Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

QB's From the State of Texas

QB's From the State of Texas
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:14:21 AM »
These are QB's on 2008 NCAA Div-1 Rosters.   So, just in case anyone happens to think we're wasting our time in Texas....

1. Colt McCoy, Texas (Tuscola Jim Ned)

2. Matthew Stafford, Georgia (Highland Park)

3. Todd Reesing, Kansas (Austin Lake Travis)

4. Brian Johnson, Utah (Baytown Lee)

5. Jevan Snead, Ole Miss (Stephenville)

6. Chase Holbrook, New Mexico State (Hurst L.D. Bell)

7. Chase Daniel, Missouri (Southlake Carroll)

8. Christian Ponder, Florida State (Colleyville Heritage)

9. Robert Griffin, Baylor (Copperas Cove)

10. Graham Harrell, Texas Tech (Ennis)

11. Jerrod Johnson, Texas A&M (Humble)

12. Casey Dick, Arkansas (Allen)

13. Case Keenum, Houston (Abilene Wylie)

14. Jarrett Lee, LSU (Brenham)

15. Giovanni Vizza, North Texas (San Antonio Alamo Heights)

16. Chase Clement, Rice (San Antonio Alamo Heights)

17. Bo Levi Mitchell, SMU (Katy)

18. Andy Dalton, TCU (Katy)

19. Nick Stephens, Tennessee (Flower Mound)

20. Kevin Moore, Tulane (Flower Mound Marcus)

21. Trevor Vittatoe, UTEP (Euless Trinity)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
Re: QB's From the State of Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:39:58 AM »
I don't understand why anyone is thinking that we are wasting our time in Texas.  Are we wasting our time in Florida too?  Maybe we should just try to get all the awesome talent in our own talent rich state.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 11:48:34 AM »
I don't think anybody would disagree that TX is normally loaded with talent.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 11:53:59 AM »
I don't think anybody would disagree that TX is normally loaded with talent.
You'd be surprised...

Unbridled pessimism is a hell of a drug.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
^^ What he said^^

I have already read and heard from some that we are making a mistake by recruiting kids from TX and that we shouldn't be doing this. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

RWS

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 12:07:12 PM »
^^ What he said^^

I have already read and heard from some that we are making a mistake by recruiting kids from TX and that we shouldn't be doing this. 
Don't get me wrong, I don't think recruiting just anybody from TX just because they are from there is a good idea. However, they do turn out an awful large amount of talent. Just ask Texas, Texas Tech, A&M, LSU, and Oklahoma.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 12:10:30 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I don't think recruiting just anybody from TX just because they are from there is a good idea. However, they do turn out an awful large amount of talent. Just ask Texas, Texas Tech, A&M, LSU, and Oklahoma.

You think?  I mean they could have some slow ass white boys like myself that had a hard time guarding the fucking water bottles, but I think that the coaches would stay away from them in the first place.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 12:20:50 PM »

I have already heard from some, "yeah, they look good on film, but how is the competition, can they play in the SEC....If we start to build a piepline to TX then we can hang it up, we will never win again...blah,blah,blah"

As AUChizad said: "Unbridled pessimism is a hell of a drug."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 12:27:07 PM »
Auburn's bread and butter, ham and gravy, biscuits and eggs, grits and sausage has traditionally (this means always) been in recruiting close to home. 

Where did the greatest players in Auburn history come from?  Cribbs, Sullivan, Bo, Terry (both), Carnell, etc. all came from Alabama.  Ronnie, James Brooks and tons of others came from Georgia.  Fullwood and half a billion other kids came from Florida.  Jason Campbell came from Mississippi. 

That's where Auburn will live and that's where Auburn will die. 

Chasing Texas is the worst strategy I can imagine and it just reinforces how stupid I think Chiz is. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

RWS

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 12:31:39 PM »
I have already heard from some, "yeah, they look good on film, but how is the competition, can they play in the SEC....If we start to build a piepline to TX then we can hang it up, we will never win again...blah,blah,blah"

As AUChizad said: "Unbridled pessimism is a hell of a drug."
If there is some badass that is a combination of Andre Smith and DJ Fluker in Alaska, I want him at Alabama. If there is some guy that is a combination of Julio Jones, AJ Green, and Rueben Randle and he lives in Maine, he can bring his ass to Alabama too. Who gives a shit where they are from, if they can play, they can play. I do think there is some merit to the argument of level of competition, etc. That is up to the coaches to say "Hey, this kid is blowing it up in 2A and is a beast, AND has all the tools to compete in the SEC.", or say, "Hey, this kid is blowing it up in the 2A but just isn't good enough by the standards of college ball." Just because a kid plays 2A or something doesn't automatically mean he's going to be horrible. He just as well could walk right in and fall flat on his face though. Thats where you hope like hell that your coaches can evaluate talent properly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 12:32:07 PM »
Auburn's bread and butter, ham and gravy, biscuits and eggs, grits and sausage has traditionally (this means always) been in recruiting close to home. 

Where did the greatest players in Auburn history come from?  Cribbs, Sullivan, Bo, Terry (both), Carnell, etc. all came from Alabama.  Ronnie, James Brooks and tons of others came from Georgia.  Fullwood and half a billion other kids came from Florida.  Jason Campbell came from Mississippi. 

Chasing Texas is the worst strategy I can imagine and it just reinforces how stupid I think Chiz is. 

Here's news...

We're STILL recruiting those areas...  We're just expanding into Texas.  What's so hard to understand about that, and what about that makes Chizik "stupid"?  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:33:39 PM by AuburnChopper2.0 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 12:32:41 PM »

Only because we've never had a pipeline into Texas.   :suicide:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 12:35:08 PM »
If there is some badass that is a combination of Andre Smith and DJ Fluker in Alaska, I want him at Alabama Auburn. If there is some guy that is a combination of Julio Jones, AJ Green, and Rueben Randle and he lives in Maine, he can bring his ass to Alabama Auburn too. Who gives a shit where they are from, if they can play, they can play. I do think there is some merit to the argument of level of competition, etc. That is up to the coaches to say "Hey, this kid is blowing it up in 2A and is a beast, AND has all the tools to compete in the SEC.", or say, "Hey, this kid is blowing it up in the 2A but just isn't good enough by the standards of college ball." Just because a kid plays 2A or something doesn't automatically mean he's going to be horrible. He just as well could walk right in and fall flat on his face though. Thats where you hope like hell that your coaches can evaluate talent properly.

Now, I agree with this.  Good points RWS
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 12:39:46 PM »
If there is some badass that is a combination of Andre Smith and DJ Fluker in Alaska, I want him at Alabama. If there is some guy that is a combination of Julio Jones, AJ Green, and Rueben Randle and he lives in Maine, he can bring his ass to Alabama too. Who gives a shit where they are from, if they can play, they can play. I do think there is some merit to the argument of level of competition, etc. That is up to the coaches to say "Hey, this kid is blowing it up in 2A and is a beast, AND has all the tools to compete in the SEC.", or say, "Hey, this kid is blowing it up in the 2A but just isn't good enough by the standards of college ball." Just because a kid plays 2A or something doesn't automatically mean he's going to be horrible. He just as well could walk right in and fall flat on his face though. Thats where you hope like hell that your coaches can evaluate talent properly.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree (did I really just type that), but some out there hate it and are going to hate it no matter what.  You will never be able to convince some that sometimes going out of the normal recruiting area and getting a kid or three is a good thing, no matter how good the kid might be.

Atta boy for using caps to start a sentence.  Even my blind ass didn't even have to strain my eyes this time.  Now if you just hit the space bar twice between sentences, by god you will have this posting thing whipped.   :thumbsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 12:42:33 PM »

Well sure that has been the bread and butter.  We have never really had the option before.  Just because you pick up a couple of kids from Texas does that mean you can no longer recruit locally or it is no longer your bread and butter?  
That argument is all hat and no cattle in my book.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 12:43:54 PM »
 That argument is all hat and no cattle in my book.

Well played sir.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 12:51:29 PM »

Texas High School Football - yeah, so stupid and so weak that they would never do a tv show about it... out here, TXHS ball is as much a religion as college ball is.

These high school players aren't taught to play Big 12 brand of football - they are taught to play FOOTBALL.  Either they have a gift or they don't .  And location has nothing to do with it.  I have to agree wtih rws - I don't care WHAT their zip code is - if they can play ball, I want them at Auburn. 

Kaos, you mean to tell me that you would have turned down Vince Young - the HIGH SCHOOL/COLLEGE Vince Young, not the NFL headcase - had he stated that he wanted to go to Auburn? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 01:07:46 PM »
Kaos, you mean to tell me that you would have turned down Vince Young - the HIGH SCHOOL/COLLEGE Vince Young, not the NFL headcase - had he stated that he wanted to go to Auburn? 

Nope.  I'm saying that Jason Campbell was the QB Auburn got, not Vince (who would have been wasted in Tuberville and Borges scheme anyway). 

Getting an occasional kid from Texas, California, Wisconsin or Idaho doesn't bother me.  If you're talking about a strategy of focusing on Texas because that's where these new coaches came from, I'm telling you now that it is a fail. 

You can't serve two masters.  You can't have your coaches out burning up the desert in Texas hoping to compete with Texas, OU, Tech, A&M, Nebraska, Baylor, SMU, Arkansas, North Texas, TCU, New Mexico, Arizona and the rest and still do an adequate job of maintaining your strengths. 

In the end you'll lose on both ends. 

The Chiz tried to recruit Texas for Iowa State too.  While it will be easier to get a kid to come to Auburn than to an Iowa State type team, you're still looking at a difficult sell.  Why?  Because mom and dad want to be able to come see their son play and they don't want to have to buy a plane ticket to do so every weekend.

But whatever.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:10:02 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »
Nope.  I'm saying that Jason Campbell was the QB Auburn got, not Vince (who would have been wasted in Tuberville and Borges scheme anyway). 

Getting an occasional kid from Texas, California, Wisconsin or Idaho doesn't bother me.  If you're talking about a strategy of focusing on Texas because that's where these new coaches came from, I'm telling you now that it is a fail. 

You can't serve two masters.  You can't have your coaches out burning up the desert in Texas hoping to compete with Texas, OU, Tech, A&M, Nebraska, Baylor, SMU, Arkansas, North Texas, TCU, New Mexico, Arizona and the rest and still do an adequate job of maintaining your strengths. 

In the end you'll lose on both ends. 

The Chiz tried to recruit Texas for Iowa State too.  While it will be easier to get a kid to come to Auburn than to an Iowa State type team, you're still looking at a difficult sell.  Why?  Because mom and dad want to be able to come see their son play and they don't want to have to buy a plane ticket to do so every weekend.

But whatever.

Auburn needs to stay in Al, MS, GA, and North Florida.

Signed,
Frank Sanders
Dillard High School
Class of 91
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 01:18:07 PM »

They're doing it now fairly successfuly with limited time.  What makes you think they can't maintain, or do an effective job with more time?  Other universities recruit nationally, what makes you think Auburn can't?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions