Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Covers of songs that are better than the original/best known version...

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Covers of songs that are better than the original/best known version...
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
FINALLY...some other people who don't think Dave Matthews is freakin' god.  As a quasi-musician myself, I totally understand the talent and originality.  But the music itself sux.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 03:19:03 PM »
"Live and let Die"  Original by McCartney and Wings kick ass one by G-n-R.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 04:53:38 PM »
FINALLY...some other people who don't think Dave Matthews is freakin' god.  As a quasi-musician myself, I totally understand the talent and originality.  But the music itself sux.   

Aside from being an absolute pencil-dick, Dave Matthews is only a quasi-musician at best...  I find the guy absolutely annoying. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 04:56:46 PM »
Aside from being an absolute pencil-dick, Dave Matthews is only a quasi-musician at best...  I find the guy absolutely annoying. 

Speak the truth brother. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 05:23:21 PM »
I like him...good on the guitar, his band gets to do a lot of their own stuff in his songs, he writes his own songs, and he is a good lyracist. I liked him a lot better back in the day. He hasn't come out with anything remotely decent since "before these crowded streets. Busted Stuff was good, but the original Lily White Sessions was a lot better...

I like his old music though. We have hashed it out over on the other site before and if you don't lke his music that's fine...but to say he is just an average musician is dumb...

And yes, I play the guitar a little bit...very little...so I know what it takes to play some of his songs. You can't get through most of his songs with G, C, A, and D or power chords...which is a good thing...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 05:31:05 PM »
I like him...good on the guitar, his band gets to do a lot of their own stuff in his songs, he writes his own songs, and he is a good lyracist. I liked him a lot better back in the day. He hasn't come out with anything remotely decent since "before these crowded streets. Busted Stuff was good, but the original Lily White Sessions was a lot better...

I like his old music though. We have hashed it out over on the other site before and if you don't lke his music that's fine...but to say he is just an average musician is dumb...

And yes, I play the guitar a little bit...very little...so I know what it takes to play some of his songs. You can't get through most of his songs with G, C, A, and D or power chords...which is a good thing...

You're right.  Average gives the hack too much credit. 

Mealy mouth fuck.  Musician my ass.

BTW, I caught on to your meaning in the above defense of DMB (Dickless Musician Bastard).  But you're not going to win any points even if he IS one.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 05:32:48 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 05:33:18 PM »
he is a good lyracist.

No, he is not a good lyricist. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 05:34:08 PM »
No, he is not a good lyricist. 

But he IS racist.  I get it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 06:11:15 PM »
big river (covered by hank williams jr.)

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 06:17:24 PM »
What song writer do you think is a good lyricist...you can't just say he's is not without giving a reason why he is, or an example of who a good one would be. Kaos, you like a band that plays loud power chords, wears spandex and wears make up....I think that's gay...different strokes and shit...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 06:28:07 PM »
We've been over this KISS vs. DMB debate countless times, and let the record show that when given that choice, KISS 1,000 times over.

"Dave", as his fans affectionately call him as if they know him personally, has a mouth full of cocks at all times.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 06:35:37 PM »
I have no problem with you thinking KISS 1000 times over...none at all. But to say that DMB is not a good band and that they are not good musicians is just stupid...

I don't like Opera or a lot of Broadway musicals, but to try and say that they people that do each are not musically gifted would be an equally stupid statement.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 07:19:33 PM »
You're right.  Average gives the hack too much credit. 

Mealy mouth fuck.  Musician my ass.

BTW, I caught on to your meaning in the above defense of DMB (Dickless Musician Bastard).  But you're not going to win any points even if he IS one.

At best, he'd make a good lounge act in a cheesy, worn-out bar.  That's it.  That's probably what encourages people to buy his overrated crap. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 08:19:09 PM »
Dreams I'll Never See - Molly Hatchet (from the Allman Brothers). Without a doubt the only instance in which the Allman Brothers were outdone.

Totally agree with Kaos' pick of Pretty Woman by Van Halen.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 01:29:18 PM by Pell City Tiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 08:48:17 PM »
Leavin' on a Jet Plane - John Denver (original by Peter Paul & Mary)  He wrote the song for them, but then he recorded it later...

WORST cover for me is Jimmy Buffet's Brown Eyed Girl from the original by the one and only Van Morrison.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2008, 08:55:19 PM »
Leavin' on a Jet Plane - John Denver (original by Peter Paul & Mary)  He wrote the song for them, but then he recorded it later...

WORST cover for me is Jimmy Buffet's Brown Eyed Girl from the original by the one and only Van Morrison.

I am a huge Jimmy Buffet fan, but he butchered another classic when he tried Southern Cross by CS&N. I felt sorry for him when I heard it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2008, 09:48:08 PM »
Jimmy Buffet is just on nostalgia tour now - he cannot sing anymore - the voice is gone
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2008, 07:09:33 AM »
I have always been a fan of Johnny Cash's version of 'Hurt,' originally done by Nine Inch Nails.  The video makes the song to me:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 07:55:48 AM »
What song writer do you think is a good lyricist...you can't just say he's is not without giving a reason why he is, or an example of who a good one would be. Kaos, you like a band that plays loud power chords, wears spandex and wears make up....I think that's gay...different strokes and shit...

That's not the only band I like.  My musical taste is eclectic and runs the gamut from Prince to Kanye to McCartney to Molly Hatchet.

I also recognize that Paul and Gene aren't what you'd call top notch song writers and their vocal abilities leave much to be desired. But the total package works, there are some great songs buried in their catalog (true KISS fans really don't care all that much for RnR All Night), and if you understand what's going on, there's nothing gay about it. I admire the fact that Gene figured out a way to take a moderately talented band, find a marketing hook and make himself a millionaire many times over while he build a 35+ year career. 

Dave Matthews, on the other hand, is a namby-pamby fag.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2008, 09:23:17 AM »
And back to what sparked the side-argument:

"All Along The Watchtower" (Bob Dylan) was best covered by Jimi Hendrix. Hands down. A billion other hippie bands have done it in the style of Dylan, and all of them suck. Including The Dave's.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions