Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

I Did Not Know…

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
Re: I Did Not Know…
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2024, 06:52:03 PM »
More I did not know…

Julie Benz (Rita on Dexter), who I completely adore, and because of whom I won’t watch anything with John Lithgow in it ….  She used to be married to The Cryptkeeper.  Well…. Technically to the guy who did the voice. 

Married when she was 26 and he was 42.

What was your opinion on Dexter?   I was really into it and then never finished it.  Is it worth it once Jimmy Smits hits the scene?

I did watch New Blood and enjoyed it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2024, 09:38:20 PM »
What was your opinion on Dexter?   I was really into it and then never finished it.  Is it worth it once Jimmy Smits hits the scene?

I did watch New Blood and enjoyed it.

It was hard for me to watch after Rita died at the end of season 4. 

I rode it out to the end, but it just lost something when she was gone.

I didn't care at all about the entire season 5 arc with Julia Stiles.  It felt forced.

The Baby Hanks/ Lieutenant Castillo of Miami Vice storyline really felt like the show had jumped the shark and was riding it around an above-ground pool.  When it adds in the creepy-feeling sexual tension between Deb and Dex?  The shark drowned.

And then season 7...  It's like Season 6 of Sopranos or Godfather III or Caddyshack 2.  I pretend it doesn't exist.  No doubt the girl playing Dexter's new romantic interest (Yvonne Strahovski) was lithe and sexy, but she just didn't have the "it" factor to match with Deb, Dex, dead Rita, Batista, or any of the rest of the cast. The story really stretched the bounds of credulity and the finale was one of the worst of any series I've ever watched.  It was a -43 on a scale of 1-5. 

I give New Blood credit for not just abandoning that butchered abortion of a final season and leaning into it in a way that took some of the stench off. 

Dexter was one of my absolute favorites through season 4.  After that, though... I watched it mostly out of obligation, slogging through to the end.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
CCTAU,
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2024, 11:02:19 PM »
I don’t remember exactly where I left off but it was probably at the start of Season 4.  Deb was always the weak link in the show.  I will probably pick it back up this summer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

jmar

« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2024, 08:10:28 AM »

It was hard for me to watch after Rita died at the end of season 4. 

I rode it out to the end, but it just lost something when she was gone.

I didn't care at all about the entire season 5 arc with Julia Stiles.  It felt forced.

The Baby Hanks/ Lieutenant Castillo of Miami Vice storyline really felt like the show had jumped the shark and was riding it around an above-ground pool.  When it adds in the creepy-feeling sexual tension between Deb and Dex?  The shark drowned.

And then season 7...  It's like Season 6 of Sopranos or Godfather III or Caddyshack 2.  I pretend it doesn't exist.  No doubt the girl playing Dexter's new romantic interest (Yvonne Strahovski) was lithe and sexy, but she just didn't have the "it" factor to match with Deb, Dex, dead Rita, Batista, or any of the rest of the cast. The story really stretched the bounds of credulity and the finale was one of the worst of any series I've ever watched.  It was a -43 on a scale of 1-5. 

I give New Blood credit for not just abandoning that butchered abortion of a final season and leaning into it in a way that took some of the stench off. 

Dexter was one of my absolute favorites through season 4.  After that, though... I watched it mostly out of obligation, slogging through to the end.
Agree...for me the first four seasons of Dexter is as committed as I've ever been to a series. Beyond that I would be happy to wipe all of the seasons that followed in favor of a sequel where Deb kills Dexter to end the cycle of killing.
I kept watching to the point where I have absolutely no interest in anything Hall or Carpenter do anymore because of the cycle of love interests and multiple characters introduced in subsequent seasons.
Dexter the lover became more central to the writing than Dexter the serial killer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2024, 10:06:29 AM »
I don’t remember exactly where I left off but it was probably at the start of Season 4.  Deb was always the weak link in the show.  I will probably pick it back up this summer.

I kinda disagree.  White trash whore Deb gave the show a dash of acid that it needed. 

The last couple of seasons the writers really trashed her character. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2024, 05:31:03 PM »
I kinda disagree.  White trash whore Deb gave the show a dash of acid that it needed. 

The last couple of seasons the writers really trashed her character.
Acid freaks me out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
WiregrassTiger,
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2024, 11:17:54 AM »
I did not know Don Henley had a 16-year old hooker OD in his room in the 80s.  Or that the paramedics let her stay there when she came to.

Entertainment industry full of sickos, isn't it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #107 on: February 29, 2024, 05:34:24 PM »
Stupid fact about Rush bassist/lead singer.

Geddy Lee: His real name is Gary Lee Weinrib. So where does Geddy come from? His Jewish mother had a VERY heavy accent, and "Geddy" is how she pronounced Gary. It just stuck!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
WiregrassTiger,
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #108 on: February 29, 2024, 08:12:45 PM »
Stupid fact about Rush bassist/lead singer.

Geddy Lee: His real name is Gary Lee Weinrib. So where does Geddy come from? His Jewish mother had a VERY heavy accent, and "Geddy" is how she pronounced Gary. It just stuck!

Yeah, I'd change my name from weiner-rib, too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2024, 11:48:12 AM »
More useless trivia than I did not know.

Don Henley wrote The Boys of Summer for Tom Petty.  Mike Campbell, Petty's guitarist, put the music to it and pitched to Tom, but he didn't feel it fit on the record they were making.  So, Henley recorded it with Campbell along with Steve Porcaro from Toto and a couple of others.

When they completed the song, they were having an after party at the studio to celebrate, and Bob Seger dropped by.  Henley played him the song, and Seger told him he needed to sing it higher, because chicks dig that.  So Henley spent the next week experimenting with higher vocals and wound up re-recording the song that way.  It became his big hit from that album.

I like useless stuff like that.  What if Petty loved the song and recorded it? Would it have been as big?  Who knows?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
WiregrassTiger,
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2024, 11:51:17 AM »
I like useless stuff like that.  What if Petty loved the song and recorded it? Would it have been as big?  Who knows?

Now you have me imagining that song in Petty's voice. It might have worked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2024, 11:53:42 AM »
Now you have me imagining that song in Petty's voice. It might have worked.

True.  His style might have killed it on that song.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
WiregrassTiger,

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2024, 12:47:57 PM »
KISS you did not know:

- Paul wrote Hard Luck Woman for Rod Stewart.  After Rod decided it was too similar to other songs on his upcoming album, KISS recorded it themselves. Peter took vocals. It turned out to be a top 20 hit, with many people assuming it was actually Stewart who released it.  Song was later remade by Garth Brooks.

- Paul wrote God of Thunder and was pissed/disappointed when the song was turned over to Gene during the recording of the album. Was the right move. It became an iconic song and concert staple for the Demon. There's a demo floating around with Paul singing. Would have been a very different song.

-- The late 90s hit Forever was a KISS collaboration with Michael Bolton (not the programmer who enjoys his entire catalog).

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2024, 11:12:20 PM »
Only tangentially related to entertainment but….

I did now know that Hugo Boss - the one who creates the fashion line that exists today (and I do love a Hugo suit) — was a hard core Nazi.  Like a real Nazi.  The company he founded produced the black SS uniforms. 

And somehow it survived.  Today worth north of $4billion
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
WiregrassTiger,
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2024, 03:33:37 PM »
Only tangentially related to entertainment but….

I did now know that Hugo Boss - the one who creates the fashion line that exists today (and I do love a Hugo suit) — was a hard core Nazi.  Like a real Nazi.  The company he founded produced the black SS uniforms. 

And somehow it survived.  Today worth north of $4billion

that list is long and prominent...including american companies that "supported" the nazi regime. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2024, 12:32:36 PM »
I did not know, with the emphasis on "I". With regard to Nike and Bo Jackson...

The marketing phrase, "Bo knows", was originally going to be "I know", with Bo saying, I know football.  I know baseball etc.

However, with Bo's speech impediment, "I" was a trigger word. He couldn't move on with the sentence after saying I, so Bo knows was created.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
Members reacted dislike:
WiregrassTiger,

« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2024, 12:54:37 PM »
In terms of driving distance, Dalhart, Texas is closer to six other state capitals than it is to its own state capital of Austin.

Santa Fe, Denver, Oklahoma City, Cheyenne, Topeka and Lincoln.

Speaking of driving...will probably never again see a speed limit sign like this one.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
WiregrassTiger,
No reactions
"If you're looking for sympathy, it's in the dictionary between shit and syphilis."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2024, 05:53:34 PM »
I've seen the original Top Gun 3,815 times, or thereabouts.  I pulled up the cast because I saw someone on a show and thought, didn't he have a bit part in Top Gun?

I'm looking at the cast...wait...Tim Robbins was Merlin?  WTF?  Why didn't I know this?  Did I know this? I guess I should have.

Turns out, Robbins had only been in acting a couple of years at that time, and was a relative unknown.  He didn't really get "famous" until a couple of years later in Bull Durham. In Top Gun, most of his speaking parts were with a helmet and mask on.  But, I have no clue why I never caught that.  The dude is in one of my top 3 all timers, Shawshank.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2024, 01:16:26 AM »
I've seen the original Top Gun 3,815 times, or thereabouts.  I pulled up the cast because I saw someone on a show and thought, didn't he have a bit part in Top Gun?

I'm looking at the cast...wait...Tim Robbins was Merlin?  WTF?  Why didn't I know this?  Did I know this? I guess I should have.

Turns out, Robbins had only been in acting a couple of years at that time, and was a relative unknown.  He didn't really get "famous" until a couple of years later in Bull Durham. In Top Gun, most of his speaking parts were with a helmet and mask on.  But, I have no clue why I never caught that.  The dude is in one of my top 3 all timers, Shawshank.

Several interesting actors got their start there.

Clarence Giltard Jr. Was on Walker Texas Ranger for years.
Adrian Pasdar has been in some Marvel stuff recently.

But yeah, Robbins was the one that went on to become huge after that small roll.

I was glad to see Goose didn’t really die but left the Navy to become an ER doc. Only to die again…
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2024, 10:06:45 AM »
I was glad to see Goose didn’t really die but left the Navy to become an ER doc. Only to die again…

You should have seen him in college.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions