Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

5 Ways People Are Trying To Save The World - That Don't Work

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
Re: 5 Ways People Are Trying To Save The World - That Don't Work
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 09:57:52 AM »
Now we just know you are lying now.  Your wife just calved so we know you aren't getting it there and nobody else in Dic-hater would be caught dead with a man.

Unless, it's another man... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 10:06:23 AM »
Unless, it's another man... 

Or use to be a man?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 11:40:37 AM »
Or use to be a man?

In my present situation, you must be equal opportunity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 12:05:54 PM »
In my present situation, guzzling male "cow" milk, you must be equal opportunity.

Don't they call dat Affirmative Action? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 12:25:54 PM »
My heart breaks for that family, but I still disagree.  Sure, it is easy in hindsight to say that they wish they had not had him vaccinated, but their other three children got the same shots and are fine.  What happened to him is tragic, but he had an allergy.  Who's to say that he would not have reacted to the vaccines in separate doses?  How is this different from a child who gets leukemia or has a bad fall?  It cannot be predicted.  What would be worse would be to have skipped the vaccines and had him or any of the other three come down with a disease like smallpox or polio - diseases that are guaranteed killers, and killers in a slow, horrible, totally preventable way.  I know I would feel worse watching one of my kids die from something I could have prevented.  I KNOW smallpox and measles and meningitis kill - the allergic reaction he had was a total unknown.  Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

But if a parent saw this and decided not to get their child vaccinated, is it a sure thing that their child would die from not being vaccinated? We don't know. Each parent must make that decision. I chose to get mine vaccinated. And I will probably want my daughter to get that new vaccination. But I cannot fault a parent for doing what they think is right. It's a tough thing being a parent. Not everything the government and society tells you to do is the right thing for you and your children. That is why I still believe it is the parent's right. They have a vaccine for chicken pox now. We just got it, stayed home a week and then mostly never got it again. Whatever happened to letting nature take it's course on the simple things? Just because there is a pill for it or a shot for it, does not make it the right thing to do.

Do I think the parents are stupid for not vaccinating? Probably. But I don't think the small number that refuse are really affecting the contagious disease rate like we think.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 03:44:23 PM »
Not everything the government and society tells you to do is the right thing for you and your children. That is why I still believe it is the parent's right. They have a vaccine for chicken pox now. We just got it, stayed home a week and then mostly never got it again. Whatever happened to letting nature take it's course on the simple things? Just because there is a pill for it or a shot for it, does not make it the right thing to do.
I agree with the idea that the govt or society should not be the final say so for my decisions regarding my child.  But from history, we do know what an epidemic such as smallpox or measles can do to large segments of the population if allowed to gain a foothold.  No way would I want my child to experience that.  That is not the govt or society telling me what to do - that is a decision based on my own research, and weighing the odds of a one in a million allergic reaction versus a child with a potentially lethal disease. 

As for letting nature take its course, I also think that since the advent of vaccines, the diseases themselves have probably become stronger and more resistant to treatment - plus, there is really no effective treatment for a virus - you can't use antibiotics.  So I would not let one case of possible reaction to the vaccine sway me from having my child vaccinated.  Esp in Texas - cases of TB are skyrocketing because of the large influx of unvaccinated illegals crossing the border.  Damn right I am getting my kids vaccinated.

We take medicaton to prevent heart attacks and high blood pressure and other diseases.  Some people have a bad reaction to those meds too, but the vast majority of people are benefited by the medications, so we don't take them off the market.  How is a vaccine any different?  More people benefit than are harmed. 

I am not arguing with you, CC - just my opinion.  :)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:46:07 PM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions