Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Monday Musings

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Monday Musings
« on: September 25, 2023, 03:00:31 PM »
It was never going to be a quick fix. We all know that. We all know why. However, there are some areas that need immediate attention and should be the focus of the coaching staff for the rest of the year. They can't overcome talent deficiencies right now. They can overcome indecisiveness.

How? Look at the defense. They play with a plan. They execute. They don't always win, but they run their stuff and move in a way that you can tell that side of the ball knows the assignment.

The offense needs an enema. Pick a QB and ride with him unless injury forces a change. Can't keep swapping dudes every few drives or when the fit hits the shan. Let one take the lumps and learn. It's the only way. OL has got to come together or it's never gonna work. Establishing and leaning on the run game is the best path forward.

Let's look at the remaining schedule.

fUGA - Sucks to say, but they are gonna beat us like a rented redheaded whore. We aren't there yet. Even if they screw around and only care for a quarter, it's enough to get a win. That's just facts.

The Bye Week will be good for recruiting and healing up anything that can get healed.

@ LSU - These guys aren't world-beaters, but they are ahead of the curve. The West is there for the taking (more on why in a bit). Defense can keep this respectable (like aTm) but their talent threshold and being at home is gonna pay off.

Ole Miss - Honestly, there's a chance. They could mail this season in after talking smack and getting that ass beat last week. Or, this may resurrect their season. Hugh is gonna want this so he needs someone to keep his phone locked up and keep his head in the game. Lane will screw it up if we let him.

Mississippi State - Rudderless and going down like a junior at prom. The lesser bullies are not special. Auburn should win this.

@ Vandy - They suck. The worst part will be the guys having to dress in a parking lot.

@ Arkansas - They aren't special either, but they have a dynamic QB, a killer RB, some good DBs, and they will be fighting for their lives at that point. If it was JHS, I'd think we get it. In Fayettenam, it's advantage Hogs.

New Mexico State - We can go Breaking Bad on these chumps and let some walk ons do the dirty work in the second half.

Alabama - Bama is not what we are used to, but they are still good. At home and if the defense is healthy, we can make this close. All going to depend on what HF and co. can muddle together for the offense in the weeks after LSU and before this game.

6-6 or 7-5 is there for the taking. Anything more this year was a pipe dream and required stuff that just isn't feasible.

I rest my case.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 04:05:33 PM by The Six »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,GH2001,
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Monday Musings
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 08:14:19 PM »
Qb play is always key. And right now it’s ass. Thorne has frozen up for some reason. Coaches have to fix that. That’s an understatement. That’ll determine the rest of the year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 09:25:08 PM »
I think this is our punishment for having the two greatest athletes in college football history wear our colors.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 10:00:44 PM »
I think this is our punishment for having the two greatest athletes in college football history wear our colors.

You could be onto something…
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 07:46:52 AM »
You could be onto something…

Nothing changed the Auburn fanbase more than 1982, 2010, and 2023.

1982 set the course and made Auburn the Auburn we all came to love.

2010 and 2013 turned too many of our fans into Bammers - instant gratification seekers settling for all or nothing. It poisoned the core just a sure as Spike 80DF did the trees. It's never been the same since.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
GH2001,
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 07:55:18 AM »

2010 and 2013 turned too many of our fans into Bammers - instant gratification seekers settling for all or nothing. It poisoned the core just a sure as Spike 80DF did the trees. It's never been the same since.

Your words have some truth here. It’ll sting for some but….
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 07:56:43 AM »
Your words have some truth here. It’ll sting for some but….

Truth hurts, but like fire, it purifies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 08:44:08 AM »

The Auburn I love was built way before 1982. 

-- Walking across campus on gamedays in 1970 I thought my grandfather and dad knew everybody. People were friendly, they'd stop and talk at tailgates along the way, I'd throw footballs with other kids.  It was like a huge family reunion. Smoke and the smells of burgers, sausages, ribs grilling.  That's what I fell in love with. We were one.

-- I loved sitting by the car and listening to Gusty Yearout and Gary Sanders called games.  I lived in Opelika at the time. Grandaddy would drive down on Friday night or Saturday morning. We'd drive over with a portable grill in the trunk, a cooler full of cokes and hot dogs or burgers.  Card table, some lawn chairs and we were set.  Even if we didn't have tickets, we'd sit outside and listen to Gusty Yearout and Gary Sanders call the game on the radio. You could hear it everywhere because everybody else not in the stadium was doing the same thing. 

-- Shug Jordan. A man's man, but a gentleman at the same time. Not like that booze-swilling rube across the state. When I was five or six I wrote him a letter.  He could have ignored it buthe sent me back an autographed photo and a handwritten note.

-- Sullivan to Beasley, Terry Henley, Dave Beck, Bill Langner, Bob Newton, Thomas Gossom, James Owens.  I remember being crushed in 1971 when we went into the Iron Bowl undefeated (and so were they).  Dreaming of a national title and a Sugar Bowl bid.  Those guys pounded us like 31-7 or something. Demoralizing.  Close game until the fourth quarter, like a one-score game, and then some turnovers and bad luck let them pour it on.  Then 72 came. 

Yeah, 82 changed things and, for a time, buried the evil empire.  Since 82, Auburn is something like 19 and 20 vs Bama. It doesn't feel like that, I guess, because we're on a three-game losing streak and if this season turns out to be a loss it will be the first time we've lost more than three in a row to them since 82.  During that span we've had six and four game winning streaks over them, even as Saban piled up national titles.  It's a much more even rivalry than any of their unwashed mass is willing to admit.

Yeah, Dye gave us hope in football again and he leveled the playing field to the point it's remained fairly level for the last 40 years.  But Auburn was really a lot more than football for me. Quite honestly?  A lot of the nostalgic things I loved are gone now.  I know I promised not to keep beating this drum, but the Auburn I grew up loving would never have hired a greasy charlatan like Hugh Freeze. And that's a big part of my problem. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 09:20:55 AM »
The Auburn I love was built way before 1982. 

-- Walking across campus on gamedays in 1970 I thought my grandfather and dad knew everybody. People were friendly, they'd stop and talk at tailgates along the way, I'd throw footballs with other kids.  It was like a huge family reunion. Smoke and the smells of burgers, sausages, ribs grilling.  That's what I fell in love with. We were one.

-- I loved sitting by the car and listening to Gusty Yearout and Gary Sanders called games.  I lived in Opelika at the time. Grandaddy would drive down on Friday night or Saturday morning. We'd drive over with a portable grill in the trunk, a cooler full of cokes and hot dogs or burgers.  Card table, some lawn chairs and we were set.  Even if we didn't have tickets, we'd sit outside and listen to Gusty Yearout and Gary Sanders call the game on the radio. You could hear it everywhere because everybody else not in the stadium was doing the same thing. 

-- Shug Jordan. A man's man, but a gentleman at the same time. Not like that booze-swilling rube across the state. When I was five or six I wrote him a letter.  He could have ignored it buthe sent me back an autographed photo and a handwritten note.

-- Sullivan to Beasley, Terry Henley, Dave Beck, Bill Langner, Bob Newton, Thomas Gossom, James Owens.  I remember being crushed in 1971 when we went into the Iron Bowl undefeated (and so were they).  Dreaming of a national title and a Sugar Bowl bid.  Those guys pounded us like 31-7 or something. Demoralizing.  Close game until the fourth quarter, like a one-score game, and then some turnovers and bad luck let them pour it on.  Then 72 came. 

Yeah, 82 changed things and, for a time, buried the evil empire.  Since 82, Auburn is something like 19 and 20 vs Bama. It doesn't feel like that, I guess, because we're on a three-game losing streak and if this season turns out to be a loss it will be the first time we've lost more than three in a row to them since 82.  During that span we've had six and four game winning streaks over them, even as Saban piled up national titles.  It's a much more even rivalry than any of their unwashed mass is willing to admit.

Yeah, Dye gave us hope in football again and he leveled the playing field to the point it's remained fairly level for the last 40 years.  But Auburn was really a lot more than football for me. Quite honestly?  A lot of the nostalgic things I loved are gone now.  I know I promised not to keep beating this drum, but the Auburn I grew up loving would never have hired a greasy charlatan like Hugh Freeze. And that's a big part of my problem.

K, I get what you are saying but I think his post was relative to modern era and many of the fanbase that are under 50-55 years old. I know my first memory was indeed Bo over the top. My mother did instill in my head the stories of Shug, Sullivan, Punt Bama Punt and the darkness we went through in the 70s. I get that. And I think it's why I have a little different perspective than maybe a lot of those under 50. To me, 2010 did more damage than Bo or Dye ever did. Ive witnessed it through the years. Those millennial or zoomer generation fans were that was their first real taste as teenagers or young adults....

The lens you see all this through has merit, and I totally get that - watching Auburn change through the years is similar to me to that closing scene in  Gangs of New York when they show the graveyard at the base of the bridge as it slowly disappears through the years and changes into not even being relevant or visible, and you start seeing cars and skyscrapers. I think that when I see our program, our campus, our base....But I know things will always change. I don't like it all the time, I know you don't either but it's always going to happen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2023, 10:56:15 AM »
I'm late to the party.  Didn't log on the past couple of days and just finished purr-roozing a lot of your posts.

Looks unanimous, with no arguments to the contrary. QB play sucks.  Scratch that one off the list.

I'm going to take my take where no take has gone before.  So, take my take with a grain of salt.  It's quite simple.  This will not get any better until the coaching gives us a chance to do just that. No wailing and gnashing of teeth, or calling for anyone's dome. Two things:

1. The turnovers, penalties, missed assignments etc. the first four weeks have nothing to do with any talent disparity.  It's flat out a lack of concentration and discipline. 

2. I'll harp on the same thing I've been on since the start. If your QB(s) are not accurate, and don't see the field, stop having them sit in the pocket, throwing 90% of their passes 20 yards down field.  A&M had what, 7 sacks?  Did anyone see even the remotest sign that we tried something to negate that?  Did we try a screen?  Did we try that drag route that Fair scored on against Cal? Did we run quick slants? Draw plays?

Been saying it over and over and over.  Get the ball out of the QB's hand, quickly.  ErrmaGerrd, Geernerr will play Saturday. Know why?  Because if they have Thorne and Ashford going against FUGA with the same game plan, they'll both be leaving on a stretcher.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2023, 11:21:17 AM »
I'm late to the party.  Didn't log on the past couple of days and just finished purr-roozing a lot of your posts.

Looks unanimous, with no arguments to the contrary. QB play sucks.  Scratch that one off the list.

I'm going to take my take where no take has gone before.  So, take my take with a grain of salt.  It's quite simple.  This will not get any better until the coaching gives us a chance to do just that. No wailing and gnashing of teeth, or calling for anyone's dome. Two things:

1. The turnovers, penalties, missed assignments etc. the first four weeks have nothing to do with any talent disparity.  It's flat out a lack of concentration and discipline. 

2. I'll harp on the same thing I've been on since the start. If your QB(s) are not accurate, and don't see the field, stop having them sit in the pocket, throwing 90% of their passes 20 yards down field.  A&M had what, 7 sacks?  Did anyone see even the remotest sign that we tried something to negate that?  Did we try a screen?  Did we try that drag route that Fair scored on against Cal? Did we run quick slants? Draw plays?

Been saying it over and over and over.  Get the ball out of the QB's hand, quickly.  ErrmaGerrd, Geernerr will play Saturday. Know why?  Because if they have Thorne and Ashford going against FUGA with the same game plan, they'll both be leaving on a stretcher.

Here hear!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2023, 12:01:53 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2023, 12:20:02 PM »
I know the NFL and college are night and day, but I watched the Bengals and Rams last night.  Joe Fucking Burrow has been hobbled by a calf injury, and is almost immobile, compared to how he normally operates.  Almost every one of his first 20-25 passes were under 10 yards. He couldn't move and avoid the rush, so they got the ball out of his hands quick.  Took a minute to get in rhythm, but they started moving it, and keeping drives going. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2023, 08:35:43 AM »
I know the NFL and college are night and day, but I watched the Bengals and Rams last night.  Joe Fucking Burrow has been hobbled by a calf injury, and is almost immobile, compared to how he normally operates.  Almost every one of his first 20-25 passes were under 10 yards. He couldn't move and avoid the rush, so they got the ball out of his hands quick.  Took a minute to get in rhythm, but they started moving it, and keeping drives going.
CCTAU has been harping about using a quick game to offset the pressure and really the talent disparity in pass protection that should have been obvious to us all @ Cal.

The old way when overmatched was to use screens and draws; only that requires everyone being on the same page, setting up blocking wedges thereby forcing the defense to make open field tackles. It's very physical on a secondary, runs linebackers ragged and moves the chains. [size=78%] [/size]

That's the extent of my coordinating prowess. It requires much more commitment than three fails, a punt and a short field for FUGA.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2023, 10:58:41 AM »
CCTAU has been harping about using a quick game to offset the pressure and really the talent disparity in pass protection that should have been obvious to us all @ Cal.

The old way when overmatched was to use screens and draws; only that requires everyone being on the same page, setting up blocking wedges thereby forcing the defense to make open field tackles. It's very physical on a secondary, runs linebackers ragged and moves the chains. [size=78%] [/size]

That's the extent of my coordinating prowess. It requires much more commitment than three fails, a punt and a short field for FUGA. 

Thank you JMAR.
This has actually been an issue at AU for the last two coaches.
We recruit some damn fine TEs and immediately forget about them.
Hell, 6' 30" Frazier has been here for almost 5 years. You'd think we might do a little basketball toss over the middle to him every 2 years or so.
I get it, 5-7 yards aren't sexy. But it draws the defense up so you might actually get an open guy downfield.

And when you send everyone deep every play, delay drag one of those TEs across the middle.

At this point, we may have some guys open over the middle and Thorne just can't see them. Or it takes too long to develop. But one thing is for sure, if we don't utilize the short middle passing game, we are screwed.

Sadly I have been screaming this since Gus came to town.

Oh. And I don't mean finally use it on 3rd and 12...
You ain't fooling nobody...well maybe our defense...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 11:03:41 AM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2023, 01:33:11 PM »
Watch the Pat Dye documentary.  If you were alive and cognizant think back to 1980. 

Auburn had wandered through the valley of despair for a lot of years.  It was as bad as Auburn had ever been (until now, perhaps).  Dye came in.  He was confident (some said arrogant). He was blunt, he was direct.

His first season wasn't great results-wise.  5-6. But those kids fought their ass off. They were disciplined. They were organized. They battled. 

The documentary mentions the last second loss to Tennessee. I remember that vividly. That was when I had hope. We weren't nearly as talented but we battled down to the very last play. We were in it until the end against one of the best Nebraska teams of all time. The last three losses were all against Top Ten teams and Auburn was a play or two away in e every one from changing the outcome. Those kids fought their guts out and everybody could see things were changing. 

Auburn didn't have near the talent UT, AL, GA, MSU, or Neb did.  (The Wake Forest loss was puzzling in game two,  but the team steadily got better).   Even when far outclassed, AU was competitive. 

My question is whether you feel that now?  I freely admit I can't watch all of the game, because it's just too much to take. What I have seen is nothing like 1980.  It's not even anything like 1999 or 1993.  It's not even 2009. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2023, 01:41:18 PM »

The roadmap is therefore laid out for Freeze to make this team successful, if he will simply listen. All that he has to do is look at what CTEAU  said and do the exact opposite.

If he’ll do that, AU will win.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2023, 01:58:42 PM »
Watch the Pat Dye documentary.  If you were alive and cognizant think back to 1980. 

Auburn had wandered through the valley of despair for a lot of years.  It was as bad as Auburn had ever been (until now, perhaps).  Dye came in.  He was confident (some said arrogant). He was blunt, he was direct.

His first season wasn't great results-wise.  5-6. But those kids fought their ass off. They were disciplined. They were organized. They battled. 

The documentary mentions the last second loss to Tennessee. I remember that vividly. That was when I had hope. We weren't nearly as talented but we battled down to the very last play. We were in it until the end against one of the best Nebraska teams of all time. The last three losses were all against Top Ten teams and Auburn was a play or two away in e every one from changing the outcome. Those kids fought their guts out and everybody could see things were changing. 

Auburn didn't have near the talent UT, AL, GA, MSU, or Neb did.  (The Wake Forest loss was puzzling in game two,  but the team steadily got better).   Even when far outclassed, AU was competitive. 

My question is whether you feel that now?  I freely admit I can't watch all of the game, because it's just too much to take. What I have seen is nothing like 1980.  It's not even anything like 1999 or 1993.  It's not even 2009.

I'll be honest with you.  I am a Hugh Freeze fan.  I respect that you aren't, and understand your reasoning why.  I believe he will be a pretty good coach at Auburn when all is said and done.  A couple of thoughts from yours truly:

1.  I am extremely disappointed with what I have seen to this point in the season.  I am sure this is not his intention, but he keeps shitting on the current roster when talking about the huge disparity in talent.  A huge part of football is self-confidence, and hearing that on more than one occasion can be a motivation killer.  Not a lot of wisdom in saying that publicly to media members, even if there is some truth to it. 

2.  I hope I am wrong about this... I am not seeing a whole lot of passion for winning right away from Hugh.  I am getting an attitude of "whatever will be, will be" by his tone, and by some of the things he says in his weekly pressers.  I personally would like to see a sense of urgency for improvement from the top down and immediate improvement.  Sucks that it needs to be against one of the best teams in the country, if not the best, but I want to see an exciting & effective offensive attack.  What we have seen up to this point looked like Gus Malzahn (in his worst years here) and Scott Loeffler (in his only year here) had a baby, and that baby is calling plays. 

I am trying to be slow to react on the whole thing.  It is a hard task to compete year in and year out with the best teams when we are needing to be pulled out of a ditch.  I have been unimpressed with Monty, and would like for Freeze and Cadillac to collaborate to get something in place that doesn't resemble a bag of mashed up asshole.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2023, 02:20:57 PM »
I'll be honest with you.  I am a Hugh Freeze fan.  I respect that you aren't, and understand your reasoning why.  I believe he will be a pretty good coach at Auburn when all is said and done.  A couple of thoughts from yours truly:

1.  I am extremely disappointed with what I have seen to this point in the season.  I am sure this is not his intention, but he keeps shitting on the current roster when talking about the huge disparity in talent.  A huge part of football is self-confidence, and hearing that on more than one occasion can be a motivation killer.  Not a lot of wisdom in saying that publicly to media members, even if there is some truth to it. 

2.  I hope I am wrong about this... I am not seeing a whole lot of passion for winning right away from Hugh.  I am getting an attitude of "whatever will be, will be" by his tone, and by some of the things he says in his weekly pressers.  I personally would like to see a sense of urgency for improvement from the top down and immediate improvement.  Sucks that it needs to be against one of the best teams in the country, if not the best, but I want to see an exciting & effective offensive attack.  What we have seen up to this point looked like Gus Malzahn (in his worst years here) and Scott Loeffler (in his only year here) had a baby, and that baby is calling plays. 

I am trying to be slow to react on the whole thing.  It is a hard task to compete year in and year out with the best teams when we are needing to be pulled out of a ditch.  I have been unimpressed with Monty, and would like for Freeze and Cadillac to collaborate to get something in place that doesn't resemble a bag of mashed up asshole.
Basically, you are a much younger and fitter version of WT. I don’t know if you have a big long dick, too. But what you done said is where I am.

Dildo to all you said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2023, 02:41:49 PM »
Basically, you are a much younger and fitter version of WT. I don’t know if you have a big long dick, too. But what you done said is where I am.

Dildo to all you said.

Going back and reading what I wrote while trying to knock out some work left a lot to be desired in how it was worded & structured.  As I tell my wife and child, "ya get what ya get and don't pitch a fit".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.