Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Let’s talk diversity

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Let’s talk diversity
« on: February 23, 2023, 09:59:35 PM »
I have an employee.  In my new venture I hire mostly college aged kids.  It’s a part time position and it’s pretty transient. Class schedules change, graduation, etc.  I’m always hiring. 

Last fall I had two black guys, two black girls, one Asian/black mix, one middle eastern girl, a Chinese guy and a white guy. 

Since:  both black guys and the white guy left and the mixed girl moved.  I’ve since hired four people.  Two white guys and one who is white/Egyptian and a white girl.  Those four are literally the only people who applied and came close to meeting the qualifications. 

The black girl who has worked for me the longest (over 2 years) asks to meet today.  She says “you know, this is the least diverse your organization has ever been.”

I tell her i hire who applies.  She says she wasn’t asking me to do anything.  She’s just making a statement.  Then she says “we were pretty diverse last summer.” 

I ask her to define diversity.  “When all or most of your employees look like me.” 

So I ask her how in the world that would be diverse.  “That’s what diversity means.  You only hire people who are underrepresented.  Not all these white people.” 

So I got out the statistics.  Blacks are 12% of the population.  About 20% of my staff is black.  I’m going to continue to hire people who can do the job and I don’t give the first shit what color they are.

That gets me “it’s not about quotas or statistics.  It’s about hiring people like her instead of white people. But as a cis white man raised in racism I will never understand. 

Is that what “diversity” means?  Hire people who are not qualified because of the color of their skin? Does she have any clue how racist that is? 

And she says she can’t be racist because she’s been oppressed all her life. 

I tell her she’s paid more than anybody else who works for me.  She was promoted over others.  She is in a supervisory position over everybody there except me.  How is she oppressed. 

Again. I’m racist.  I don’t see the microaggressions she faces all day.  And this isn’t about her.  It’s about her people and how my hiring isn’t diverse enough because the majority isn’t black. 

Fuck this. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Re: Let’s talk diversity
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 10:30:11 PM »
I have an employee.  In my new venture I hire mostly college aged kids.  It’s a part time position and it’s pretty transient. Class schedules change, graduation, etc.  I’m always hiring. 

Last fall I had two black guys, two black girls, one Asian/black mix, one middle eastern girl, a Chinese guy and a white guy. 

Since:  both black guys and the white guy left and the mixed girl moved.  I’ve since hired four people.  Two white guys and one who is white/Egyptian and a white girl.  Those four are literally the only people who applied and came close to meeting the qualifications. 

The black girl who has worked for me the longest (over 2 years) asks to meet today.  She says “you know, this is the least diverse your organization has ever been.”

I tell her i hire who applies.  She says she wasn’t asking me to do anything.  She’s just making a statement.  Then she says “we were pretty diverse last summer.” 

I ask her to define diversity.  “When all or most of your employees look like me.” 

So I ask her how in the world that would be diverse.  “That’s what diversity means.  You only hire people who are underrepresented.  Not all these white people.” 

So I got out the statistics.  Blacks are 12% of the population.  About 20% of my staff is black.  I’m going to continue to hire people who can do the job and I don’t give the first shit what color they are.

That gets me “it’s not about quotas or statistics.  It’s about hiring people like her instead of white people. But as a cis white man raised in racism I will never understand. 

Is that what “diversity” means?  Hire people who are not qualified because of the color of their skin? Does she have any clue how racist that is? 

And she says she can’t be racist because she’s been oppressed all her life. 

I tell her she’s paid more than anybody else who works for me.  She was promoted over others.  She is in a supervisory position over everybody there except me.  How is she oppressed. 

Again. I’m racist.  I don’t see the microaggressions she faces all day.  And this isn’t about her.  It’s about her people and how my hiring isn’t diverse enough because the majority isn’t black. 

Fuck this.

Fire her as an “at will” employer. Get some one that is under qualified, yet reasonable & competent to do the job.

A manifestation of truth on her part… Play the victim, be the victim.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 12:25:41 AM »
Fire her as an “at will” employer. Get some one that is under qualified, yet reasonable & competent to do the job.

A manifestation of truth on her part… Play the victim, be the victim.

If she hadn't already resigned I would.  She's got about five days left. Playing out the string.  Graduates in May and is fuming because she hasn't been offered a $300,000 a year position already.  She took an internship making $400 a week.  She's not getting hired for the big money jobs because she's black and a woman.  Not because she has ZERO experience in the field. 

Over the last six months or so she's become proficient at casting herself as the victim in every situation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 06:04:10 AM »
If she hadn't already resigned I would.  She's got about five days left. Playing out the string.  Graduates in May and is fuming because she hasn't been offered a $300,000 a year position already.  She took an internship making $400 a week.  She's not getting hired for the big money jobs because she's black and a woman.  Not because she has ZERO experience in the field. 

Over the last six months or so she's become proficient at casting herself as the victim in every situation.

I hope she grows and changes her outlook. Yes, there’s racism in this world. Yes, there’s sexism in this world. However, it is not running rampant in our society. Capitalism doesn’t care about identity politics… she can go as far as she wants to in life, and hopefully one day will stop complaining.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 01:02:34 PM »
I hope she grows and changes her outlook. Yes, there’s racism in this world. Yes, there’s sexism in this world. However, it is not running rampant in our society. Capitalism doesn’t care about identity politics… she can go as far as she wants to in life, and hopefully one day will stop complaining.
You are wise beyond your years. Systemic racism? Come on now. I got into this discussion with a youngster who happened to be my boss at a more recent job. He’s a liberal. To make a long story short, he believed in systemic racism. He’s a white boy who grew up in Memphis. It was uphill when he walked to school and on the trip coming back home.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 03:24:01 PM »
You are wise beyond your years. Systemic racism? Come on now. I got into this discussion with a youngster who happened to be my boss at a more recent job. He’s a liberal. To make a long story short, he believed in systemic racism. He’s a white boy who grew up in Memphis. It was uphill when he walked to school and on the trip coming back home.
Surprised he would give a racist like you a job at the Dollar Tree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 03:58:49 PM »

Now, that's some quality internetin'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 04:00:15 PM »
White liberals are the scourge of this country.
They see black folks as lesser humans all the while extolling their own supposedly tolerant virtues.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 04:53:39 PM »
They are an equal opportunity employer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2023, 10:17:57 PM »
Lulz at dumbass people.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 10:12:07 AM »
Lulz at dumbass people.
Some days, you are so sweet to Snags it’s like sugar is dripping off of your words. Then, you come in with something mean, like this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2023, 11:15:13 AM »
Some days, you are so sweet to Snags it’s like sugar is dripping off of your words. Then, you come in with something mean, like this.

Yeah....and?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE