Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Need help gathering old (or new) Army memorablia and gear

Need help gathering old (or new) Army memorablia and gear
« on: November 28, 2008, 08:55:33 PM »
My aunt, who lost a son (my cousin) a few years ago due to an undiagnosed illness, while he was on holiday leave from infantry school training at Ft. Benning, has just opened a restaurant named "Benning's". She has some photos up on the walls of the restaurant of my cousin's boot camp, but she is wanting to add any Army related and Ft. Benning related gear that she can. Things such as old kevlar, uniforms, camo netting, ruck sacks, flags, ammo pouches, etc. Items that are easy to see on the all.

I have my jump boots and a spare black beret that I am going to give her. I don't have the new khaki berets that the 75th Ranger Regiment now wears because we were still wearing the black berets when I was in before the regular Army went to black and the 75th changed to khaki. So, if somebody has a spare khaki or maroon (Airborne) beret, that would be cool also. I also am going to make a shadow box of all the Ft. Benning specific units, from boot camp, infantry school, jump school, Ranger school, infantry, and all battalions of the 75th Ranger Regiment to put on the wall.

If any of you have any old Army gear like I mentioned, or unit flags related to Ft. Benning that you would like to donate or sell for a decent price, please send me a PM.

This restaurant is in Decatur, AL which is not a military town but within an hour's drive to the Redstone Arsenal and Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville. The restaurant would be a tribute and sort of a museum to the Army and specifically the history and units of Ft. Benning. Thanks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
Re: Need help gathering old (or new) Army memorablia and gear
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 06:47:05 PM »
The interwebs and the googles can be used to find lots of things...
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/
http://www.1starmy.com/
http://www.armynavysales.com/default.aspx
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 06:52:47 PM »
I've got a small collection of unit patches if you are interested.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:07:50 PM »
The interwebs and the googles can be used to find lots of things...
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/
http://www.1starmy.com/
http://www.armynavysales.com/default.aspx

The idea is to get some stuff from people that we know that served, for nostalgia's sake, and it give is a little more of a personal touch if you know it come straight from a veteran. What we can't get like that, I know of the tons of other ways to get it through surplus.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 07:14:20 PM »
I've got a small collection of unit patches if you are interested.
What all do you have? The gear can come from any unit served, but as far as unit patches, we are trying to collect all the different units at Ft. Benning.

I don't want anybody to get rid of anything personal though. I have a few things of my own going up on the wall, but I also have some things that are too personal do put up and take the chance of losing.

One thing I am probably just going to get straight from surplus is camo netting. That really does not have to be something personal and I don't know many of us vets that have camo netting just laying around.

I have one guy that is going to scan a copy of his Pathfinder School class picture and send it to me. So if any of you attended any of the schools at Ft. Benning and scan them in and send a copy, that would be cool also.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 07:49:54 PM »
I'll have to look and see what I have.  They are at my office.  People used to bring me unit patches from wherever, and I just hung on to em.  None are personal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 08:24:24 PM »
Thanks bro. If you are not sure who they are with and really have no desire to keep them, you could still send them to me and I'll go through them. There are so many different units from the division level on down at Ft. Benning, there is not telling how many hint patches I might end up with on that wall.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 12:21:41 AM »
My aunt, who lost a son (my cousin) a few years ago due to an undiagnosed illness, while he was on holiday leave from infantry school training at Ft. Benning, has just opened a restaurant named "Benning's". She has some photos up on the walls of the restaurant of my cousin's boot camp, but she is wanting to add any Army related and Ft. Benning related gear that she can. Things such as old kevlar, uniforms, camo netting, ruck sacks, flags, ammo pouches, etc. Items that are easy to see on the all.

I live in Columbus and there are a ton of surplus stores on Victory drive here right outside the Ft. Benning gates. If you need anything in particular, I will be more than happy to take a trip to the surplus store for you and deliver you some stuff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 12:25:51 AM »
I live in Columbus and there are a ton of surplus stores on Victory drive here right outside the Ft. Benning gates. If you need anything in particular, I will be more than happy to take a trip to the surplus store for you and deliver you some stuff.
I may have to take you up on that if I don't get to make it to Ft. Benning before then. My wife has never been and I have not been there since they built the Ranger Memorial. I have been thinking about getting back there to visit and take some pictures. If I have to wind up buying some unit related stuff, I can get most of that from Ranger Joe's.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions