Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Watchmen

Watchmen
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:02:05 AM »
My quick review - no spoilers

Not good.  What's considered to be the greatest graphic novel of all time has translated into a 3 hour visit to a cesspool of bad writing.  The story simply does NOT work on the big screen.  Don't get me wrong - Watchmen (the graphic novel) is an incredibly complex and interesting story.  The movie adaptation sticks to it fairly closely, and honestly, that's the issue.  It's boring to watch.  The action scenes seem mostly out of place.  The acting was piss-poor except for Rorchach.  It lacked a cohesive plot.  The theme and the ending differed from my beliefs (not religious or anything.  See the movie and I'll tell you about it). 

Overall - a huge disappointment.  I even had to get into a fight with my wife to see this.  She wanted to hang out with friends instead of seeing a comic book movie.  Thanks to the Watchmen, it's going to be really hard to convince her to see the next one. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 10:12:05 AM by townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Re: Watchmen
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 11:09:52 AM »
That sucks to hear, I was looking forward to seeing it.

I was afraid that it was too complex to bring to the big screen.

How different was it than the comic?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 11:24:07 AM »
That sucks to hear, I was looking forward to seeing it.

I was afraid that it was too complex to bring to the big screen.

How different was it than the comic?

I haven't really read the comic.  I've heard a lot about it and read a lot of summaries.  I've glanced through it.

The ending is the same message but done in a different way.  Also, since the graphic novel is so big, a lot of backstory is left out, but that's expected. 

It was choppy and boring.  The key word is boring.  I really didn't care what happened.  Supposedly if you've invested in the graphic novel, you won't be terribly disappointed.  You'll be able to fill in the gaps. 

I will say this - I'm going to read the graphic novel from beginning to end.  I could tell it's a great story that has a lot of deeper meaning and symbolism. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 12:03:47 PM »
I haven't really read the comic.  I've heard a lot about it and read a lot of summaries.  I've glanced through it.

The ending is the same message but done in a different way.  Also, since the graphic novel is so big, a lot of backstory is left out, but that's expected. 

It was choppy and boring.  The key word is boring.  I really didn't care what happened.  Supposedly if you've invested in the graphic novel, you won't be terribly disappointed.  You'll be able to fill in the gaps. 

I will say this - I'm going to read the graphic novel from beginning to end.  I could tell it's a great story that has a lot of deeper meaning and symbolism. 
I have two friends, both of which have read the novel, and they say the exact opposite.  They gave the movie two thumbs up.  FWIW.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:47:24 PM »
I have two friends, both of which have read the novel, and they say the exact opposite.  They gave the movie two thumbs up.  FWIW.

I heard the same thing, and also had a few friends out last night that saw it and gave it a rave review.  Fans of the novel as well.   Looks like this one is going to be a subjective dealio...

I'm still ready to check it out...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 08:31:21 PM »
**SPOILER ALERT**

Soooo... is it safe to say your friends are fans of big, blue, glowing, superhero penis?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 10:07:27 AM »
**SPOILER ALERT**

Soooo... is it safe to say your friends are fans of big, blue, glowing, superhero penis?

Hell. I was more impressed that they even had friends.  :clap:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 01:21:24 PM »
I had a feeling it would be better if you hadn't read the book(s).

I haven't and it was okay. The silk spectre chick was definitely a super freaking hottie. It was slow and boring in places, for sure, but they had to do a lot of character development.

1'd give it a 7.5/10.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 07:40:17 PM »
Saw it last night.  I can agree with tallhall, I was able to fill in the blanks so to speak.  My wife would hate it.

Rorschach fucking ruled though.  The actor nailed it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 09:01:51 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 02:49:17 PM »
Saw it last night.  I can agree with tallhall, I was able to fill in the blanks so to speak.  My wife would hate it.

Rorschach fucking ruled though.  The actor nailed it.

Yeah, Rorschack was awesome.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 02:53:17 PM »
Yeah, Rorschack was awesome.

I wasn't really impressed with him.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 03:09:34 PM »
Screech kicked Horseshit's ass in celebrity boxing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 04:44:42 PM »
Bout to see this fucker.  My last appointment got cancelled in Baton Rouge.  Its a new level of bad ass sitting in a theatre on your own while on a blackberry.  Oh by the way... Pee Wee says hi.

Any good bar to hit after I leave here?  Staying right off I10 on Arcadia Thruway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 05:09:22 PM »
Bout to see this fucker.  My last appointment got cancelled in Baton Rouge.  Its a new level of bad ass sitting in a theatre on your own while on a blackberry.  Oh by the way... Pee Wee says hi.

Any good bar to hit after I leave here?  Staying right off I10 on Arcadia Thruway.

Yeah, there's one right down from you called "The Velvet Spike". 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

chinook

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 06:07:26 PM »
Oh by the way... Pee Wee says hi.

cute...you've named your penis. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 07:25:15 PM »
Too many phone calls.  Ill have to give it a shot some other time. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 08:24:20 PM »

cute...you've named your penis. 

You're going to have to keep up... that's Rufus.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions