Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Chizik convinces Coleman to stay!

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Chizik convinces Coleman to stay!
« on: January 04, 2009, 02:59:09 PM »
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1231060517138980.xml&coll=2

AUBURN - Antonio Coleman says he likes what he's hearing from new Auburn coach Gene Chizik, so much so that he's decided to return for his senior season rather than turn pro.

The All-SEC defensive end said Saturday he's decided not to submit his name for the NFL Draft.

"I have talked to Coach Chizik and he's got a lot of ideas about what he's going to do at Auburn. I want to be a part of that," Coleman said, as reported by Inside the Auburn Tigers and AuburnSports.com Web sites.

Coleman made the announcement to the cheers of family and friends at a press conference at his alma mater, Williamson High School in Mobile. Coleman said a talk with Chizik and recruiter and former coach Joe Whitt helped him decide to stay.

"Every word out of Coach Chizik's mouth, I believed. He talked about if I come back I could be a first-round draft pick next year," Coleman said.

Another standout junior defensive lineman, tackle Sen'Derrick Marks, last Tuesday said he would enter the draft, though he has until Jan. 15 to reconsider. Defensive back Jerraud Powers has asked for an NFL evaluation. His intentions are not known.

Coleman's announcement provided a quick bonus. Coleman's nephew, defensive lineman Terrence Coleman of Williamson, re-committed to Auburn after wavering following the Auburn coaching change. Antonio Coleman told his nephew that they should play together at Auburn.

Antonio Coleman re-committed in another way as well - after already graduating from Auburn, he said he'll stay to work on his master's degree.

"You know the NFL stands for `Not For Long.' I've strived to get my books; that's the first thing I do," Coleman said. "They gave me a scholarship to play football, but football isn't going to last forever. You've got to have a backup plan."

Coleman had 10.5 tackles for losses last season, including a team-best six sacks. He finished with 46 tackles. In 2007, he had 18 tackles for losses, including 8.5 sacks. Check out Goldberg's blog at blog.al.com/goldmine.

E-mail: cgoldberg@bhamnews.com

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Greaseyweasel

• Love Auburn, Hate chizik. 'nuff said.
Re: Chizik convinces Coleman to stay!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 06:27:11 PM »
I wonder how much dye paid this time?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You've got to learn to stand for something

or you'll fall for anything.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 07:21:19 PM »
I'd say CPD didn't pay anyone anything.  This was between AC and Coach Chizik....and I agree whole heartly, Jumbo and I even talked about this the past couple of weeks that AC should stay because he would be a first or second round pick if he did.
AC was quoted as saying that he was Projected to go somewhere between 2nd and 3rd....I've seen somewhere between 2nd and 4th.  Anytime you're projected between the 2nd Round and the 3rd or 4th Rounds, there's a Really, Really big possibility that you'll drop a round or two lower than your projection.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 05:26:05 AM »
I wonder how much dye paid this time?
I hope more than a few hundred ER got!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.