QB's From the State of Texas

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: QB's From the State of Texas
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2009, 11:11:58 AM »

oh no you din t.

Yes. Yes I did. 

It never made sense to me for Arkansas to be in the SEC.  Southern Miss, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Tulane, Clemson, Memphis yes.  Arkansas? No.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2009, 11:31:28 AM »
Yes. Yes I did. 

It never made sense to me for Arkansas to be in the SEC.  Southern Miss, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Tulane, Clemson, Memphis yes.  Arkansas? No.

On the surface you are right.  There were others that made more geographical sense.

GT-left of their own accord

FSU-had their chance when GT got out

Tulane- C'mon man.  They get bitch slapped in the weak ass conference they are already in.  No way they are coming in.

Memphis - See "Tulane"

Southern Miss & Clemson - Would have made sense.

The problem I saw and still see to some degree with Arkansas was that the SEC did not push harder to bring in a more natural rival from the old SWC with them.  I believe that argument is almost moot now because they are starting to get some ill feelings toward the Dwarf, the Hat, and the Hoot, and that is just out of the West.  No love for Tennessee either.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:36:29 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2009, 11:54:14 AM »
Auburn would be at a significant recruiting disadvantage in Texas and find it difficult to break the Texas-Oklahoma stranglehold -- and do we REALLY want to be chasing the third or fourth choice after UT, OU and the other Texas programs had picked over what was there?

Back to the original topic.  With several new assistants coming out of the Big 12, one would have to assume that they recruited Texas for their respective former employers.  These guys have established connections and relationships with many TX high school coaches, and maybe even some players.

Kaos, PLEASE explain specifically HOW would this be a significant recruiting disadvantage for Auburn?  

It's not like Auburn and the SEC fall off the radar once you cross the Mississippi River.  The  SEC is the best conference in college football, top to bottom.  Not to mention that Dallas and Houston both have HUGE Auburn alumni groups because of electrical engineering (Texas Instruments, etc. in Dallas) and aerospace engineering (NASA in Houston).  And like our little pork rind loving friend pointed out, Texas and OU are despised about as much as they are supported.  So those two schools do not have a stranglehold on this state, and if an SEC powerhouse (I guess Auburn still applies, haha) comes in and builds upon those ALREADY EXISTING relationships, who's to say that we won't give them a run for their money?  i sincerely doubt we would be taking the leftovers that got picked over by UT and OU first.

Not to mention that for all their hype, TX and OU are not all that and a bag of chips.  Mack Brown is totally dependent on having a QB that is willing to get the living shit beat out of him in order to win, and they stumble every year to some upstart.  Vince Young beat USC and dragged his team along with him.  Bob Stoops might get to the big game, but in that crappy conference, that is not that big of an accomplishment, and even when he gets there, he can't seem to pull out the win.  And the worst ass kicking of them all for him came at LSU's hands, no?  An SEC team?

I get thewhole "Can't move out here/take time away from our base" thing, but I think we can afford one guy to start cherry picking the best of Texas to find our playmakers of the future.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:55:27 AM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2009, 11:59:12 AM »
Obviously others noted a turn of attention to Texas or the question wouldn't have been asked of him.  His answer didn't completely satisfy me.  "we go where we have relationships."  Is this an ongoing strategy or a short-term situation?  "We don't have areas."  Sounds disorganized. 

I would guess that is the current strategy/short-term situation.  This staff got in the game, 2 minutes left to go in the 4th, kind of late.  He did say that he looked forward to growing and re-kindling relationships with coaches around here.  He has told recruits such as Kirkpatrick and Kelly that needed to and wanted to get the top talent in state and that is why he started recruiting them (not that it did any good, they were committed long before then).  I am not going to give him shit for recruiting right now. If anyone thought that recruiting wasn't going to take a hit this time with a coaching change, then they are being delusional.  He is at a disadvantage and has been since day one.  Now next year if he totally abandons this area and goes out west I will complain like most will.  I imagine that coaches will have assigned areas next year, they might not, we will have to find out next year, but they have already talked to some juniors this time and they are in our "bread and butter areas"  that, along with what he told recruits from here, and what he stated about growing relationships gives me an indication that we will not abandon it. Plus if he has been given  a heads up on anything, he should know that fans are pissed about getting our ass kicked by the evil ones for in state talent last year. On the filp side, if the #1 prospect next year lives in Montana, TX, or wherever, I expect our staff to call him, give him a visit and see if he is at least interested.

I am not, and have not said that recruiting TX only is a good thing, but getting a good recruit or three from out there isn't a terrible thing, especially this late in the game when a lot of recruits have already been locked up by other schools.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2009, 12:02:11 PM »

Back to the original topic.  With several new assistants coming out of the Big 12, one would have to assume that they recruited Texas for their respective former employers.  These guys have established connections and relationships with many TX high school coaches, and maybe even some players.

Kaos, PLEASE explain specifically HOW would this be a significant recruiting disadvantage for Auburn?  

It's not like Auburn and the SEC fall off the radar once you cross the Mississippi River.  The  SEC is the best conference in college football, top to bottom.  Not to mention that Dallas and Houston both have HUGE Auburn alumni groups because of electrical engineering (Texas Instruments, etc. in Dallas) and aerospace engineering (NASA in Houston).  And like our little pork rind loving friend pointed out, Texas and OU are despised about as much as they are supported.  So those two schools do not have a stranglehold on this state, and if an SEC powerhouse (I guess Auburn still applies, haha) comes in and builds upon those ALREADY EXISTING relationships, who's to say that we won't give them a run for their money?  i sincerely doubt we would be taking the leftovers that got picked over by UT and OU first.

Not to mention that for all their hype, TX and OU are not all that and a bag of chips.  Mack Brown is totally dependent on having a QB that is willing to get the living shit beat out of him in order to win, and they stumble every year to some upstart.  Vince Young beat USC and dragged his team along with him.  Bob Stoops might get to the big game, but in that crappy conference, that is not that big of an accomplishment, and even when he gets there, he can't seem to pull out the win.  And the worst ass kicking of them all for him came at LSU's hands, no?  An SEC team?

I get thewhole "Can't move out here/take time away from our base" thing, but I think we can afford one guy to start cherry picking the best of Texas to find our playmakers of the future.

Chizad is tired of hearing the same things over and over and over and over.  

I am tired of repeating them.  

In the ten pages prior I explained my position. Multiple times.  You see things differently and that's fine. I don't have time to be dragged back into it again today.   I said what I said.  You can't serve two masters and you can't shit in two sandboxes.  Those are realities.  In business you can diversify because  you can theoretically add whatever resources are necessary. This isn't business. In this venture, resources (manpower) are finite.  

My portion of this discussion is now concluded.  For real this time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2009, 12:56:28 PM »
Again.. PG "4"

This is my final say on the matter. 

Please to be continuing your euphoria.  In four or five years you can tell me if I was right or wrong. 

:suicide:

I'm bettin' it isn't over yet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2009, 04:37:39 PM »
Yes. Yes I did. 

No love for Suwanee?
Well yall have us like it or not. I'm glad to be here. We've been on the same team since the 1860s. We're just a bunch of redneck hillbillies and we fit in here better than with the amigos and sodbusters.
You might be a good fit there. They have amber waves of grain for a Plainsman to frolic in.
Its not like the teams take bus rides to their games any more.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2009, 05:44:16 PM »
Here's Dickheads take on recruiting. It's easier to coach from Mississippi in the SEC. He's doing really well at it, too. I think he has 3 of the top 40 recruits in MS going to Ole Miss. while Petrino has a top 20 class coming to Arkansas even after a losing season. Fuck Nutt.
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=905931
Yall may think this irrevalent, but it comes down to the coach and staff to get the best player available, wherever they come from. Recruiting is part (a big part, IMVHO) of their job. At least yall don't have an idiot such as this. Thank God For Mississippi.
Recruiting was hard in Arkansas because he had things fucked up worse than a dick without a hole in it.

This is just to show yall that no matter how bad yall have it, some folks have it worse.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 05:45:35 PM by boartitz »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2009, 06:00:53 PM »
Winning is gonna fix a bunch of this shit anyways. I think both of our programs are getting primed.
Fuck Nutt, Saban and Kiffin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2009, 06:06:28 PM »
Winning is gonna fix a bunch of this shit anyways. I think both of our programs are getting primed.
Fuck Nutt, Saban and Kiffin.

Uhhhh.... you're talking to yourself.  Just saying.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2009, 06:07:33 PM »

I was always told it's OK to talk to yourself as long as you don't answer
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2009, 06:16:08 PM »

I'll bet you a six pack of any kind of beer under $50 per sixpack that yall will have a better winning record in football than what you had last year.
Shit or get off the pot.
To clarify--- I meant this next year
Not my intention to make a trick bet. Yall's 2009 record will be better than 2008. Is that clear enough?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 06:26:09 PM by boartitz »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »
Here's Dickheads take on recruiting. It's easier to coach from Mississippi in the SEC. He's doing really well at it, too. I think he has 3 of the top 40 recruits in MS going to Ole Miss. while Petrino has a top 20 class coming to Arkansas even after a losing season. Fuck Nutt.
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=905931
Yall may think this irrevalent, but it comes down to the coach and staff to get the best player available, wherever they come from. Recruiting is part (a big part, IMVHO) of their job. At least yall don't have an idiot such as this. Thank God For Mississippi.
Recruiting was hard in Arkansas because he had things fucked up worse than a dick without a hole in it.

This is just to show yall that no matter how bad yall have it, some folks have it worse.
He may have shat himself. :rofl:
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2150&tid=124128168&mid=124128168&sid=1144&style=2
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions