Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tuberville's Recruiting Legacy and a Realistic Look at 09'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Tuberville's Recruiting Legacy and a Realistic Look at 09'
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:25:22 AM »
In evaluating Gene Chizik after this upcoming season, regardless of what happens, I think we're going to have to take a lot of other factors into account besides wins and losses.  CTT came in and lead a rag tag bunch to a 5-6 record and was just a few plays and a bone headed coaching decision from 8 wins and a bowl.  In my mind, it was one of the top coaching jobs of his entire tenure at Auburn.  That team was literally void of any real talent and experience.  One thing about his final few years that concerned me though, was a perceived change in his recruiting tactics.  I know it's been hashed out time and time again; however, what I saw was a coach and staff that had become complacent, comfortable if you will.  There were few if any battles for the top rated talent.  Sunshine pumpers defended Tuberville's knack for "Finding diamonds in the rough".  The two star, 190 lb. linebacker who "Camped well" that will come in, redshirt and Yoxercise for a year had become the norm. 

As last year grinded to a close, I argued several times that the problem could stem back to the failed Franklin experiment, but probably lay more at the feet of poor recruiting.  Other than Mario Fannin stepping up in a couple of games late, name ONE true playmaker on that squad.  Name one receiver that could beat anyone deep, much less catch the ball if he did.  Name any back besides Mario that gave you anything to make you believe he could take it to the house...ever.  Name one QB that could start for Troy.  The same guys are back and realistically, our hope rests on a new staff, a new system and possibly a new attitude.  Several signees coming in look to have potential to be studs but you don't really have much if you're counting on kids who haven't even enrolled, much less played a down of SEC ball.

In looking at the roster, the departure of Kyle Coulahan, who never played a down, leaves Auburn with about 7-8 scholarship offensive linemen.  (That doesn't include incoming freshmen). In typical Tuberville fashion, several defensive guys are now listed as O-linemen, including AJ Green.  Defensively, I'd go to war against anyone in the country with our starters.  After that....it's a little scary!  Our defensive ends are solid and 2 deep with Coleman, Carter, Goggans Gabe McKenzie (If he's on the team...and back playing defense) Once heralded Raven Gray is no longer listed on the roster.  Our guys in the middle are big, physical and experienced with Jake Ricks, Mike Blanc and Zach Clayton.  Name anyone besides a handful of redshirt freshmen behind them. 

Linebackers...Josh Bynes, Craig Stevens and Eltoro Freeman look to be one hell of a unit but keep in mind, Freeman hasn't played a down of SEC ball either and behind them....Spencer Pybus, Adam Herring and Dashaun Barnes?  Who else?  Only one of them has even part time playing experience.  Fortunately, our numbers are strong throughout the secondary.  But, the point of all this is, we've got to hope this staff finds some playmakers or implements a system that truly catches the league off guard.  We've got to have an injury free year for the most part because the numbers in the trenches and at linebacker just aren't there. 

Any way you slice it, Tuberville's recruting has put this program in a very precarious situation.  I know this is a glass half empty analysis but facts are facts.  I'm as bad as anyone in breaking down an Auburn team going into any given year and drinking the kool-ade to the point that I'm wondering how an NFL team could beat them.  But, while this team has talent, they don't have a lot of it and you have to have numbers to compete for titles in this league.  I also tend to think the SEC will be stronger overall this year with LSU, UT and Georgia  (All on our schedule) being improved..and let's not forget Ole Miss, who suddenly is a legit playa in the West.  Of course, we can't leave out the mighty CrimpsumTahd, who will most certainly secure the 279th Nayshunal Champeenship for the Crapstone...but I digress. 

What we saw out of Chizik's staff when they came in late, was what Tommy Tuberville and his guys should have been doing all along.  Instead, they quit going in the living rooms of top rated, high profile kids and held camps to find a good many of the players on our roster.  It told on him last season.  I was just as WTF as anyone when Gene Chizik was hired.  But, regardless of whether Chizik or Pete Carroll or Nick Saban or Bob Stoops was our coach, my expectations still would not be that high going in to 09'.  Let this new staff continue their ways for a year or two more on the recruting trail, then I'm talking BCS.  Right now, I want to get to a bowl.           
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 03:55:39 PM by Harvey Birdman »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Tuberville's Recruiting Legacy and a Realistic Look at 09'
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 10:29:41 AM »
If you do that lawyering thang as well as writin' you may be able to make a livin' at it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 10:30:27 AM »
You're only a word or six away from a front page opinion/ editorial effort my friend.  Just sayin...   :thumbsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:31:58 AM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Front page?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 10:37:12 AM »
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Front page?

Yeah there smilin' Bob.  How about getting off your ass and lengthening it up for the neighborhood?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 01:08:43 PM »
You shouldn't find Ravan Gray on any roster you pull up, as he is not on the team anymore
 :stewie:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Peace, Love and God Bless Auburn!

JR4AU

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 01:32:38 PM »
HB,

Good write up, but I'm going to disagree with you.

On the OL Mike Berry, Lee Ziemba, and Ryan Pugh, and Tommy Trott were all 4 star recruits.  Byron Isom 3 star.  Andrew McCain was a TE coming out of HS, but put on 50 pounds.  He's very smart by all accounts.  

Fannin, Tate, Burns, Caudle, T. Zachery, T. Hawthorne were all 4 star recruits.  So was Gabe McKenzie but as a DE.   According to the recruiting services, we had more talent on the offensive side of the ball than the defensive side last year, and will again this year. Plus we add to that talent with O. McCaleb who is already making noise in spring practice, as well as 4 star in coming freshman RB Dontae Aycock, and WRs D. Benton and E. Blake, and 4 star receiving TE P. Lutzenkirchen.  

I think we all know why our WRs have been lacking...I expect them to be much improved with new coaching.  

Last year was the product of the perfect storm.  If it could go wrong it did.  Tuberville tried to make Franklin run his offense as a run first offense, and that imploded on him.  Tubs and Franklin were at odds over the QB, and Caudle wasn't even given a shot. Burns?  Well he's a 4 star Athlete, and a 2 star QB...at this point.  Chris Todd MIGHT could have been functional had Franklin been given the freedom to run the offense his way, but as it stood, he was so bad, he couldn't beat out Kodi, and vice versa.  We had no trigger man.  But, we're not devoid of talent at any spot on the offensive side of the ball.  And if they get them to play to their potential, we may find we're very talented.  However, it will all come down to QB play in the end...if they don't make or find a solid QB, then it will appear that we have no talent again.  

And that's just the offense.

You're a lawyer?    
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Greaseyweasel

• Love Auburn, Hate chizik. 'nuff said.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 02:15:49 PM »
Birdy the talent is there. Last season was thedeath spiral of a coach who had finally just had enough of the backstabbing.
The problems with Auburn this year will NOT be on the field but rather walking on the sidelines.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You've got to learn to stand for something

or you'll fall for anything.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 02:31:08 PM »
Birdy the talent is there. Last season was thedeath spiral of a coach who had finally just had enough of the backstabbing.
The problems with Auburn this year will NOT be on the field but rather walking on the sidelines.
      Dude, I'm sorry, but I have had enough.  You change tunes more than a fucking record.  There is another thread in this forum where you dog every fucking coach, I.e. Pat Dye and Chizik, and talk about how you loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee Auburn so much and how these guys fucked over the University. 

Then, here, on the same fucking day, in a different thread, you refer to the University and or board members as back stabbers who the Coach (Tuberville) had enough of...  You are a hypocrite, plain and simple.  You are David K. Ward.  You can't see past your self inflated ego and sense of pride that you don't realize that you have an unholy hardon for Tuberville, regardless of anything else.  You claim that your hatred for prior coaches is because of your love for the University, then you immediately come to another thread and call the University a bunch of backstabbers. 

Which way is it?  You change your story just to provide hate for a coach who has yet to been given a chance... and I bet, regardless of what happens of the field, you will hate Chizik forever.  It is simple, either enjoy Auburn football for what it is, a sport, or go the fuck home.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:32:14 PM by AWK »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 02:32:23 PM »

Your posts are as useful as an asshole two inches south of my elbow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 02:33:37 PM »
      Dude, I'm sorry, but I have had enough.  You change tunes more than a fucking record.  There is another thread in this forum where you dog every fucking coach, I.e. Pat Dye and Chizik, and talk about how you loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee Auburn so much and how these guys fucked over the University. 

Then, here, on the same fucking day, in a different thread, you refer to the University and or board members as back stabbers who the Coach (Tuberville) had enough of...  You are a hypocrite, plain and simple.  You are David K. Ward.  You can't see past your self inflated ego and sense of pride that you don't realize that you have an unholy hardon for Tuberville, regardless of anything else.  You claim that your hatred for prior coaches is because of your love for the University, then you immediately come to another thread and call the University a bunch of backstabbers. 

Which way is it?  You change your story just to provide hate for a coach who has yet to been given a chance... and I bet, regardless of what happens of the field, you will hate Chizik forever.  It is simple, either enjoy Auburn football for what it is, a sport, or go the fuck home.

Hear Hear!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 02:38:54 PM »

The 2nd String Players?  The Trainers?  The recruits that are visiting the game?  Aubie?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
The 2nd String Players?  The Trainers?  The recruits that are visiting the game?  Aubie?

I think he meant the Birmingham News.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 02:54:39 PM »
Greaseyweasel posts on this board, and another Auburn board.  He has plainly stated that his mission in life is to irritate the fuck out of the Auburn family until they see things his way.  AND, if you don't see things EXACTLY his way, then you're a sunshine pumping unicorn rider.  There is no middle ground to him.  You either hate Chizik with all your might, or you think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and you're just spineless because you don't do what he does.  He's a fucking prick, and not a soul on either board wants him around.  Yeah, a guy that states his mission is to fuck with Auburn people, and constantly runs down coaches like Dye and Tuberville, hates Chizik and WISHES him failure wonders why so many think he's a bammer.  Jesus Fucking Christ!  How big a fucking moron do you have to be GW?  NOBODY WANTS YOU AROUND!  NOBODY!  YOU SHOULD BE A BAMMER IF YOU'RE NOT!  AT LEAST THEY DESERVE A FUCKING PRICK LIKE YOU!  NOBODY CAN TREAT THE AUBURN FAMILY THE WAY YOU DO AND LOVE AUBURN.  IT'S NOT FUCKING POSSIBLE.  

And what's worse is you labor under these delusions that what you do here can effect change at Auburn.  You're a miserable fuckhead, and nobody would give any opinion of yours any weight at all.  NONE! Please try and comprehend these things.  Repeat after me: "I'm a stupid fuck, I don't matter, Auburn people hate me, and I can't change anything at Auburn"  Stand in front of the mirror repeating that until you get it through that shit in your head that you call a brain!  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 03:16:15 PM »

He has never had any consistency in terms of logic.

Here, he is saying that last season was a product of Tuberville being "backstabbed", so as to absolve all blame from Tuberville so that he can pretend Tuberville and his assistants were just about to go undefeated next year with the present talent, and anything Chizik does less than that is a disappointment.

Completely laughable.

Doesn't matter anyway, he's already explicitly stated that Chizik can go undefeated three years in a row and he will still say he was a detestable human being, and the worst possible coaching hire imaginable.

He takes the idea that Chizik fucked something up somehow, then works backwards from this conclusion to support this, damn any kind of consistency. For example, according to him, Chizik was the reason the basketball team underperformed at the beginning of the season, and he was also the reason they did so well at the end.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 03:18:50 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 03:29:06 PM »
JR, I agree with you on the talent being there for the most part with the exception of true playmakers at key positions.  I think the main point I wanted to convey is the lack of numbers or depth at crucial positions.  Take LB for instance.  We've got 3 monsters that will start. But, out of the 3 backing them up, only one (Pybus) has part time playing experience.  Same with the interior D-line.  3 studs will start but I'm not sure there's one back up on the roster who's played a down.  Maybe, but nothing significant.  As I said, I'd take our starters on D and line up against anyone.  But after that, the numbers just aren't there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Birmingham

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 03:30:44 PM »

The bama version of GreasyWeisel posts on a bama board I frequent.  He is most of the reason I don't post there more often.  I can't stand his ass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 03:32:38 PM »
JR, I agree with you on the talent being there for the most part with the exception of true playmakers at key positions.  I think the main point I wanted to convey is the lack of numbers or depth at crucial positions.  Take LB for instance.  We've got 3 monsters that will start. But, out of the 3 backing them up, only one (Pybus) has part time playing experience.  Same with the interior D-line.  3 studs will start but I'm not sure there's one back up on the roster who's played a down.  Maybe, but nothing significant.  As I said, I'd take our starters on D and line up against anyone.  But after that, the numbers just aren't there.

I agree there.  I think our 1s on both sides of the ball can play with anyone...except QB...and hopefully that will change.  There is a dropoff after the 1s, especially at the positions you cited.  They, I think got some future playmakers in the 2009 class...they need to concentrate on the trenches on both sides of the ball in the 2010 class.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Greaseyweasel

• Love Auburn, Hate chizik. 'nuff said.
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 05:57:58 PM »

The bama version of GreasyWeisel posts on a bama board I frequent.  He is most of the reason I don't post there more often.  I can't stand his ass.

Well what is stopping you from crossing this place off your list? As Fred Sanford said..."Don't let the doorknob hit ya where the Good Lord split ya".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You've got to learn to stand for something

or you'll fall for anything.

Birmingham

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 06:38:41 PM »
Well what is stopping you from crossing this place off your list? As Fred Sanford said..."Don't let the doorknob hit ya where the Good Lord split ya".

That particular guy spewed anti-bama posts everyday and that's not what I was going to that forum to read.  This is an Auburn forum where I can expect the general conversation to be pro Auburn.

I can't believe I had to explain that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions