Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Roster Overhaul Writeup

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Roster Overhaul Writeup
« on: May 25, 2023, 08:49:59 AM »
In full disclosure, this was written by a HS coach in AL who is also a poster on several boards across the Auburn footprint. He addressed the areas of need and what was done to fix them in the offseason. His takes to me, are pretty spot on usually. If any of you guys have ever been on On3+, the Bunker, and a few of the other premium sites, you've probably seen his posts.

Let’s start with the most important position:

QB-Thorne is, at worst, the 6th best QB in the SEC when you look at the league’s projected starters. Whereas AU’s QB room prior to Thorne was probably bottom 2.

WR-AU brought in more career production in three players Mardner, Shorter, Hooks, than what existed on the entire roster. These bigger receivers may struggle to get separation to the same degree against SEC corners, BUT they offer the size and verticality that AU lacked and should get more 1-on-1 opportunities in an RPO based scheme.

TE-The room was good, but Fairweather has an elite athletic skill set that AU lacked there. He may be the most impactful transfer outside of Thorne. RPOs and playaction shots in the seam will be where he makes money.

OL-Complete overhaul. Wade is an NFL player-he compares favorably in terms of athleticism and execution to Broderick Jones just smaller-as is Jones at Center. Britton is the one I’m least sold on, but the scheme not being dropback heavy like WKU was May help in avoid frequent isolation bs SEC edge players.

DL-MNK was a steal, he won’t wow with stats but he’s a warrior who will create opportunities for others in the pressure scheme. Anxious to see if Rogers plays up to his potential. McLeod(sp?) will be the teams best pass rusher and combine with McCallister (who anchors well vs the run) to essentially form one complete player.

LB-Second biggest upgrade on team. Keys and Nixon are a big, physical tandem that will upgrade the run defense exponentially from game one. Tolan is an asset as a dime backer that can cover and pressure with speed on passing downs.

All in all, the floor was probably 3 wins with the roster CHF inherited. Now this is at worst a mid tier bowl team IMO. If the other “issues” are resolved, and this team is at full strength, the ceiling may be higher than we expect with the amount of turnover in the conference. I’m not a transfer portal fan, BUT it has allowed a roster rebuild in a short time line I’ve never seen before at AU. If it weren’t for Travis Hunter’s inflated ranking at CU, this would be the best/most complete CFB portal class by anyone, to date. USC’s was great last year, but only bc of two players-Williams and Addison.

I think this is a 7-8 win team as of now, and could wind up being 2 wins better if the ball bounces AU’s way a few times.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 08:51:51 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Re: Roster Overhaul Writeup
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 09:25:01 AM »
An encouraging write up.

Surprising that Britton is the question mark, as I thought the perception was that he was the best of the transfer O-linemen that we brought in.

Hoping, praying, crossing fingers, and all the other things I can do that “the issues” get resolved with very minimal negative impact to the team/culture.

Maybe Quez can keep it in his pants… or at least turn his phone off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 09:48:53 AM »
An encouraging write up.

Surprising that Britton is the question mark, as I thought the perception was that he was the best of the transfer O-linemen that we brought in.

Hoping, praying, crossing fingers, and all the other things I can do that “the issues” get resolved with very minimal negative impact to the team/culture.

Maybe Quez can keep it in his pants… or at least turn his phone off.

His statement kind of contradicts itself, to me.  WKU threw it right at 45 times a game last season. On one hand, he's saying he doesn't think Britton would hold up against SEC caliber rushers.  But since U Free doesn't run that type of scheme, it may help him.  Actually, if Britton has been pass blocking 75% of the time, I would think that's more up his alley.  I'd be more worried about the push he'll be able to get against SEC lines in the run game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 03:23:13 PM »
His statement kind of contradicts itself, to me.  WKU threw it right at 45 times a game last season. On one hand, he's saying he doesn't think Britton would hold up against SEC caliber rushers.  But since U Free doesn't run that type of scheme, it may help him.  Actually, if Britton has been pass blocking 75% of the time, I would think that's more up his alley.  I'd be more worried about the push he'll be able to get against SEC lines in the run game.

A true RPO system is a bit of a wild card.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 04:00:45 PM »
Speaking of O-lines.  Greatest AU line of all time. 2010 

Ryan Pugh
Byron Isom
Mike Berry
Lee Ziemba
Brandon Mosely

Best RPO line of all time. 2013

Reese Dismukes
Avery Young
Chad Slade
Alex Kozan
Greg Robinson

I just skeeted a little in my Hanes boxers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 04:10:20 PM »
Speaking of O-lines.  Greatest AU line of all time. 2010 

Ryan Pugh
Byron Isom
Mike Berry
Lee Ziemba
Brandon Mosely

Best RPO line of all time. 2013

Reese Dismukes
Avery Young
Chad Slade
Alex Kozan
Greg Robinson

I just skeeted a little in my Hanes boxers.
2010 was a good o line but there were some Dye and Tub’s era lines that were as good or better.

And I don’t think that RPO lines are separated from other lines. At least by people who know what the fuck they are talking about.

I don’t know about the perspective of people who don’t know what the fuck they are talking. So, you may be right, in that regard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 04:23:15 PM »
2010 was a good o line but there were some Dye and Tub’s era lines that were as good or better.

And I don’t think that RPO lines are separated from other lines. At least by people who know what the fuck they are talking about.

I don’t know about the perspective of people who don’t know what the fuck they are talking. So, you may be right, in that regard.

Jane, you ignorant slut. 

Outside of Mosely, the 2010 line had well over 100 starts together. They won the National Championship.  And spare me the Cam take.  He doesn't sniff of a Heisman or a Natty without those guys. 

In 2013, they coached them to run the RPO.  So, yeah!

Dumbass
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 04:48:43 PM »
'Ol B-Mosley is not a fan of Snakebite.  He once chased me out of a townhome with ill intentions. 

For being 6'6", 300 lbs... He can move.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 04:54:10 PM »
'Ol B-Mosley is not a fan of Snakebite.  He once chased me out of a townhome with ill intentions. 

For being 6'6", 300 lbs... He can move.

Were you giving his girl the Jarquez, and he came home early?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2023, 05:21:36 PM »
Were you giving his girl the Jarquez, and he came home early?
If he was giving her the Jarquez, it would have involved another snake.

Maybe a jarhead. That’s kinky.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com