• My Fighting Pearls
Bats Come Alive in Sweep
« on: May 01, 2009, 11:58:16 AM »
39 runs in 2 games?  Holy crap.

Eight-Run Fifth Sends Auburn Series Sweep Of Troy, 13-8
All nine starters have hits and score runs

April 29, 2009

Final Stats

TROY, Ala. - Auburn scored eight runs in the fifth inning to complete a home-and-home sweep of Troy, winning 13-8 on Wednesday night at Riddle-Pace Field. All nine starters recorded hits and scored at least one run as Auburn pounded out 16 hits on Wednesday, a night after recording a season-high 22 in Tuesday's 26-6 win.

"We really needed to go on the road and find a way to get a win," Auburn Head Coach John Pawlowski said. "Hopefully we can continue to carry this little momentum that we gained in the midweek. Any win that we can get, especially against a good Troy team, can really help us out."

Auburn collected just four extra-base hits on the night and was held without a home run for the first time in 10 games. The squad also finished the night with a season-high four sacrifice flies, with two coming off the bat of Brian Fletcher.

Tony Caldwell collected a pair of doubles for the fourth time in his career and finished the night 3-for-4 with three runs scored, the third time this season he has crossed home at least three times in a game.

Trent Mummey, the SEC leader in runs scored, was 2-for-5 with a double and a run scored to up his season total to 60 on the season.

The decisive fifth started with a Casey McElroy double and a Hunter Morris single before Fletcher collected his second straight sac fly on the evening. A Ben Jones single put runners on first and second for Caldwell, who was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Dan Gamache drew a walk to drive in the second run of the inning before Wes Gilmer's second single of the night drove in a pair. Mummey followed with his first hit of the night to drive in Gamache and then Justin Hargett walked to reload the bases. McElroy was then hit by a pitch and Morris singled in two before Fletcher closed out the scoring in the inning with Auburn's seventh hit of the inning.

Auburn was forced to call on closer Austin Hubbard in the eighth as Troy had already scored three times in the inning and had loaded the bases with two outs and the tying run in the on-deck circle. Hubbard got the first man he faced to ground into a fielder's choice and then worked a scoreless ninth to pick up his 10th save of the season, tying him for the SEC lead.

Michael Hurst (4-0) picked up the win, tossing three innings as Auburn's fourth man out of the bullpen. He was charged three runs (one earned) on three hits and a walk, striking out a staff-high three.

Troy starter Steven Morelock (0-1) was touched for the loss, allowing the first seven Auburn runs (six earned) on eight hits and three walks in four-plus innings.

Morris extended his hitting streak to a team-best eight games with his fifth-inning single and finished the night 2-for-6 with two RBI and has now hit safely in 17 out of 19 games in the month of April to raise his batting average to .296.

The win improved Auburn's record to 27-19 while Troy dropped to 25-18.

Troy managed just four hits in the game but was able to work nine walks and was hit by a pitch five times.

Auburn returns home for a three-game Southeastern Conference this weekend as it plays host to No. 7 Ole Miss. Game times for the series are 6pm CT on both Friday and Saturday and 1pm on Sunday, with the final two games of the series being televised live on CSS. The Saturday game was moved from its original start time of 3pm to accommodate television.

Auburn 13, Troy 8 (Apr 29, 2009 at Troy, AL)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Auburn.............. 031 180 000 - 13 16 2 (27-19)
Troy................ 001 400 030 - 8 4 1 (25-18)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Win-Michael Hurst(4-0) Save-Austin Hubbard(10) Loss-Steven Morelock(0-1) T-3:14 A-1850
Weather: 80 degrees; Partly Cloudy

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
Re: Bats Come Alive in Sweep
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:11:55 PM »
The only negative that I see here, is that it was not a conference game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:39:34 PM »
The only negative that I see here, is that it was not a conference game.

If their bats are that hot, maybe they have a chance to do some damage against #7 Ole Miss this weekend.  It sure would be nice for something positive to happen for this program.  They used to be a consistent playa on the national scene but they've been down for a while now.  Just making the SEC tourney would be a start.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 12:47:19 PM »
If their bats are that hot, maybe they have a chance to do some damage against #7 Ole Miss this weekend.  It sure would be nice for something positive to happen for this program.  They used to be a consistent playa on the national scene but they've been down for a while now.  Just making the SEC tourney would be a start.

I would love to see us in the SEC tourney this year.  Anything to show that the program is headed in the right direction.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 11:42:53 AM »
It's officially over.  A series sweep by Ole Miss.  Wow, is this program really that bad?  They have gotten hammered by every good team on their schedule.  Sweep by LSU, sweep by Ole Miss, lost 2/3 to USC and on and on and on. 

When does football start?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions