Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Turner Gill

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Turner Gill
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 07:58:10 AM »
I would be very please with Turner Gill. 

Kaos, make it so.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 08:20:48 AM »
Turner Gill is right there with 3-4 candidates I'd be pumped about.  Brian Kelley may have been giving standard coach speak, but he said he was taking his name out of the running for any openings because he wanted Cincy to be thought of as an elite coaching position.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 09:23:45 AM »

He's as good as gone. Somewhere...Hoping it's to Auburn...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 09:48:11 AM »

He's as good as gone. Somewhere...Hoping it's to Auburn...

Agreed.  He's a goner from Buffalo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 09:52:07 AM »
Agreed.  He's a goner from Buffalo.

I could be persuaded to like this hire.

In an uninspiring bunch of candidates, he stands out so far.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 09:53:38 AM »
I think while Gill has a good shot.  However, the silence from the PTB and Will Muschamp is deafening.  It's the style of Carr & Associates to flood the candidate talk so that the real candidate can be addressed directly without too much coverage to muddy the water.   I think Gill brings the necessary tools, and I'm not saying that he's not a real candidate and that it isn't going to happen, but I believe it's Muschamp, and the deals are being worked behind the scenes, if not done for the most part.  UT would be the biggest hang up there, not the relationship of Muschamp and Jacobs (one reason why Tubs is still in on everything at the moment).

JMO...   Look for it to be CWM.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 09:58:57 AM »
I could be persuaded to like this hire.

In an uninspiring bunch of candidates, he stands out so far.

Agree Wes. He seems like a hell of a dude! A little green, but that's ok. I think if AUburn can get someone in here that is willing to work their ass off, shows some fire and emotion, and can surround themselves with good coaches...Auburn will have made the right decision to let Tubs go. I will be pissed if we trade Tubs for a guy like Paul Johnson...they are one and the same...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 10:40:52 AM »
A little green, but that's ok.

Let's not start bringing race into this already. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 11:55:44 AM »
That video is from 2007.  Not saying he's not gone this year, cause I hope like Hell we get him, but he certainly remained at Buffalo after saying everything he said here...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »
OK...I think I may be sold on this guy. He sounds pretty freaking good the more and more I read!

Turner Gill has already accomplished a lot in his 17-year coaching career.

In his 13 years as an assistant at Nebraska, Gill was a part of three national championship teams and coached a Heisman Trophy winner. But what he's accomplished as a head coach in just three years at Buffalo might be even more impressive.

Gill, 46, inherited a Buffalo team that had won just eight conference games the previous eight years and led them to the Mid-American Conference championship in his third season.

Rodney McKissic, who has covered the Bulls for the Buffalo News since 2001, witnessed the turnaround first-hand.

"I don't think people around the country understand where this program was until Turner Gill got here," said McKissic. "It was the worst in the country and he was able to turn it around very quickly. I thought it was going to take five years just for them to become competitive and he ends up winning a championship in three."

Sean Callahan, who covered Gill for Rivals.com affiliate HuskersIllustrated.com, is not surprised by Gill's success with the Bulls.

"When Nebraska was the top program in the nation in the 90's he was considered the hot name on this staff," Callahan said. "He had a lot of opportunities to leave Nebraska. In fact, Bob Stoops offered him an offensive coordinator job in Norman before he offered it to Mike Leach at one time."

Callahan said Gill is an icon in Nebraska.

"You'll never hear anyone say a bad thing about Turner Gill," Callahan said. "He is a beloved guy among his players. A lot of people say he's the most popular Nebraska football player in history.

"Tom Osborne was the best man at Turner Gill's wedding so he's very close to him. He's just one of those guys that's respected by everybody. People around here are just thrilled to see what he did at Buffalo this year."

Gill has become a prominent name in Auburn's search for a new head coach. Auburn received permission to speak with Gill Friday and conducted a phone interview Saturday. Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs is expected to meet face-to-face with Gill Monday or Tuesday in New York.

The interview should be old-hat for Gill, whose reputation as a top-notch recruiter has followed him from Nebraska to Buffalo. A native of Fort Worth, Texas, Gill recruited the Lone Star state during his stint with the Cornhuskers.

"When he first got here, he was signing kids from Texas, California and Arizona. That was unheard of at Buffalo," McKissic said. "He loves to recruit. He loves to get in that living room and get those parents to get to know him and get the kids to feel a sense of family, which is big with him."

McKissic said Gill puts a big emphasis on speed and skill in recruiting.

"Turner is going to get out there and grind," he said. "He's going to make the calls. He's going to go out and see the kids.

"He's going to get after it on the recruiting trail. There's no doubt about it."

Gill ran the triple option as both a quarterback and coach at Nebraska. But he runs a more multiple offense at Buffalo.

"He came in and saw the talent he had (at Buffalo) and he put an offense in place to suit that talent, which is key," McKissic said. "It's very much a multiple offense. Sometimes you're going to see a lot of 4-wide spread. Sometimes you're going to see a little spread option. Sometimes you're going to see a power-I.

"Let's say he gets that Auburn job. He's going to look at that talent, evaluate it, and put an offense in place according to that talent."
  :thumbsup:

After a 42-24 win over No. 12 and previously unbeaten Ball State Friday, Buffalo (8-5) is scheduled to play Connecticut in the International Bowl Jan. 3.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:44:37 PM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 05:00:35 PM »
This guy sounds too good for Jay Jacobs to hire.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 08:16:40 PM »
This guy sounds too good for Jay Jacobs to hire.
I hope your wrong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Jumbo

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 12:41:27 PM »
Charles Goldberg of the Bham News for first reporting on his blog that Auburn has interviewed Louisiana Tech head coach Derek Dooley. The son of Legendary Georgia coach and Auburn graduate Vince Dooley.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 12:53:29 PM »
If all these reports are true, I'm sure hoping they're taking the time to do this thing right (If that's possible for them) and finding the best fit for Auburn. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 01:06:28 PM »
Charles Goldberg of the Bham News for first reporting on his blog that Auburn has interviewed Louisiana Tech head coach Derek Dooley. The son of Legendary Georgia coach and Auburn graduate Vince Dooley.

What about the LaMonroe coach?  At least we know that he can outcoach Saban.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »
What about the LaMonroe coach?  At least we know that he can outcoach Saban.
Saban blocked that hire through finebaum.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2008, 03:22:32 PM »
I'm totally gay for Gill.

Click this
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008, 03:28:37 PM »
I'm totally gay for Gill.

Click this

I gotta go clean up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 03:47:38 PM »
I'd be curious to see how ESPN could continue to ignore us if they're nuts about Gill?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 05:33:47 PM »
I gotta go clean up.

Twice in one day?  You've exceeded my expectations.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions