Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

"You want a team chaplain at ISU?...Not no, but HELL NO!"

JohnDeere

• Pledge
"You want a team chaplain at ISU?...Not no, but HELL NO!"
« on: December 15, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »

Is this the man who really runs ISU?

http://iowastate.scout.com/2/647283.html

Most of the time we leave the so-called culture war off the pages of our website. However, when it intersects with ISU sports we feel as if it's our duty to comment. This week, our publisher introduces you to Hector Avalos (pictured left), who just might be the most powerful figure on the ISU campus. His next target is Gene Chizik and the ISU football team.

Who is Dr. Avalos? Dr. Avalos is the militant and activist atheist professor within ISU’s religious studies department. That’s right. ISU has a militant and activist atheist teaching in its religious studies department. Better yet, if you’re a taxpayer here in the state of Iowa you’re actually paying for it. Congratulations on participating in the fleecing of America.

I know what you’re thinking, cause it’s the same thing I was thinking when I first heard about this. You’re thinking, "Dude, why would an angry atheist (and is there any other kind) want to be teaching in the religious

The new man in charge of Iowa State football strives to live his life with eternity in mind. Gene Chizik is a man with a strong Christian faith and Judeo-Christian value system, which puts him squarely at odds with Mr. Avalos. He didn’t pick this fight, he didn’t even want to. But living out your Christian faith has a tendency to attract folks like Hector Avalos in this world, like a dog returns to its own vomit.

And unlike today’s modern politically correct nonsense that "faith is a private thing," Coach Chizik kicks it old school when it comes to the absolute truth that defines who he is as a man. He believes it should be the foundational principle that shapes who he is as a husband, father, and yes even a football coach.

For some of these young men, Coach Chizik will be the closest thing to a father they’ve ever had up until this point. As a leader of young men, Coach Chizik takes seriously his role as mentor for a generation of football players that will go on to become our neighbors, fathers to the next generation of our children, and members of our community someday soon. Getting there as a young man is often a sloppy process, I know it was for me.

Until recently my life didn’t make sense, despite the fact that from the outside looking in people probably thought I was pretty well off. By the age of 28 I had a daily radio show, regularly appeared on television, was married to a loyal wife, and had a beautiful baby daughter. I had some money (when I wasn’t getting fired). I had some notoriety. I had some stuff. I wasn’t even 30. But still something huge was missing. It all still seemed so meaningless.

Coach Chizik understands that the only way to ultimately live a meaningful life, and there’s nothing a man craves more than a legacy, is to have a healthy relationship with the Maker. It’s when we don’t that we have a tendency to make bad decisions, the sorts of decisions that can irreparably damage our lives and the lives of those around us. I know that I am a far different father, husband, and man in the years since I got to know my Father than I was when I was a spiritual orphan. I’m certainly not perfect, but I’m no longer a lost soul, either.

That’s why Coach Chizik has helped to bring in and promote the "In the Zone" event coming to Ames on June 23rd, which he’ll be speaking at. It’s also why Coach Chizik wants a team chaplain to be a full-time staff position within the football program.

Hector Avalos’ ignores his Maker, and instead worships the idols of science and reason. They can be useful tools that shouldn’t be dismissed, but all they can tell us about this life is how. They certainly can’t tell us why. Mr. Avalos doesn’t want to know why, because if he acknowledges the answer to why it will have repercussions for the choices he makes in his life right on down the line. And when you’re asphyxiating on pride you don’t even consider the why for a second.

So Mr. Avalos and his band of 99 other reprobate minds have circulated a petition on campus, urging Dr. Geoffroy to deny Coach Chizik’s request – which is supported by athletics director Jamie Pollard – for a team chaplain. Predictably, you’re hearing all the high-minded talk of tolerance and pluralism; how the taxpayers shouldn’t be paying for a "religious office."

Some of these gutless tactics even made it into a recent sports column in the Des Moines Register. Why do I say gutless? Because they’re covering up their real motives. They don’t have the testicular fortitude to just come out and really say what they don’t like about it. So I’ll do it for them.

This isn’t about the separation of church and state, and this isn’t about tolerance. This is about one thing and one thing only—the separation of Christ and state.

He’s the greatest phenomena that ever crossed the horizon of this world. He’s the centerpiece of western civilization. He’s unique…he’s unparalleled…he’s unprecedented. For folks like Mr. Avalos, try as the might they can’t get him out of their minds, and they can’t outlive him nor can they live without him.

What Mr. Avalos, and others like him, really fear is that Coach Chizik’s plan for a team chaplain may inspire a generation of young men wearing the Cyclone uniform to reconsider their eternal destiny, which will cause them to reconsider how to live their temporal lives on this planet. If they do that they may not vote the way folks like Mr. Avalos prefer, nor will they likely live the way folks like Mr. Avalos do. And when you’re of the mindset of a Mr. Avalos and are convinced that this life is all there is, you will fight to the grave for it.

That’s why Mr. Avalos and his same gang of 99 are trying to derail giving tenure to Guillermo Gonzalez, even though Professor Gonzalez doesn’t teach intelligent design in his ISU classes the way an atheist like Dr. Avalos teaches religion. Professor Gonzalez’ beliefs are not any different than Francis Collins’ are, and he’s the man that runs the human genome project, probably the most important scientific

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JohnDeere

• Pledge
Re: "You want a team chaplain at ISU?...Not no, but HELL NO!"
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 05:30:06 PM »
http://iowastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=680527

Care not if you must about the actual presence of a team chaplain for Iowa State football. But don't dismiss the symbolic significance of all this. It matters a lot. Has the status quo really changed at ISU or is athletics going to be put in its place once again? You don't suck hind teat for 114 years without choosing to do so. Iowa State has been its own worst enemy when it comes to athletic success and through decades of losing, the campus culture that developed is somewhere between "that's just how it is" and "that's how it should be." There's reason to think it's changing, but allowing someone other than the football coach to make operational decisions about the football program will be extremely damaging evidence that nothing is really changing at Iowa State.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 09:22:23 AM »
Where is brother Chette in all of this.  Is he still on board?  Anyone know or heard?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 09:37:33 AM »
Where is brother Chette in all of this.  Is he still on board?  Anyone know or heard?
Luckily he is not an employee of the Athletic Department, so I don't think his job is in jeopardy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.