is doing this week.  The next three weeks, they'll split up and go Nation Wide.

Also, Kirby Smart was scheduled to been at Ariton High, today.  But, when word got out that the Auburn Coaches were going to be there on Tuesday, he decided to make his way over there, stopping at a "Certain" Hardware store to grab a drink, eventhough he passed two convenience stores and gas stations, right up the road.  Then when he got word that the coaches had arrived, he got over there asap.  He walked right up in between the Auburn Seven and said, I'm going to break this little party up.  Word got back to the prospect that the coaches were there to evaluate, let's just say he thought it wasn't a Smart move on the Coach's part and that it was pretty tacky.

Also, rws, it's okay for a coach to "Bump" into the prospect, as long as, it's nothing more than a simple hello.  Think about it for a second.....do you see what I'm saying?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

RWS

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 04:48:46 PM »
By "bumping", are you insinuating that the Auburn coaches are distributing cocaine to high school students?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, bammers. I can hear them now.

"They gotta be givin these kids coke. We all know kids love coke. All our players are doin it. Yeah, that must be it."

And then you say "Whether it really happened, I don't know. Supposedly Sanders got a close up tour of the limo from AU coaches. Again, that is message board talk." as if there may possibly be legs to this...

:rofl:
I had no idea that the term "bumping" had anything to do with cocaine use. Apparently you have more experience in that area than I do. I was refering to the coaches showing the limousine to him and talking with him at length (more than a simple "hello") when Kirby Smart supposedly showed up, thus the bump rule coming into play. Also, I was pretty much just saying I read it on a message board so I don't know if its true or not. I thought that I made that pretty clear. I'm not like Prowler who likes to throw out "I heard" or to take some rumor and then regurgitate and twist it, then pass it off as fact or that I have some sort of inside knowledge. I was simply saying I read it on a message board and didn't know if it really was true. There is so much bullshit that circulates around, its really hard to decipher something that is true from something that isn't.

But as far as the squirming part, I'm not. I don't think there are Alabama fans en masse shaking in their boots or anything. Chizik and Co. are trying to shore up some recruits that they already had a pretty good shot at landing in the first place. I know you guys really WANT us to be scared (see Chizik Effect), but in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't mean much. Some of you want to justify the Chizik hiring so badly that you are willing to go to some lengths to make things up, or tell us how we think. I really don't see that working out. Some of you are so desperate to prove he was a worthwhile hire that you will take the smallest thing and make it so big for justification purposes.

The first rumor I heard about the Tiger Prowl was on BOL. Somebody had said that there was a limo in Mobile decked out in AU stickers and flags and that supposedly there were AU coaches in there coming to recruit. This was before word broke on AuburnSports or anything. The responses were mainly in disbelief saying there is no way coaches would do something that cheesy, or show that much obvious desparation. When word finally came from Rivals that it was in fact true, everybody just laughed. Folks on the LSU site laughed as well. Not like they have much room to talk, but whatever.

If it works out for you guys, and you get the guys you were there to target, then great. If not, then it doesn't. Either way, I'm still laughing. Its just shady as hell. If we had done it first, you guys would be all over it raising all kinds of hell, and circulating all kinds of rumors. Prowler would literally nut himself every 5 minutes with all the shit he would "hear". I would be embarassed had CNS and the coaches done something like that. We don't have to get limos and shit to create a buzz about Alabama right now, I don't think.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:57:05 PM by runswithscissors »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 09:19:59 PM »
But as far as the squirming part, I'm not. I don't think there are Alabama fans en masse shaking in their boots or anything. Chizik and Co. are trying to shore up some recruits that they already had a pretty good shot at landing in the first place. I know you guys really WANT us to be scared (see Chizik Effect), but in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't mean much. Some of you want to justify the Chizik hiring so badly that you are willing to go to some lengths to make things up, or tell us how we think. I really don't see that working out. Some of you are so desperate to prove he was a worthwhile hire that you will take the smallest thing and make it so big for justification purposes.

This is the worse case of bullshit spin you can come up with. There are a number on here that like Chizik a little too much, but for the most part, we have all been "wait and see" type guys. Your "Chizik and Co. are trying to shore up some recruits that they already had a pretty good shot at landing in the first place." WREAKS of arrogant bullshit. So we had shored up guys in like 20 schools in the past 3 days with another shore 5 commitments from birmingham's tour? That is so far out in fucking left field.

You can't get by with your "cheezy" spin right now because PT fucking I is talking about the tour on ESPN and there has been MAD props around people all over the nation. SO NOW you go into the whole, you are only doing this for a couple of recruits you were getting anyway.

Pathetic. I would say that you are better than that, but everyone here would know I was lying...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:20:55 PM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 09:30:18 PM »
I know about one recruit personally.  One.  Craig Sanders from here in our area.  I've posted several times about him before so I won't go into it.  Bottom line is, this kid has been a Bama lock since the day he was born.  I''ve known the quarterback for Ariton and his family for since he was born.  I don't say that like I'm some insider..big freakin deal, I have good friends in Ariton.  I say that because my friends were telling me to watch out for this kid since he was in 9th grade.  They also said numerous times that he was a Bama guy all the way.  No if's and's or butt's about it.

I bring this up because all of a sudden, one of the top recruits in this State, a Bama lock from birth, is now giving huge props to Auburn.  I bring it up to say anyone who thinks this is a stunt to lock up guys already leaning our way is full of the provebial shipth.  I think Kirby Smart trying to break up the party speaks volumes about what this limo tour is all about.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 10:00:47 PM »
Think of it from a business perspective. If you have seven salesmen in your office, do you send all seven to one client? If you do, you are neglecting your other targets. At most, you will send one or two and utilize the others to maximize your workforce.

What a joke. This is only true if you are selling frozen food patties to the local grease pits.

If you are a multi-million dollar organization who only needs to make 25 sells a year, you bust up on that with all you got. This guy needs to stick with frozen food patties.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 08:01:27 AM »
I know about one recruit personally.  One.  Craig Sanders from here in our area.  I've posted several times about him before so I won't go into it.  Bottom line is, this kid has been a Bama lock since the day he was born.  I''ve known the quarterback for Ariton and his family for since he was born.  I don't say that like I'm some insider..big freakin deal, I have good friends in Ariton.  I say that because my friends were telling me to watch out for this kid since he was in 9th grade.  They also said numerous times that he was a Bama guy all the way.  No if's and's or butt's about it.

I bring this up because all of a sudden, one of the top recruits in this State, a Bama lock from birth, is now giving huge props to Auburn.  I bring it up to say anyone who thinks this is a stunt to lock up guys already leaning our way is full of the provebial shipth.  I think Kirby Smart trying to break up the party speaks volumes about what this limo tour is all about.

Can I go to the BBQ with you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."