Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

QB's From the State of Texas

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: QB's From the State of Texas
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2009, 05:36:07 PM »
More than one year.  I just used 04 as an example.  

OK...give me the rest of the list.

Simple question:  Are you willing to pass on kids from Alabama, Florida and Georgia to chase kids in Texas knowing that you're going to be (more than likely) only getting those kids for whom Texas and OU are out of the question?

I don't think that you have to pass on the ones you want.

You're going to have to show me how a coach can make four stops at kids at Alabama high schools to see them play on Friday night and talk to their mommas while he's also in Texas (or whereever) that same Friday night seeing kids and mommas there.  

Can't be done.  

There are lots of coaches on the staff.  I think they can spread the duties around sufficiently.  Call me a blind optimist if you must, but I'll just call you a blind pessimist.

You've got to pick battles and battlegrounds.  

I'm more comfortable with Auburn fighting Urban Meyer and Nick Saban for recruits than I am Auburn trying to cross swords with Mack Brown and Bob Stoops because there you're fighting with one hand tied already.

I disagree. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2009, 05:51:57 PM »
No, Chop, it isn't just MY opinion on Harrell.  It's the opinion of professionals who are paid to make judgements on the relative talent of players competing for positions in the NFL draft.  Harrell just doesn't have it.  He's not "fucking good."  I'm grateful you're not evaluating talent for a living. 

And the point is you listed a bunch of quarterbacks from the state of Texas.  So fucking what?  Unless you have a relative comparison of how many quarterbacks on D1 rosters were from the states of Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama, then you just have a meaningless list.  For all you know there are far more from those states who are on college rosters or who have gone on to NFL success.  Maybe that invalidates your entire argument?  But why bother finding out. 

Are thise the same proffessionals that have said that tebow is not NFL caliber QB talent?  Timmy and his Heisman and 2 national championships say he is one hell of a college QB.  Graham Harrell would start at almost any school in the SEC, maybe short of FL.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2009, 05:52:40 PM »
In my opinion, here is the bottom line:

Lets take Rollison for example. He's from Texas. His offer list isn't widely impressive, but he put up some good numbers, and I think he played 2A ball (I may be thinking of Mosley on this)? He's got some weight to put on to be able to withstand playing in the SEC, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad QB either. It just means he needs a little more meat on his bones to take what he's going to get. If he can step in and shame every QB on the roster and light up SEC secondaries, then so be it. He's good. He may be the next coming of Jesus for all I know. But, one shouldn't think he's going to be a stud just because he's from TX and other QBs from Texas have been good. Just because he put up really good numbers at the HS level doesn't mean he will do it in the SEC.

Who knows about Rollison yet, but I'd be just as happy about landing the #2 Dual Threat QB in the NATION if he was from Pencildick, CT.  

Look what happened to Kodi Burns. He was Mr. Everything his SR year. So far, he hasn't shown much, and that goes well beyond having a shitty OC for half the season.
 Yeah, I'm sure sitting out half the year and having no QB coach, or any coaching for that matter, made a difference.  

There is usually a pretty good amount of talent that comes out of TX, but not everybody is. There is alot of good talent that comes out across the country for that matter. Not every single one of them turns out to be good at the college level, though. You don't really know if they're good or not until they play a little. Its easy enough to sit here and say this guy is or isn't good, but we honestly don't know. Everybody is entitled to their opinion as to how he will do. Its like I said before, it all comes down to the evaluation the coach makes. I would hope a coach wouldn't just take everything he can get out of TX blindly just because its TX. I see no problem with cherrypicking the talent out of a state though. You just better hope that "talent" translates to college "talent".

Well, at least I don't think either side will disagree with you here.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2009, 05:56:21 PM »
OK...give me the rest of the list.

I don't think that you have to pass on the ones you want.

There are lots of coaches on the staff.  I think they can spread the duties around sufficiently.  Call me a blind optimist if you must, but I'll just call you a blind pessimist.

I disagree. 

Then you disagree with yourself.  You said Texas and OU can fill their roster without leaving the state.  That implies that they get who they want from there.  That being the case, then AU would be at a significant disadvantage in that recruiting area.  

As for the list?  Since 1981, Auburn's had several ten and 11 win teams, two undefeated teams and three teams that could/should have won national titles.   Georgia's had a ton of success.  Alabama had the (alleged) number one recruiting class in the country last year. How many were from Texas?  One. Round Square or some such shit.  Never heard of him.  How many were from states outside AL, MS, FL, GA, TN, LA? Three. One was the Round Square dude, the other was a kicker from Saban's home town in WV and the third was the son of a guy who played for Saban at Michigan State.  

LSU has Texans on the roster but it makes sense geographically for them to do so.  They are a border state.  If Auburn were LSU, I'd expect them to recruit Texas.

Florida picked up a few (I think you said seven) but three or four of those are freshmen lured by the national prestige that UF created by winning -- with players primarily from the state of Florida.  None of the Texans on the roster were significant contributors to the team.  A senior running back who sat behind a freshman (from Florida) was about the biggest deal.  Every Texas native on Florida's roster could have vanished into the night and nobody would have known.  

Why are we still talking about this?  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2009, 05:58:35 PM »
Are thise the same proffessionals that have said that tebow is not NFL caliber QB talent?  Timmy and his Heisman and 2 national championships say he is one hell of a college QB.  Graham Harrell would start at almost any school in the SEC, maybe short of FL.

Disagree. 

He would start at Auburn, but then so would you. Or I. Or the girl who lives across the street from me.

Chew on this....  Chris Todd and Harrell were neck and neck at Texas Tech.  Those two battled it out for the starting job and Harrell finally got it a few weeks prior to the opening game of the season.  During that year, though, Todd took over for him in several games. 

Eventually, though, he decided to transfer figuring that Leach was going to back Harrell. 

We saw Chris Todd play. 

Any additional questions?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:06:39 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2009, 06:02:37 PM »
Disagree. 

He would start at Auburn, but then so would you. Or I. Or the girl who lives across the street from me.

Pretty sure he would start at:

Auburn
South Carolina
Kentucky
Vandy
MSU
Ole Miss
LSU
Arkansas
Alabama
UGA in 09
UT
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2009, 06:04:31 PM »
Pretty sure he would start at:

Auburn
South Carolina
Kentucky
Vandy
MSU
Ole Miss
LSU
Arkansas
Alabama
UGA in 09
UT

No no...  He REALLY disagrees with you Tailgate....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2009, 06:07:29 PM »
Then you disagree with yourself.  You said Texas and OU can fill their roster without leaving the state.  That implies that they get who they want from there.  That being the case, then AU would be at a significant disadvantage in that recruiting area.  

The sheer number of players in TX make that a non-issue.  We'd most likely not be getting the best of the best at first, but a trend/pipeline has to begin somehow.

As for the list?  Since 1981, Auburn's had several ten and 11 win teams, two undefeated teams and three teams that could/should have won national titles.   Georgia's had a ton of success.  Alabama had the (alleged) number one recruiting class in the country last year. How many were from Texas?  One. Round Square or some such shit.  Never heard of him.  How many were from states outside AL, MS, FL, GA, TN, LA? Three. One was the Round Square dude, the other was a kicker from Saban's home town in WV and the third was the son of a guy who played for Saban at Michigan State.  

We've had a good run, but we still can't seem to break through.  If we're getting our share of the local kids and doing all that we can in this area, then I submit that it's time to dig a new well somewhere else.

LSU has Texans on the roster but it makes sense geographically for them to do so.  They are a border state.  If Auburn were LSU, I'd expect them to recruit Texas.

I agree with this.

Florida picked up a few (I think you said seven) but three or four of those are freshmen lured by the national prestige that UF created by winning -- with players primarily from the state of Florida.  None of the Texans on the roster were significant contributors to the team.  A senior running back who sat behind a freshman (from Florida) was about the biggest deal.  Every Texas native on Florida's roster could have vanished into the night and nobody would have known.  

Florida will always get its share from the home state.  We don't have that advantage.  We get some, but not the volume that UF will get.  Tate Casey might argue that he contributed, however.  I agree that winning begets better recruits.

Why are we still talking about this?  

Because it's fun watching you chase the stick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2009, 06:08:25 PM »
No no...  He REALLY disagrees with you Tailgate....

Fuck off, llama.  

I modified my initial post to include the following:  

Chew on this....  Chris Todd and Harrell were neck and neck at Texas Tech.  Those two battled it out for the starting job and Harrell finally got it a few weeks prior to the opening game of the season.  During that year, though, Todd took over for him in several games.

Eventually, though, he decided to transfer figuring that Leach was going to back Harrell.  

We all saw Chris Todd play.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2009, 06:09:25 PM »

Because it's fun watching you chase the stick.

Throwing it back isn't the same as chasing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2009, 06:11:31 PM »
Fuck off, llama.

Still name calling.  I haven't yet.    

I modified my initial post to include the following:  

Chew on this....  Chris Todd and Harrell were neck and neck at Texas Tech.  Those two battled it out for the starting job and Harrell finally got it a few weeks prior to the opening game of the season.  During that year, though, Todd took over for him in several games.

We all saw Chris Todd play.  

I have an additional question.... Did Todd have the shoulder problems he had this year at Texas Tech when he was "battling it out with Harrell"?

Cause if not, I submit this year meant nothing.  (....and that doesn't mean he wasn't terrible this year)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2009, 06:14:16 PM »

I have an additional question.... Did Todd have the shoulder problems he had this year at Texas Tech when he was "battling it out with Harrell"?

Cause if not, I submit this year meant nothing.  (....and that doesn't mean he wasn't terrible this year)

Todd may have sucked this year, but he was probably better than ......
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2009, 06:16:15 PM »
Todd may have sucked this year, but he was probably better than ......

You might be right, but I'd like to see them get proper coaching and work under a staff all on the same page.  I think that's fair.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2009, 06:29:15 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2009, 06:48:57 PM »

Florida will always get its share from the home state.  We don't have that advantage.  We get some, but not the volume that UF will get.  Tate Casey might argue that he contributed, however.  I agree that winning begets better recruits.

So we somehow improve by "expanding" recruiting to an area where AU has no traditional base, no long-term relationship with high school coaches, no real recognition.... an area that is basically "Florida-lite" considering that the Sunshine State pumps out more top quality recruits than Texas...  an area where two schools already get the share from the home state and we won't have that advantage nor get near the volume those two get? 

Your logic escapes me.  But I'm used to people eventually arguing my points for me. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2009, 06:52:59 PM »

No, llama is a description of behavior.  Not name calling.  "Fucking feeb" would be an example of name calling.  Llama is more a term of affection.  Brotherly affection.  Or maybe distant cousinly affection.

No, Todd did not have the shoulder problem at TT to my knowledge, but the "shoulder problem" didn't affect his eyes, his feet or any other disjointed part of his body.  Shoulder or no, he wasn't going to wow anybody. 

Harrell is a system QB as most of the Texas Tech QBs are.  Put him at AU and he's not starting.  Well, most years he's not.  He's not starting over Brandon Cox. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »
No, llama is a description of behavior.  Not name calling.  "Fucking feeb" would be an example of name calling.  Llama is more a term of affection.  Brotherly affection.  Or maybe distant cousinly affection.

:bs:

I know though.  You can't help yourself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2009, 07:03:10 PM »
So we somehow improve by "expanding" recruiting to an area where AU has no traditional base, no long-term relationship with high school coaches, no real recognition.... an area that is basically "Florida-lite" considering that the Sunshine State pumps out more top quality recruits than Texas...  an area where two schools already get the share from the home state and we won't have that advantage nor get near the volume those two get? 

Marginally fewer recruits, split between fewer schools than the Florida recruits.  Add an extra 85 or 170 roster spots and the competition for FL kids gets a lot tighter. 

Your logic escapes me.  But I'm used to people eventually arguing my points for me. 

I can assure you that I'm not arguing your point. Your logic exists in a vacuum accessible only to Kaos
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:06:52 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2009, 07:04:41 PM »
:bs:

I know though.  You can't help yourself.

Chop, if you knew half as much as you thought you did...  well....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2009, 07:08:23 PM »
I can assure you that I'm not arguing your point.

Perhaps not intentionally.  But you're scoring points in my basket.  So I'll take it. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions