Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

UFC Loses A Legend

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
UFC Loses A Legend
« on: April 26, 2023, 03:22:18 PM »
Not football related, but who cares?  There's only 3 people on the board.  I was a huge UFC fan during the early years.  As a matter of fact, Dothan played a part in getting it off the ground.  The UFC had scheduled their first big, televised event in New York City.  Apparently, some activists, politicians, or whoever, thought the sport was too brutal, and legislation was quickly enacted to ban it from the State.  This was literally some last minute stuff, and somehow, somebody here had connections with UFC management, and they agreed to move the event to the Dothan Civic Center.

It was crazy night, but more on that story later.

Anyway, I followed the sport very closely, and there was one fight in particular that was instrumental in putting UFC on the map.  They started a show called The Ultimate Fighter. Kind a reality show, but about as real a reality show as a reality show can get.  Really.  They would put a bunch of up and coming fighters in a house, divide them into teams, have a famous coach for each team, and then have the two teams fight it out until there was one left from each team.  Then, they would have those two fight on one of the real UFC cards, with the winner getting a contract.

The very first one pitted Stephan Bonnar against Forrest Griffin.  If you have any interest in the fight game, pull that fight up and watch it. It was F'n brutal, with both guys beating the hell out of each other.  Griffin was declared the winner, but you could have flipped a coin. 

I say all that to say, I just saw where Stephan Bonnar died a few months ago.  It came up because apparently, they just found out the cause was the good ole fentanyl overdose.  45 years old.  Why on earth anybody messes with that stuff is beyond me.  But, the UFC really lost a legend in Bonnar.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Re: UFC Loses A Legend
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 04:01:05 PM »
Not football related, but who cares?  There's only 3 people on the board.  I was a huge UFC fan during the early years.  As a matter of fact, Dothan played a part in getting it off the ground.  The UFC had scheduled their first big, televised event in New York City.  Apparently, some activists, politicians, or whoever, thought the sport was too brutal, and legislation was quickly enacted to ban it from the State.  This was literally some last minute stuff, and somehow, somebody here had connections with UFC management, and they agreed to move the event to the Dothan Civic Center.

Anyway, I followed the sport very closely, and there was one fight in particular that was instrumental in putting UFC on the map.  They started a show called The Ultimate Fighter. Kind a reality show, but about as real a reality show as a reality show can get.  Really.  They would put a bunch of up and coming fighters in a house, divide them into teams, have a famous coach for each team, and then have the two teams fight it out until there was one left from each team.  Then, they would have those two fight on one of the real UFC cards, with the winner getting a contract.

The very first one pitted Stephan Bonnar against Forrest Griffin.  If you have any interest in the fight game, pull that fight up and watch it. It was F'n brutal, with both guys beating the hell out of each other.  Griffin was declared the winner, but you could have flipped a coin. 

I say all that to say, I just saw where Stephan Bonnar died a few months ago.  It came up because apparently, they just found out the cause was the good ole fentanyl overdose.  45 years old.  Why on earth anybody messes with that stuff is beyond me.  But, the UFC really lost a legend in Bonnar.

Supposedly, it is laced in most recreational drugs these days, and a lot of times it is unbeknownst to the end user.

Where I work, we had a gentleman that was on one of our field crews that died from an overdose on that stuff. You now how much it takes to kill someone? It’s about equal to the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen. Scary shite.

Why anyone would want to tamper with anything beyond the sticky icky is beyond me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 12:05:00 PM »
Cops have to carry NARCAN now. Ive seen more than a few body cam videos where they came in contact with it apprehending someone and black out in their car and need immediate medical attention. Scary indeed. Except for Token. That dude is a badass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 12:52:32 PM »
Cops have to carry NARCAN now. Ive seen more than a few body cam videos where they came in contact with it apprehending someone and black out in their car and need immediate medical attention. Scary indeed. Except for Token. That dude is a badass.

Does not affect anyone through casual contact with their skin.

Can fentanyl be absorbed through the skin or by touching an item or surface where it is present?
It is a common misconception that fentanyl can be absorbed through the skin, but it is not true for casual exposure. You can't overdose on fentanyl by touching a doorknob or dollar bill. The one case in which fentanyl can be absorbed through the skin is with a special doctor-prescribed fentanyl skin patch, and even then, it takes hours of exposure.

https://health.ucdavis.edu/news/headlines/can-fentanyl-be-absorbed-through-your-skin/2022/10
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 12:54:09 PM »

Saw that fight as well. In fact, I believe we were living in Eufalalala at the time. 2009ish? I liked the old Math teacher gone fighter bit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 01:17:14 PM »
I don’t know for a fact but I heard Token traded fentanyl for butt sex with an inmate and got into trouble.

The thing that makes me suspicious about that being true is that I would have thought they would pound him in the ass for free.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 03:08:29 PM »
Saw that fight as well. In fact, I believe we were living in Eufalalala at the time. 2009ish? I liked the old Math teacher gone fighter bit.

Some fights really stand out above all others.  Many moons ago, it was the heavyweights that ruled boxing, obviously with Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton etc.  Iron Mike revived the heavyweight division for several years, but IMO, the best era in boxing was when the likes of Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hit Man Hearns and a few others were in their prime. 

Hearns and Hagler had a match for the ages.  The first round alone was absolutely epic. Both fighters trying to take each other out with every blow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 08:01:32 PM »
Does not affect anyone through casual contact with their skin.

Can fentanyl be absorbed through the skin or by touching an item or surface where it is present?
It is a common misconception that fentanyl can be absorbed through the skin, but it is not true for casual exposure. You can't overdose on fentanyl by touching a doorknob or dollar bill. The one case in which fentanyl can be absorbed through the skin is with a special doctor-prescribed fentanyl skin patch, and even then, it takes hours of exposure.

https://health.ucdavis.edu/news/headlines/can-fentanyl-be-absorbed-through-your-skin/2022/10

Never said skin. Contact most likely being incidental ingestion through airways. Most cops I’ve seen OD on it in fact had on gloves so yeah. Scary shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 12:39:11 PM »
Never said skin. Contact most likely being incidental ingestion through airways. Most cops I’ve seen OD on it in fact had on gloves so yeah. Scary shit.

"“(NPR) couldn't find a single case of a police officer who reported being poisoned by fentanyl or overdosing after encountering the street drug that was confirmed by toxicology reports.”

https://twitter.com/RyanMarino/status/1658617633468497920
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 01:00:53 PM »
"“(NPR) couldn't find a single case of a police officer who reported being poisoned by fentanyl or overdosing after encountering the street drug that was confirmed by toxicology reports.”

Still is scary shit that should not be fucked with.  What's worse is that it is being laced in with other things without the knowledge of end users (at least that is what I hear horror stories of).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

wesfau2

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 03:32:48 PM »
What's worse is that it is being laced in with other things without the knowledge of end users (at least that is what I hear horror stories of).

This part, yes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2023, 07:51:10 PM »

When it comes to being experts on illicit drugs and reactions, I always turn to NPR. I guess these cops are just acting out placebo effects for fun. I'd really like NPR (snicker) to explain why all those cops are passing out behind the wheel after encounters with the stuff.

Again, not skin... If the shit is being freebased (laced in coke), it can absolutely be ingested accidentally. No one said they OD'd (like that little dickhead Marino worded it) or that it was common but it has happened. Point is - the shit is extremely dangerous.

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sent a statement to NPR saying the agency does believe some officers nationwide have experienced medical symptoms after encountering fentanyl. None of those cases involved actual overdoses and none appeared life-threatening."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2023, 12:38:47 AM »
No one can know with any certainty what they are getting from street dealers, including the dealers.
It's very common now for a person to think they are buying powder cocaine and be dead within the hour just from a tiny hit of the drug. Without immediate assistance of Narcan there is no way to revive that person as they are aspirating, basically drowning. CPR is futile.
Emergency personnel often think that heroin is the culprit but more often than not it is from something cut with fentanyl.

It's very possible for a heroin addict to die from overdose but more common for a recovering addict that has been relatively clean for a while to die from trying to use the same amount of the drug that gave them the previous desired results... and overdose.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2023, 09:20:58 AM »
No one said they OD'd (like that little dickhead Marino worded it) or that it was common but it has happened.

You literally said that:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2023, 04:56:54 PM »
This is an interesting argument between GH and Wes. Both guys are used to being wrong.

After careful deliberation and reading this thread numerous times, I have decided to side with JMAR.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2023, 10:46:44 PM »
This is an interesting argument between GH and Wes. Both guys are used to being wrong.

After careful deliberation and reading this thread numerous times, I have decided to side with JMAR.
Knew I could count on your bias but am under the impression that skin contact with fentanyl can in fact prove deadly although I have never done any extensive research in the matter.

I can only tell you it's best not to go to the face after slicing jalapenos.

[size=78%] [/size]
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2023, 09:00:10 AM »

I can only tell you it's best not to go to the face after slicing jalapenos.

[size=78%] [/size]
I can tell you, based on personal experience, that the face is not the only place one should not go.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions