Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

So, is the NCAA investigating uat now?

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
So, is the NCAA investigating uat now?
« on: January 20, 2009, 12:41:38 AM »
This article cites sources (probably IMan), lol.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:26 pm EST

NFLPA: Alabama hasn't contacted us
By Jason Cole
A spokesman for the NFL Players Association said that neither the University of Alabama nor the Alabama state attorney general's office has been in contact with the union regarding any actions by agents that may have led to the suspension of star left tackle Andre Smith for the Sugar Bowl.

"No, we haven't heard from the university, from the attorney general or anyone else regarding any agents," NFLPA spokesman Carl Francis said.

A blog item by Alabama beat writer Ian Rapoport of the Birmingham News indicated recruiter Mel Bratton, who works for DeBartolo Sports & Entertainment, was being investigated by the NFL regarding Smith's suspension. However, the NFLPA, not the league, monitors agent activity.

Smith, a junior who is widely considered a first-round draft pick and potential top-10 selection, is expected to declare for the NFL draft. He was suspended this week by coach Nick Saban for violation of team rules and is missing the Sugar Bowl.

Brian Kopp, an attorney with the DeBartolo company, said only: "It is our policy not to discuss any player who is not eligible for the draft. It's also our company's policy to follow all rules and regulations regarding agent activity."

Under NFLPA guidelines, agents and/or representatives of agents are not allowed to contact underclassmen. Any agency that does faces discipline from the union.

The Tuscaloosa News reported that the Alabama attorney general is looking into the matter because of state laws prohibiting contact between agents and players. Finally, a source told Yahoo! Sports that the NCAA also is looking into the matter. 

Another source with knowledge of the situation said Smith was suspended after failing to give the school all information it requested. According to the source, the school had been informed that Smith was receiving cash and other benefits from an agent.

Saban has given no specifics about why Smith was suspended.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/around_the_nfl/post/NFLPA-Alabama-hasn-t-contacted-us?urn=nfl,131951
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Re: So, is the NCAA investigating uat now?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 12:43:34 AM »
Antonio Langham.

I said it a couple of weeks ago and I will keep reminding you guys to think of that name in relation to Andre Smith's situation. That is all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 07:58:12 AM »
I'm noticing that Yahoo Sports is not Alabama's friend.   What does that mean?  I don't know.  It's interesting to see follow up.  They are also keeping the USC thing afloat from time to time.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 09:02:17 AM »
As much as I would love to see something upset dinky's apple cart, the NCAA would become huge hypocrites if they leave USC alone then go after teh Tahd.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Birmingham

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 09:40:27 AM »
Did Alabama send Antonio Langham home 5 days before the Sugar bowl after making the trip?  Unfortunately, no matter how much you wish this case would be like that one it just wasn't. 

Keep following the story and update us each year, Navy.  You and Yahoo Sports will get to the bottom of this, just keep reminding yourself of Antonio Langham.

(being told to not forget the name Antonio Langham in regards to the Andre Smith deal is like being a juror in a tax ivasion case and being told not to forget BTK)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions