Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

My Experience in the Auburn Athletic Department

My Experience in the Auburn Athletic Department
« on: April 15, 2009, 11:18:27 PM »
Harvey Birdman inquired, and I figured this could use a post of its own. 

As some of you know, I was fortunate enough to spend three years as a Tiger Host for the football team.  Here are some interesting tidbits you all might be interested in:   

There is a recruiting office.  If you walk into the complex, go pass the front desk, and up the stairs, the recruiting office is the first door on the right. 

It's not necessarily a "War Room," but that's where the records are kept.  In the office are two mini-offices and a front desk.  Sue Locklar works in the biggest office; she's been there forever.  I think she was working in the athletic department before Pat Dye was coach.  She has the best job on campus - let all the Tiger Hosts and Tigerettes do the work and she supervises.  She goes to most of the big meetings in the AD, and she goes to all fundraisers/games/special events. 

Most of what goes on here is stuffing envelopes, keeping records, and organizing visits.  Greg Knox was the recruiting coordinator when I was there, and he was a maniac when it came to mail outs.  That man was the bane of my existence, and the issues weren't football related.  Knox thought it was a great idea to stuff the mailboxes of every football player in the country.  We would send quotes of the day to 1000 kids.  You know, I bet every recruit in America was impressed by Knox's engenius recruiting tactics. 

There are massive binders kept on a shelf in the office.  We documented just about everything that went on during visits.  From what money was spent where to even who the recruit was hanging out with - we were always preparing for an audit from the NCAA.  Everything was kept on separate computers as well. 

The coaches would come in from time to time to make sure things were going okay.  We worked a lot with Andy Lutz.  He was a total asshole, but that kind of asshole you'd like to go drinking with.  Hugh Nall also popped in a lot.  He was also a total asshole, but not that kind of asshole you'd like to go drinking with.  I remember one girl on her first day in the office got her ass chewed out by Coach Nall.  She accidentally pronounced then recruit DeRon Furr as Dare-ren instead of Der-Ron.  Nall acted like she cost us the SEC championship based on that one mistake. 

Not a lot of interesting stuff happens in the office.  Pretty much just office work. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Re: My Experience in the Auburn Athletic Department
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 11:45:13 PM »
I'm trying to keep this abbreviated and easy to read, so if you have any questions just ask.  I could easily write a book's worth on this stuff.

Official and unofficial visits: 

This is where the bread and butter is as a Tiger Host.  If any of you have children attending AU, encourage them to join this organization.  Nothing beats this. 

Whenever an official visit was scheduled, about two Tiger Hosts and two Tigerettes were scheduled to the recruit.  They were to stay with the recruit at all times while he was on campus.  I was really close with Ms. Sue, so I got to do a lot of OVs. 

Whenever the recruit would arrive on Friday, one of the guys would meet him and his mom (it was always a momma.  sometimes a father or brother, etc) at the athletic department complex.  He would use a golf cart or van to take them to the hotel. 

Saturday morning at 7:00am would be breakfast at Ariccia.  If you're ever in Auburn and want to see a recruit on an OV, go to Ariccia real early for breakfast.  Breakfast for everyone was free.  I think the mom had to pay for herself or some weird NCAA bullshit, but for me, it was always free.  Best breakfast of my life.  We'd spend about 30 minutes eating and hanging out with the recruit.  The recruits were always quiet and stuck up.  I did about 12 official visits, and the only prospect I really liked was Eric Berry.  The kid was hilarious and really smart.  Most OVs are spent talking to Momma.  Tuberville stressed recruiting Momma. 

What happened after breakfast depended on game time (if it was a game day).  2:30 or earlier, we were at the stadium in the Tiger's Den.  Once we got to the stadium, we'd give the recruit a tour of the stadium, lockerroom, Heisman Room, etc.  They'd get to walk around the field.  It was pretty chill.  They always got a great spot during Tiger Walk.  Those ropes you see at Tiger Walk are for normal folk.  Recruits got to stand inside the ropes. 

Once Tiger Walk was over, Tuberville and/or the position coach would meet the prospect and family in the Heisman Room.  They'd kick everyone out and shut the door with a police officer guarding.  Kinda weird and lord knows what was going on.

After that, we'd eat again.  We were always eating.  The prospects (as I'm sure you've all seen before games) would get to stand on the sidelines as the players warmed up.  We'd place them next to their positions so they could see everything going on. 

During the game, the prospects had the option of sitting next to the student section or in section 11.  I always preferred section 11 because you could see more, and it was less crowded. 

At halftime, the OVs would get to go in the locker room with the team.  The Tiger Hosts were left out for this. 

At the end of the game, the OVs were allowed in the locker room if we won or if it was a close loss.  When we got beat by Arkansas in 2006, Lutz screamed at the OVs and us, "Get the fuck out you fucking god dammit."  Not fun. 

I only got to go in the locker room once - after the Iron Bowl in 2007.  I was stoked.  I was going to see the team celebrating a historic Iron Bowl victory.  I didn't realize I was also going to see football player penis.  Too much of it.  I was also wondering why the media in the room wasn't bothered by it.  Interesting tidbit - that night a frat kid (looked like a frat kid) had his cell phone out taking pictures in the locker room.  I asked him who he was and he said something like, "no one, maaan.  It's cool."  A buddy of mine snatched his cell phone and I shoved him out the back door.  His cell phone went in the trash.  I bet that was fun to explain to mommy and daddy. 

Saturday nights, the prospects had a player assigned to them.  I assume that the player would take the prospects out to get drunk and have incredible sex with dozens of hot girls.  They might have just gone out to play video games, but I'm going to stick with my assumption. 

Sundays, the prospects would eat again and meet with the coaches one last time.  If there was time on Saturday (night game), they would meet with their academic advisors.  If not, they would do this on Sunday.  The academic guys never seemed to give a shit because most of the prospects end up with bullshit majors. 

That's just game days....

Non-game days.  Similar, except Saturday night is a lot more fun.  The morning would still be Ariccia; lunch was Loco's; dinner was at the stadium. 

One night...best night of my life...it got to be about ten o'clock in January and the OV was wrapping up.  Coach Price tossed us a few footballs and said to go have some fun for a bit.  We all (only dweeby Tiger Hosts) got to play football under the stadium lights for about thirty minutes.  I could have been Bo Jackson that night. 

There was one Saturday that we had lunch in the presidential suite in the stadium.  That was pretty cool because players joined us.  I didn't like the suit though.  It seemed like a boring place to watch football. 

Funny story about the suite - I was standing by myself and someone popped me on the back.  I turned around and it was Tuberville.  He told me all about where he likes to ski and how he likes to set his feet up when he's going down the slope.  He asked me if I had every been skiiing to which I replied "no sir."  He said I should go some time.  That's the only personal encounter I ever had with Tuberville. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:47:44 PM »
So I can't type b-o-w-l without that ugly picture popping up???  HA. 

Another interesting tidbit - Above the museum in the complex is a storage closet.  It has more memorabilia stuffed into it and covered with dust than you'll ever see in your life.  We had to clean some of it out once, and I found, under a pile of jerseys, Terry Beasley's playbook. 

There were five footballs signed by the four 1st round draft picks of 2004.  I asked Sue if I could take at least one thing from the closet.  She said no.  I bet that shit is still just sitting up there. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:49:25 PM »
Oh and Harvey - they do have a bit of a war room on signing day.  They have a giant white board with all the prospects' names on it.  Whenever one commits, they circled their name.  Whenever they committed to another school, they wrote the other school's name on top of the player's name.  At least, that's how Tuberville's staff did it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 12:04:01 AM »
Hells Yeah!!!!!  Did you ever get to go out with the players while they were taking the prospects to paint the town?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 12:09:24 AM »
Hells Yeah!!!!!  Did you ever get to go out with the players while they were taking the prospects to paint the town?

Nope.  Not once.  It was strongly discouraged to do so.  In fact, we were told if a prospect showed up somewhere that we were at first, we should get up and leave.  I'm not going to say Tuberville and Co. were friends with Mr. Clean, but they made damn sure no Tiger Host/Tigerette screwed up anything with the NCAA.

Just for this board and I'll deny it if ever brought up again - some of the more, let's say "ghetto" Tigerettes were fooling around with some young dudes.  You should always be careful with pictures that may get posted on MySpace. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 12:29:11 AM »
Nope.  Not once.  It was strongly discouraged to do so.  In fact, we were told if a prospect showed up somewhere that we were at first, we should get up and leave.  I'm not going to say Tuberville and Co. were friends with Mr. Clean, but they made damn sure no Tiger Host/Tigerette screwed up anything with the NCAA.

Just for this board and I'll deny it if ever brought up again - some of the more, let's say "ghetto" Tigerettes were fooling around with some young dudes.  You should always be careful with pictures that may get posted on MySpace. 
So, you were still considered a Host...even Off campus and not on the time clock?  That sucks.  So, I'm guessing that Hosts/Hostess can only spend time with the prospect when they're on campus per NCAA.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 09:09:01 PM »
So, you were still considered a Host...even Off campus and not on the time clock?  That sucks.  So, I'm guessing that Hosts/Hostess can only spend time with the prospect when they're on campus per NCAA.

Exactly.  Thank Colorado for that.  I met a few guys who were Hosts when Tuberville first got to AU.  OVs would include a day trip to Lake Martin to go fishing and they would get to go.  I bet that was fun. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 09:38:52 PM »
Tell about the hookers and blow. That's where the real recruiting begins. :popcorn:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 05:02:39 AM »
Tell about the hookers and blow. That's where the real recruiting begins. :popcorn:
He was a Host for Auburn...not uat, lol.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 10:38:07 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to type all that out, THS. It was a good read.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 10:45:18 PM »
I went to a game in the Presidential suite once, as an invited guest, for a bullshit game.  50 yard line view on a cold wet November day - grateful for the parking pass - most boring place I have ever been during a football game.  So much politicking goin' on.  I was with our Congressman, and the Israeli consul would NOT leave him alone.  I know Auburn won, but I did not cheer, do the fight song or so much as clap the entire time.  Horrible.  Plus I had to wear a dress and panty hose.  Sucked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 12:34:02 AM »
I went to a game in the Presidential suite once, as an invited guest, for a bullshit game.  50 yard line view on a cold wet November day - grateful for the parking pass - most boring place I have ever been during a football game.  So much politicking goin' on.  I was with our Congressman, and the Israeli consul would NOT leave him alone.  I know Auburn won, but I did not cheer, do the fight song or so much as clap the entire time.  Horrible.  Plus I had to wear a dress and panty hose.  Sucked.
Howard does not enjoy a game without the two aforementioned elements.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:06:56 AM by AWK »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 08:19:14 AM »
Howard does no enjoy a game without the two aforementioned elements.

Typically on my head.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."