Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Jim Grobe to Arkansas?

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Jim Grobe to Arkansas?
« on: December 06, 2007, 05:22:09 AM »
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — A University of Arkansas private fundraising arm approved a salary supplement Wednesday for Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe, a strong indication that Grobe will replace Houston Nutt as the Razorbacks' coach.

There was no word from the university, however, on whether Grobe would replace Nutt, who quit Nov. 26 and was hired almost immediately by Mississippi.   
Jim Grobe's Demon Deacons won the ACC title in 2006.
The Razorback Foundation raises funds privately for Arkansas athletic programs and pays coaches amounts far beyond their regular state salaries. Nutt, for instance, made $330,000 annually from the state but had a compensation package worth $1.5 million a year - much of the extra coming from Foundation funds.

Ralph Bradbury, a member of the Razorback Foundation's board of directors, confirmed Wednesday night the foundation had approved a deal for Grobe. He said he couldn't confirm for sure that Grobe's hiring was final because that issue remains in the hands of athletic director Jeff Long and Grobe himself.

"There's absolutely no way I could confirm that it's a done deal," Bradbury said.

The Morning News of Northwest Arkansas reported on its Web site Wednesday night that Grobe would be Arkansas' next coach and would likely be introduced Thursday.

Grobe and Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman did not immediately return calls seeking comment. Neither did Arkansas Chancellor John White.

Grobe was The Associated Press Coach of the Year last year, when he led the perennially downtrodden Demon Deacons to the Orange Bowl. Although they lost, they finished 11-3 with their first ACC title in 36 years.

This year, Wake Forest (8-4) will play Connecticut in the Meineke Bowl in Charlotte, N.C., on Dec. 29.

Nutt was in his 10th season at Arkansas when he left. He went 75-48 with the Razorbacks, but never won a Southeastern Conference title.

Arkansas (8-4) faces Missouri in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas on Jan. 1. Defensive coordinator Reggie Herring took over as interim coach after Nutt's departure.

Grobe is in his seventh year as Wake Forest's coach. He's 45-39 with the Demon Deacons. Grobe was also the coach at Ohio University for six seasons. His overall career record is 78-72-1.

Bradbury's hesitation to confirm Grobe's actual hiring is understandable. The Razorbacks hired Dana Altman as basketball coach earlier this year. Altman then changed his mind and went back to Creighton the next day.

"You can have a press conference and still not be the coach," Bradbury said.

For more coverage of Arkansas, visit HawgSports.com.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Re: Jim Grobe to Arkansas?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 03:05:59 PM »
Just another coach in a long line using us to get a raise.  Not sure who we're going to end up with.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 03:19:48 PM »
Just another coach in a long line using us to get a raise.  Not sure who we're going to end up with.

Time to get serious about Coach Kline and Farmer Fran.

[attachment deleted by admin]
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 04:53:17 PM »
Alligators are ornery because they gots all dem teeth and no toothbrush.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 02:57:47 AM »
Let's kick some names and take some ass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 08:53:07 AM »

"Momma's WRONG AGAIN."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau

• Judicial Chair
  • On a gravy train with biscuit wheels.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 10:33:27 AM »
"Momma's WRONG AGAIN."

Medulla  Oblon-gata.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Life can really kick your ass.  I only have a vague recollection of when it wasn't kickin' mine.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 10:51:39 AM »
Medulla  Oblon-gata.
No, Colonel Sanders...you're wrong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions