Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Covers of songs that are better than the original/best known version...

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Covers of songs that are better than the original/best known version...
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2008, 09:38:25 AM »
"Don't You Forget About Me" - Billy Idol

Originally done for "The Breakfast Club" by Simple Minds
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2008, 09:39:37 AM »
And back to what sparked the side-argument:

"All Along The Watchtower" (Bob Dylan) was best covered by Jimi Hendrix. Hands down. A billion other hippie bands have done it in the style of Dylan, and all of them suck. Including The Dave's.

Quite agree.

Although, anything by Dylan covered by anyone else -- whether that be NKOTB or William Hung or William Shatner -- would be an improvement on the original.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2008, 09:46:40 AM »
"I Shot the Sheriff" - original by Bob Marley remake by Eric Clapton
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2008, 10:14:03 AM »
Quite agree.

Although, anything by Dylan covered by anyone else -- whether that be NKOTB or William Hung or William Shatner -- would be an improvement on the original.

SHATNER ROCKS! 

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:16:13 AM by GarMan »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2008, 10:31:30 AM »
"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - Joan Baez original
Led Zeppelin did the only version worth a shit

"Come Together" - The Beatles
Aerosmith remake

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2008, 10:41:54 AM »
And back to what sparked the side-argument:

"All Along The Watchtower" (Bob Dylan) was best covered by Jimi Hendrix. Hands down. A billion other hippie bands have done it in the style of Dylan, and all of them suck. Including The Dave's.

I agree Chad, that is pretty good. t is just a preference of mine, but I like to hear more than drums, a bass guitar, and an electric quitar in my music...

This is DMB version with Warren Haynes as a quest. Much better IMO. And this isn't even in the top 5 versions I have heard of it.

I am not denying that Hendrix did the song well...it is just not my style. I like him, but I would rather listen to the DMB version any day of the week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2008, 10:43:11 AM »
"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - Joan Baez original
Led Zeppelin did the only version worth a shit

The Zepplin version is one of my all time favorite songs!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2008, 10:44:48 AM »
Speaking of Warren Hayes...another good cover by DMB is Cortez the Killer....so fucking bad ass...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2008, 11:01:53 AM »
I like him, but I would rather listen to the DMB version any day of the week.

Congratulations on coming out of the closet.  I know that must have been difficult.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
Turn the Page...Metallica/Seger
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2008, 01:31:32 PM »
This is DMB version with Warren Haynes as a quest. Much better IMO. And this isn't even in the top 5 versions I have heard of it.

I am not denying that Hendrix did the song well...it is just not my style. I like him, but I would rather listen to the DMB version any day of the week.

That is the absolute gayest shit I have ever seen in my life.  You like that homosexual queer fag's STYLE better than Hendrix??  What the hell is wrong with you?  What color panties do you wear on Tuesday? Do you prefer tampons or pads during "that time"? 

Wow.  Speechless.  That is just a godawful rendition of that song.  Somebody should have come on stage and kicked that fucking Matthews fairy in the nuts when he started mewling a song that by rights should be burning up some amps. What a fucking homo. 

I agree Chad, that is pretty good. t is just a preference of mine, but I like to hear more than drums, a bass guitar, and an electric quitar in my music...

Yes, you appear to prefer fags caterwauling in your "music".   I cannot tell you how much his version of that song blows gigantic monkey nuts.  Hendrix should crawl out of his grave, yank off a thigh bone and beat that cocksucker to death with it. It is one of the worst things I have ever heard. I can't get over how stunningly hideous that was.  The fucking Pickle Surprise guy is better and less queer than that. 

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:40:33 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2008, 01:46:26 PM »
Turn the Page...Metallica/Seger
Metlallica's version of that song with awful.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2008, 01:50:16 PM »

Just thank God that Dave Matthews didn't butcher that one, too or we'd be "treated" to a video of him bellowing and wiggling his knee through the whole damn thing. 

If I ever was held at gunpoint and forced to go to one of his concerts, I'd take the risk and the bullet, get me a shovel and start whacking that chump repeatedly in the face.  My reaction to his garbage is almost as vitriolic as my response to anything crimson. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2008, 02:02:19 PM »
DMB.  Loved in coffee shops from one end of Tuscaloosa to the other.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 02:36:26 PM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2008, 02:29:13 PM »

Actually, I agree with you.  It was "With awful".  Despite the thread topic, I was just trying to recall famous songs that were covered.  I hate that song no matter who does it...period.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2008, 03:30:31 PM »
Actually, I agree with you.  It was "With awful".  Despite the thread topic, I was just trying to recall famous songs that were covered.  I hate that song no matter who does it...period.

was would have been the best choice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2008, 04:13:46 PM »
If I ever was held at gunpoint and forced to go to one of his concerts, I'd take the risk and the bullet, get me a shovel and start whacking that chump repeatedly in the face.  My reaction to his garbage is almost as vitriolic as my response to anything crimson. 

And if I was ever forced to go to a AC/DC concert, I would let my mullet grow out, throw on the jean shorts and cut off t-shirt, jump in my favorite car with the 12's in the back

drive over to my buddies house

and pick up my buddy

so we could rock and roll all night....and party everyday...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2008, 04:29:44 PM »
I haven't been reading this thread, but just skimmed through it and I will have to agree with WE on the subject of Dave Matthews!!  "Dave" (as chad put it) is what I call "musically talented", just like Hendrix, Santana, Eric Clapton, Robert Plant, etc...   Just because you dont like the music does not mean that you can not appreciate his talent...and yes he is talented!!! I fucking hate oprea, but the people that can SING oprea, I think are very musically talented and I appreciate that!

I am not being a smart ass when I say this but, please someone explain to me how Dave Matthews is gay???  Is it because a majority of his following is female?  Is it because he doesn't play Power chords and fucking blow fire out of his mouth (btw, i think is pretty bad ass and marketing genious)...I am just curious.

I like a lot of bands with Zeppelin probably being my favorite, I just don't understand why listening to "Dave" is gay.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 04:53:41 PM by lifesapplepie »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2008, 04:47:27 PM »
Fuck me with a rusty chainsaw for not anticipating the suck into which this thread would devolve...but, there's no unringing that bell.

If you want to talk about shittastic covers, then talk about Jessica Simpson caterwauling her way through "Take My Breath Away", which did the near-impossible...took an otherwise garden-variety pop song and made it utterly unlistenable.

Also, Celine Dion should be forcefed about 832 cheeseburgers and then given a pan of Ex-lax brownies for covering "You Shook Me All Night Long"...horrendous.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"If you're looking for sympathy, it's in the dictionary between shit and syphilis."

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2008, 05:22:41 PM »
"Dave" (as chad put it) is what I call "musically talented", just like Hendrix, Santana, Eric Clapton, Robert Plant, etc...   Just because you dont like the music does not mean that you can not appreciate his talent...and yes he is talented!!! I fucking hate oprea, but the people that can SING oprea, I think are very musically talented and I appreciate that!

Let's be careful there.  Listing "Dave" with all of those names in the same paragraph is like equating Richard Simmons to Arnold Schwarzenegger...

I suppose that both are talented, if that makes you feel better...

I am not being a smart ass when I say this but, please someone explain to me how Dave Matthews is gay??? 

As they say, he was probably born that way, but I wouldn't want to speculate any further than that.  It's probably a birth defect of some sort.  Some would argue there's a gay gene. 

I just don't understand why listening to "Dave" is gay.

We used to hear the same thing about Culture Club and Boy George, Elton John, George Michael, Village People, RuPaul...  The gay community has adopted little "Dave" as another one of their favorite boy-toys.  It doesn't make you a bad person, just a gay one! 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand