Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Football

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Football
« on: October 24, 2023, 04:11:01 PM »
I love me some college football. The frustration with our program hasn’t diminished that love, one iota.  Maybe it’s because we’ve been spinning our collective wheels for several years now, and the losses don’t piss me off near as much.  And the reality of knowing this is not going to be a quick fix has really tempered things for me.

As far back as I can remember, if Auburn was playing ball on teh Planez, my ample sized ass was going to be in JHS, ear-regardless of the situation, our record or the weather.  Not so much anymore. The early September match ups with San Louis Obispo Western Correctional Institute in 94 degree weather, ain’t on the menu much anymore.  And the get the hell off my lawn, old man in me, makes the experience of fighting the crowds going into, and inside the stadium, along with that monstrosity, POS scoreboard, blasting woompa boomp at 5 million decibels between every F’n play, much less desirable. But putting up with some of that is still worth watching some live, War Eagles foosballz.

I had a blast this past Saturday.  Met up with GH at his tailgate, and then Snake joined us for a while before I headed off to mooch off my in-laws at their tailgate until time to go in the game.  Good food, good drank, good company while 3 TV’s blasted various and sundry college games. Then, off to watch the offensive explosion in Jordan Hare.  Afterward, it was back to the tailgate, where fires were going in the Solo Pits, and games from the Left Coast were getting cranked up.  I was staying with family in Auburn, so after the traffic cleared out, it was on to the house for a nightcap and more watching of the most ripping of victories. 

College football is just different.  It’s a sport that is set up where there are probably as many as 60-70 teams who start, and play the season, knowing they have zero chance at sniffing a ring. If you’re Appy State, and you go 12-0 and win every game by a margin of 30 points, well, thanks for playing.  But, if you watch them play, you would think they’re fighting for a playoff spot.  I watched West Virginia and Houston about a week ago.  No dog in the fight, but it was football.  Incredible game, that was decided on the final play.  The game meant nothing in the grand scheme of things, but you wouldn’t have known it from watching these two go at it, and seeing the celebration after the ball made of pigskin sailed through the big H. Great stuff.

After I got home Sunday, and ran errands, worked in the yard, and wacked my willie, I turned on some NFL just to see what was going on.  Chargers and Chiefs going at it.  I watched two plays, after both of which the camera immediately panned to Taylor Swift in the box, to watch her act like a 6th grade school girl at sleepover, when the pillow fight is just breaking out.  I was done. 

I follow the NFL.  Watch a lot of it.  But, it doesn’t hold a candle to the college game.  It’s generic….sanitized even.  It all looks the same, and the games don’t mean shit.  Just about everybody makes the playoffs, and all you have to do to get in is win 2, maybe 3 more games than you lose.  The games are a great to go to on occasion, but it’s more something I keep up with than anything.

I’ll be hitting at least a couple more this year at The loveliest Village, including the Iron Bowl.  And I’m betting that tonight, I’ll find a couple of games on somewhere.  It may be Louisiana Tech at Slippery Rock, but I’m going to watch, because it’s college football.   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

Re: Football
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 06:47:24 PM »
I love me some college football. The frustration with our program hasn’t diminished that love, one iota.  Maybe it’s because we’ve been spinning our collective wheels for several years now, and the losses don’t piss me off near as much.  And the reality of knowing this is not going to be a quick fix has really tempered things for me.

As far back as I can remember, if Auburn was playing ball on teh Planez, my ample sized ass was going to be in JHS, ear-regardless of the situation, our record or the weather.  Not so much anymore. The early September match ups with San Louis Obispo Western Correctional Institute in 94 degree weather, ain’t on the menu much anymore.  And the get the hell off my lawn, old man in me, makes the experience of fighting the crowds going into, and inside the stadium, along with that monstrosity, POS scoreboard, blasting woompa boomp at 5 million decibels between every F’n play, much less desirable. But putting up with some of that is still worth watching some live, War Eagles foosballz.

I had a blast this past Saturday.  Met up with GH at his tailgate, and then Snake joined us for a while before I headed off to mooch off my in-laws at their tailgate until time to go in the game.  Good food, good drank, good company while 3 TV’s blasted various and sundry college games. Then, off to watch the offensive explosion in Jordan Hare.  Afterward, it was back to the tailgate, where fires were going in the Solo Pits, and games from the Left Coast were getting cranked up.  I was staying with family in Auburn, so after the traffic cleared out, it was on to the house for a nightcap and more watching of the most ripping of victories. 

College football is just different.  It’s a sport that is set up where there are probably as many as 60-70 teams who start, and play the season, knowing they have zero chance at sniffing a ring. If you’re Appy State, and you go 12-0 and win every game by a margin of 30 points, well, thanks for playing.  But, if you watch them play, you would think they’re fighting for a playoff spot.  I watched West Virginia and Houston about a week ago.  No dog in the fight, but it was football.  Incredible game, that was decided on the final play.  The game meant nothing in the grand scheme of things, but you wouldn’t have known it from watching these two go at it, and seeing the celebration after the ball made of pigskin sailed through the big H. Great stuff.

After I got home Sunday, and ran errands, worked in the yard, and wacked my willie, I turned on some NFL just to see what was going on.  Chargers and Chiefs going at it.  I watched two plays, after both of which the camera immediately panned to Taylor Swift in the box, to watch her act like a 6th grade school girl at sleepover, when the pillow fight is just breaking out.  I was done. 

I follow the NFL.  Watch a lot of it.  But, it doesn’t hold a candle to the college game.  It’s generic….sanitized even.  It all looks the same, and the games don’t mean shit.  Just about everybody makes the playoffs, and all you have to do to get in is win 2, maybe 3 more games than you lose.  The games are a great to go to on occasion, but it’s more something I keep up with than anything.

I’ll be hitting at least a couple more this year at The loveliest Village, including the Iron Bowl.  And I’m betting that tonight, I’ll find a couple of games on somewhere.  It may be Louisiana Tech at Slippery Rock, but I’m going to watch, because it’s college football.   

The baseball playoffs have provided better drama than any football game so far in my opinion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 07:38:55 PM »
Being serious, it was a pleasure meeting both of you.

That said, one of you gave me crabs during my free ZJ.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

chinook

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 07:50:44 PM »
Being serious, it was a pleasure meeting both of you.

That said, one of you gave me crabs during my free ZJ.

that's because you didn't have the courtesy to give a reach around.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 08:32:07 PM »
that's because you didn't have the courtesy to give a reach around.

Geez. You’re right. I’m the jackass in this scenario.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2023, 10:07:33 AM »
Geez. You’re right. I’m the jackass in this scenario.

Oh, don't you worry.  What comes around, goes....wait....forget that come remark.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2023, 11:42:32 AM »
I like the idea of football during the week for part of the season. I just wish they had compelling matchups more often.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 12:35:43 PM »
I like the idea of football during the week for part of the season. I just wish they had compelling matchups more often.

No doubt, but it's still football.  Watched some of both games on last night between innings of the NLCS, just for a nightly football fix. Would never watch La. Tech and New Mexico State on a Saturday.  But Tuesday night....?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 03:30:39 PM »
Learned a new term last night.  On a challenged call, the color commentator said, "There has to be irresputable evidence to overturn the call."

Man, these rule changes are coming so fast.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 03:53:47 PM »
Learned a new term last night.  On a challenged call, the color commentator said, "There has to be irresputable evidence to overturn the call."

Man, these rule changes are coming so fast.

Learn your grammar, boy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 07:44:31 AM »
Rich Rod has Jax St at 7-2. They aren’t allowed to go to their conference title game or a bowl because NCAA buffoonery. I’m not calling for it yet, but they get South Carolina in a couple weeks. Beamer better wear a pad on the other foot (and in his pantaloons).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2023, 09:07:13 AM »
Rich Rod has Jax St at 7-2. They aren’t allowed to go to their conference title game or a bowl because NCAA buffoonery. I’m not calling for it yet, but they get South Carolina in a couple weeks. Beamer better wear a pad on the other foot (and in his pantaloons).
Does his wife still wear that urban sombrero?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 12:37:46 PM »
Last night, the last of the trick-or-treaters left about 7:15.  Heated up some red beans and rice, poured up a nice brown likker and DCP, and grabbed the remote.  Oh, MACtion has started.  Central Michigan and Northern Illinois.  I don't care, it's football.  I'll watch a little of it.  Turned to it and....WTH?

Snowing so hard you could barely see the players.  It only snowed until half time, but come on.  I was in some football heaven.  The game is supposed to be played outdoors.  It's supposed to be cold, overcast, and fog comin' out dey moufs.  If it's snowing, all the better.  There was snow in the other MACtion game between Toledo and Buffalo too.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2023, 01:02:06 PM »

Snowing so hard you could barely see the players.  It only snowed until half time, but come on.  I was in some football heaven.  The game is supposed to be played outdoors.  It's supposed to be cold, overcast, and fog comin' out dey moufs.  If it's snowing, all the better.  There was snow in the other MACtion game between Toledo and Buffalo too.

As long as I can watch it from my couch, I'm good with it that way.

Fuck the 2:30 September games and the December games if I have to attend in person.

Give me a crisp mid-Nov game if you're going to drag me into the stadium.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2023, 01:45:01 PM »

Fuck the 2:30 September games and the December games if I have to attend in person.

Snags loves a good Sept 9th game at 230 where sweat is dripping down his asscrack like a faucet in teh 97 degrees.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2023, 02:18:08 PM »

Yuppers!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2023, 02:24:16 PM »
Give me 11 am in Jordan Hare, preferably after the first weekend in October but that’s not as important as the time.

This is when football was intended to be played. Whether snowing, raining or sweating in the ass crack.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2023, 03:09:20 PM »
Part of it is age.  Part of it is probably a lifetime of constant punches in the nuts.  Part of it is a nostalgic longing for the way things used to be when Auburn was Auburn and didn’t need rows of white tents and a DJ in the stands.  Pickup trucks and the college band was enough.  Part of it is probably NIL and kids buying Bentleys. Part of it is almost certainly Bama, OSU, UGA fatigue. Having lived though the “greatest coach in football history” once it seems numbingly unfair to have to endure the second coming - both at our main rival. Part of it is likely over-saturation.  Old days you got a few televised games a week at best. The rest was homer radio.  There was no ESPN. No constant barrage from thousands of talking heads, no constant online babble. 

I don’t care that much any more.  About the game in general.  It just doesn’t mean more. 

There were times when wins and losses could improve or wreck days. Weeks. Months. Years.  I don’t want that for me any more. 

Auburn made it easy. Jay Jacobs started the slide, turning Auburn into a place I don’t recognize sometimes.  Still love it. But maybe in a different way. 

Anyway. I wish I could relate in a way.  But for the most part? It’s ceased to be a major part of my life and im surprisingly okay with it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2023, 03:39:42 PM »
Part of it is age.  Part of it is probably a lifetime of constant punches in the nuts.  Part of it is a nostalgic longing for the way things used to be when Auburn was Auburn and didn’t need rows of white tents and a DJ in the stands.  Pickup trucks and the college band was enough.  Part of it is probably NIL and kids buying Bentleys. Part of it is almost certainly Bama, OSU, UGA fatigue. Having lived though the “greatest coach in football history” once it seems numbingly unfair to have to endure the second coming - both at our main rival. Part of it is likely over-saturation.  Old days you got a few televised games a week at best. The rest was homer radio.  There was no ESPN. No constant barrage from thousands of talking heads, no constant online babble. 

I don’t care that much any more.  About the game in general.  It just doesn’t mean more. 

There were times when wins and losses could improve or wreck days. Weeks. Months. Years.  I don’t want that for me any more. 

Auburn made it easy. Jay Jacobs started the slide, turning Auburn into a place I don’t recognize sometimes.  Still love it. But maybe in a different way. 

Anyway. I wish I could relate in a way.  But for the most part? It’s ceased to be a major part of my life and im surprisingly okay with it.

I only enjoy it and love it because of Auburn. I’ll watch other competitive games here and there, but truly don’t give a shit outside of my Auburn insulated bubble. Tradition, pageantry, and the loving community that prides itself on class.. that’s what I care about. Losing bothers me, and I love screaming/bitching at the TV (or from the stands), but I shake it off and go on about my day with the hope we will be better the next year.

It’s home. The mentality of the “good ‘ol days” of Auburn aren’t completely lost, and I am hopeful for its return.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2023, 04:19:08 PM »

Going all nostalgic here. Been going to JHS since I was a wee lad, and it was Cliff-Hare Stadium.  Parking and tailgating was first come, first serve, anywhere you could find a spot. Just about nothing was off limits.  Our spot was in the "Drill Field" where the old ROTC hanger was. 

I graduated from teh Planez many, many moons ago.  The construction, both on campus, downtown, and all around the City has been non-stop since I drove off with my diploma. There are so many things I miss about the quaint, little college town, and yes, there are times that I'd rather sit at the tailgate and watch the game on TV.  Mainly because other than the tradition of the eagle flying, and the pre-game festivities with the band etc. the experience of trying to get in the stadium, and the whole atmosphere, borders on suck! But I'll still go.

Having said that, let me take it in the opposite direction. If I was visiting for the first time, and hadn't grown up with Auburn so much a part of my life, and knew nothing about the complete makeover of the campus, stadium and city over the years, I truly believe I would be blown away.  Regardless of how I remember Auburn to be in years past, the place is still unbelievably beautiful, and still has that quintessential, small college town feel. There's a reason people have been moving to that place in droves over the past couple of decades.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions