Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Star Trek - Original

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Star Trek - Original
« on: February 12, 2023, 11:25:25 AM »
One of the advantages o Pluto is you can watch old TV episodes one after another. 

The original Star Trek (from the 60s) is today's odd choice. 

For its time, it was groundbreaking. But time isn't kind to it.  Production values, special effects, setting... all of that is really good considering it was cardboard, staples and Elmer's glue.  The half naked women in almost every episode is interesting.  Right now, I'm watching 60's era Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) - painted green - writhe all over yet another megalomaniac bent on taking over Kirk's Enterprise (a familiar storyline repeated time after time).  She's wearing some purple strips of clothing and little else.   The makeup is honestly fantastic.  Rivals anything you'd see now in multi-million dollar productions. 

I also get that the show was extremely progressive.  Inclusion, diversity, interracial interactions, all that.  It made that palatable by adding aliens and other species to the mix.  What's so shocking about Kirk kissing Uhura when he's already stuck his phaser in blue and green women, shape shifting monsters and other assorted oddities?  As a kid, though, I didn't care anything about all that.  .Watching it now, it's really kind of amusing that Kirk either fucked or fought his way out of every confrontation. Many times he did both. Good gig if you can get it, I guess.

Kirk is. Such. A bad. Actor.   That is worse than I remember.

I already know how this episode I'm watching with Batgirl will end. Green girl will get horny for Kirk, betray her master and Kirk will punch him out. 

It's still an interesting watch. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

chinook

Re: Star Trek - Original
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 05:33:38 PM »
never watched an episode. inspiration.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 07:41:51 PM »
Shatner is a cool dude. Much respect for being in that shape at his age. But yeah acting wasn’t the best. I liked him in twilight zone more than anything. And that show in the early 90s about calling for an ambulance.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 04:55:16 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 01:46:50 PM »
I also get that the show was extremely progressive.  Inclusion, diversity, interracial interactions, all that.  It made that palatable by adding aliens and other species to the mix. 

But nothing felt forced.  Uhura wasn't (at least to me) a black woman who was a comm officer.  She was just a comm officer.  No one (I think) gave two shits that the weapons officer was a Russian.  He was just the weapons officer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Kaos,
No reactions