Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Practice Report

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Practice Report
« on: August 08, 2023, 02:23:43 PM »
From Matt Cohen at al.com

Auburn held its third open practice of the preseason Tuesday morning, and its fifth practice overall. After early morning rain, Auburn used both the indoor and outdoor fields, but the biggest headline was certainly junior running back Jarquez Hunter being back on the field.

Here are our notes from practice Tuesday, starting with Hunter and hitting other key points on the offense.

Jarquez Hunter, Caleb Wooden return to practice
In what finally answered a looming question over Auburn’s offense — at least on the field — Jarquez Hunter was seen at practice during the period open to the media Tuesday.

Nor did it seem like Auburn was slowly working him back in. Hunter was in pads with the rest of the team and took snaps behind the projected offensive line starters.

He’s going to be Auburn’s starting running back, but many questions remain regarding the circumstances of his absence and return to practice. Auburn has not commented on Hunter’s status throughout the offseason after a sex tape was released allegedly showing the running back.

Defensive back Caleb Wooden also returned to practice Tuesday. He was also not seen at the first two open periods of Auburn practices.

Wide receiver Koy Moore has been at practice throughout the first few days, but has not been a full participant. He was again standing off on the sideline during offense drills Tuesday.

Robby Ashford and QB rotation continues
During the first two periods of practice open to the media, the order of quarterbacks seemed fairly static. Payton Thorne practiced behind the first-team offensive line, Holden Geriner with the second and Robby Ashford third.

That changed Tuesday. Ashford was with that projected offensive line starters, then Thorne, then Geriner.

How much does that mean? Well, hard to know. Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery both said there would be a rotation of quarterbacks throughout the first five practices before beginning to narrow down. Today was the fifth practice, so Ashford’s play with the top offensive line may be part of that.

On Tuesday, Ashford did have his best set of throws during any of the open portions to media, including his best-thrown deep-ball: hitting Cincinnati transfer wide receiver Nick Mardner for a touchdown. But again, all the drills open to media are without a defense.

Ashford is Auburn’s incumbent starter after showing some strong flashes at the end of the 2022 season. His 49% completion rate from last season though remains his biggest limitation.

Auburn’s next open practice is Thursday. How Auburn whittles down reps — if it does at all — could be telling. Montgomery mentioned looking to Auburn’s scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday as a point where a quarterback could separate themselves.

A look at some depth chart changes on the offensive line, wide receivers
Outside of Hunter’s return, arguably the biggest change to Auburn’s practice was on the offensive line.

After junior Tate Johnson was seen as the left guard on the top offensive line group, junior Jeremiah Wright. Wright started multiple games at that spot last season. Wright had been with the projected second-team offensive line during the first few days of fall camp.

Unlike many of the other position groups on Auburn’s offense that have seen significant rotation, the offensive line groupings had been static before Wright’s move. That means a change on the offensive line likely has more significance and in turn signifies Wright back on the first team.

Johnson played left guard with the second team.

Certainly, a lot of time remains before the opener against UMass on Sept. 2, so nothing is finalized yet.

Elsewhere on the offensive line, recent Northwestern transfer Dylan Senda worked on the second group as a left tackle.

The wide receivers, meanwhile, saw a lot of rotation again. Nick Mardner, Jay Fair, Omari Kelly, Shane Hooks and Jyaire Shorter all saw some amount of run with the top offensive line grouping and Jarquez Hunter on Tuesday. Ja’Varrius Johnson has been seen with all three offensive line groupings throughout the first feOn the second time through the teams on offensive drills, freshman Jeremiah Cobb played with Ashford and the first-team offensive line.

Later in practice, Mardner practiced with the tight end group at the Jugs machine while wide receivers worked elsewhere.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Practice Report
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 02:55:08 PM »
Sounds like U Free is keeping practice open to the media.  Don't know if it's a limited time frame, or if they're getting to see the whole practice.  I think Saybinz has closed it off this year.

I'm sure once they narrow it down and name a starter at QB, the access will be far more limited.

25 days, gentlemen. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 04:07:03 PM »
Sounds like U Free is keeping practice open to the media.  Don't know if it's a limited time frame, or if they're getting to see the whole practice.

RIF:

But again, all the drills open to media are without a defense.

Implies that there is a portion of practice that is not for public viewing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 04:13:07 PM »
RIF:

20 min media viewing window only on certain practices. Think after this first scrimmage, those viewing windows are phasing out.

Edit: Today's viewing window was 40 mins.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 04:33:13 PM by Snakebite »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 04:43:27 PM »
RIF:

No, just means they're running a passing drill, while the defensive guys run theirs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 04:49:34 PM »
No, just means they're running a passing drill, while the defensive guys run theirs.

I think the heat fried your brain.
friendly
funny
dislike
Members reacted friendly:
WiregrassTiger,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 04:53:29 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
WiregrassTiger,
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 05:03:53 PM »
I think the heat fried your brain.

The "whole" practice.  As in, entire practice.  As in, practice started at 9:00 a.m. and ended at 11:00 a.m.  You know, we got to see the whole practice, not just 30 minutes of it. Snake got it.

RIF
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted dislike:
WiregrassTiger,

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2023, 05:33:10 PM »
The "whole" practice.  As in, entire practice.  As in, practice started at 9:00 a.m. and ended at 11:00 a.m.  You know, we got to see the whole practice, not just 30 minutes of it. Snake got it.

RIF

And I are the dumbest on teh boardz... This is a win for me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2023, 05:38:09 PM »
RIF:

Yes it has long been established that there is a window in the early part of practice that press is allowed. Anyone with any kind of connection to or with the program knows this. Obviously, you did.

Some people are just not connected. Or, they are dumb.

Sometimes it is both.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

wesfau2

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2023, 05:49:30 PM »

RIF

I still have no idea what you're talking about.  The media gets to see some, but not all of practice. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2023, 05:58:38 PM »
I still have no idea what you're talking about.  The media gets to see some, but not all of practice.
Do you think anyone else knows what the fuck he’s talking about?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2023, 02:50:34 PM »
From Zac Blackerby at si.com

I wonder if the media will get to watch the whole practice tomorrow.

t's an off day for the football team but that's not going to stop the chatter happening around Hugh Freeze and this Auburn football team.

Several good reports are coming out of fall camp. While there are a lot of players that we've heard good things about, let's highlight three players that seem to be trending up early in fall camp.

Jyaire Shorter, WR

Jyaire Shorter was one of my favorite off-season additions via the transfer portal. His explosive play makes a ton of sense once you see him in person. He's a big, built, physical receiver that looks like he belongs in the SEC.

I spoke to a source yesterday that said he had some great reps with the ones yesterday. We will see if that momentum continues moving forward.

Keldrick Faulk, DE

Keldrick Faulk is getting more resp at defensive end than jack linebacker this fall camp and he's making it known. Yesterday, Faulk was with the starting defensive line on Tuesday.

End: Faulk
Nose: Jayson Jones
DT: Marcus Harris
Jack: Jalen McLeod

Austin Keys, LB

Despite the questions at linebacker, Austin Keys seems to be the constant first guy in with the rotations. The second line backer next to him continues to rotate. I've been told he's a good communicator in the middle of the defense and is continuing to get better at the position.

What's happening today
The Auburn Tigers are off today but we will still be putting up content at Auburn Daily.

They said it
I spoke with Auburn 2025 defensive lineman commit over the weekend and asked what the next step for Malik Autry was this season.

"I didn't really have the season I wanted to last season. I still. thank God, got the visits and the commitment and I still got offers even though I didn't have the season I wanted have last year. I feel like some people are still waiting to see that game film that they're looking for with me. So, I feel like this year is really my year just to show what I have in store because I feel like I don't have the game film right now. So, I'm just trying to put out all my talents on the table so everybody can see that there won't be any questions going forward."

We wrote it
Auburn Daily's Joshua Collins compared Hugh Freeze to the other coaches in the SEC West. Certainly worth a read. Here's part of the article.

Coach Freeze brings with him a culture of hope, tenacity, and hard work to make the changes so desperately needed within the Auburn football program to turn the page to a brighter and more successful future for not only the athletes and the student body but also the loyal Auburn fanbase.
In quoting Coach Freeze in a recent Auburn media release, his message to the players on the team highlights so much about his character as a head coach and a mentor to these young men asking of his players “Will there be a fire burning inside you that’s hotter than any furnace that is put before you.” This sentiment speaks to the value Coach Freeze places on putting all your soul into this game we all know and love. This is the culture he brings to the plains, and I am excited to see it grow across the roster and across the fan base as his career begins on the Plains.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2023, 02:53:32 PM »
Not being Negative Nancy here, but those quotes from Malik Autry sound like if he has a good season, and gets some mo bettah highlights, he'll be opening up that recruitment again.

That's too far off to worry about.  If he does, we didn't want him anyway. He's only a 2*.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2023, 04:24:49 PM »
You know, it is no wonder those blacks beat the fuck out of those whites in Montgomery at the river.

There are some dumbass white people from Montgomery. (Not you snake. You just reside there)

RIF The media gets to see SOME but not ALL of practice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2023, 04:43:50 PM »
You know, it is no wonder those blacks beat the fuck out of those whites in Montgomery at the river.

There are some dumbass white people from Montgomery. (Not you snake. You just reside there)

RIF The media gets to see SOME but not ALL of practice.

I'll beat the fuck out of you, with a folding chair. 

I was actually a block from there while that was going on.  Class reunion.  But totally oblivious as I was upstairs on the dance floor, shakin' dat ass.  I heard sirens, but thought it was just the fire trucks coming to put out Snagette's smokin' hot body.

I tagged that hot ass later that night.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 05:02:27 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2023, 05:34:54 PM »

I was actually a block from there while that was going on.  Class reunion.  But totally oblivious as I was upstairs on the dance floor, shakin' dat ass.  I heard sirens, but thought it was just the fire trucks coming to put out Snagette's smokin' hot body.

What about your smoking hot body?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2023, 09:05:50 AM »

All kidding aside, there is mild, medium and hot. She is fiery.

I love the sting of hot sauce on my lips.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2023, 11:32:55 AM »
From Andrew Stefaniak at si.com. 

I think he got to watch the whole practice

On Thursday's fall camp practice, Payton Thorne ran out with the starters, with Robby Ashford working with the twos and Holden Geriner working with the threes.

Geriner and Ashford worked with the ones on Tuesday's practice, with Thorne going with the twos, which had many scratching their heads.

It seems this was just a way to get Geriner and Ashford some reps with the starting offensive weapons.

Of the four viewing periods we have had, Thorne has been with the starters at three of them.

Throne threw some impressive passes during the viewing period that really got me excited about his upside.

It still feels like this is Throne's race to lose, as we are now over a week into fall camp.

The only question now is when Coach Freeze will get this race down from three quarterbacks to two. He said at SEC Media Days he would do this ten days into fall camp.

Here is the entire schedule for fall camp:

Thurs, Aug 3 8:30 a.m. – Coach Hugh Freeze press conference (Woltosz multipurpose room)

9:30 a.m. – Practice starts – media viewing window time TBA (individual drill periods)

Fri, Aug 4 9:30 a.m. – Practice starts – media viewing window time TBA (individual drill periods)

11:30 a.m. – Player interviews (Woltosz multipurpose room)

Sat, Aug 5 – No practice

Sun, Aug 6 9:30 a.m. – Practice – no media

Mon, Aug 7 11:30 a.m. – Coordinator interviews after practice (Woltosz multipurpose room)

Tues, Aug 8 9:30 a.m. – Practice starts – media viewing window time TBA (individual drill periods)

11:30 a.m. – Player interviews (Woltosz multipurpose room)

Weds, Aug 9 – No practice

Thurs, Aug 10 9:30 a.m. – Practice starts – media viewing window time TBA (individual drill periods)

11:30 a.m. – Defensive assistant coach interviews/not Coach Roberts (Woltosz multipurpose room)

Fri, Aug 11 11:30 a.m. – Player interviews (Woltosz multipurpose room)

Sat, Aug 12 9:20 a.m. – Scrimmage at stadium – media can view individual drill periods (time TBA)

11:30 a.m. – Coach Hugh Freeze interview (Jordan-Hare Stadium media room)

Sun, Aug 13 – No practice

Mon, Aug 14 11:30 a.m. – Player interviews (Woltosz multipurpose room)

Tues, Aug 15 9:30 a.m. – Practice starts – media viewing window time TBA (individual drill periods)

11:30 a.m. – Offensive assistant coach interviews/not Coach Montgomery (Woltosz multipurpose room)

Weds, Aug 16 – No practice – first day of class

Thurs, Aug 17 4:00 p.m. – Coach Hugh Freeze press conference (Woltosz multipurpose room)

5:00 p.m. – Practice starts – media viewing window time TBA (individual drill periods)

Fri, Aug 18 4:10 p.m. – Practice – no media

Sat, Aug 19 9:50 a.m. – Scrimmage at stadium – no media viewing

11:30 a.m. – Coordinator interviews (location TBA)

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2023, 11:40:50 AM »
any word on RIF?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions